• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rita is on the prowl

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
firefriendly said:
I just want to know why theres a Cat 5 in the Gulf bearing down on Houson and all the news wants to talk about is New Orleans..."we might see some rain and that could do stuff to things....we suck", Although I haven't been watching a large amount of news, whenever I turn it on all I've heard about Rita is the damage it may do to LOUISIANA. Bah

Not enough minorities...besides they got a lot of good pictures of damage from N.O. and don't want to let that go...Other than that reminding everyone of N.O. lets them keep bashing Bush...

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
We tried to evacuate to Austin at 4:00 AM but the roads are out of control. 24 hour drive between Houston and Dallas (normally a 4-5 hour drive). We'll be riding it out from the master bedroom closet as of right now (luckily I'm in far northwest Houston). Latest word is that it's turned East and we'll "only" get 60-80 MPH winds. Wish us luck!

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
Thanks!

I'm not sure if Kingwood is high or low, but it is pretty far north of town. They haven't been listed in any of the mandatory or voluntary evacuations and I did notice that their schools were late to close for today and tomorrow (my best friend teaches at Kingwood high school so I was watching for it) which leads me to believe that they are probably in about the same situation as me (high winds, not much flooding expected).

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Kathy said:
Wish us luck!

Indeed wishing you all the best.

Of course, fill bathtub for general use water. Remember your water heater holds 50 - 75 (size) of drinking water. Drain from bottom of heater as needed, remember must open a faucet to break vacuum and allow water flow. Now would be a good time to drain your tank to remove any sediment that has collected in there. Should be an annual procedure as it prolongs life of tank as well as improves efficiency. Draining it will give you clean water from the get go if you need it. Also depending on circumstances, consider closing main water valve to isolate water heater from external water supply.

God speed

Pags

N/A
pilot
The Chief said:
Indeed wishing you all the best.

Of course, fill bathtub for general use water. Remember your water heater holds 50 - 75 (size) of drinking water. Drain from bottom of heater as needed, remember must open a faucet to break vacuum and allow water flow. Now would be a good time to drain your tank to remove any sediment that has collected in there. Should be an annual procedure as it prolongs life of tank as well as improves efficiency. Draining it will give you clean water from the get go if you need it. Also depending on circumstances, consider closing main water valve to isolate water heater from external water supply.

God speed

That's some good systems knowledge and a little bit of home PMS thrown in to boot.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Kathy said:
We tried to evacuate to Austin at 4:00 AM but the roads are out of control. 24 hour drive between Houston and Dallas (normally a 4-5 hour drive). We'll be riding it out from the master bedroom closet as of right now (luckily I'm in far northwest Houston). Latest word is that it's turned East and we'll "only" get 60-80 MPH winds. Wish us luck!

It took me twelve hrs to get from H-town to Nacogdoches on 59N. I left it 0200 and I got to Humble at 0600! Then Porter at 0900! And I stuck to the feeder road which was moving faster than 59N! We are talking maybe 20 miles from my apartment over by the Galleria. 20 miles in 7 hrs! At that rate I would just now be getting to Livingston, which is ~1/2 way between Nacogdoches and Houston and normally only 1.5 hrs drive time.

I stuck to the feeder road which was moving faster than 59N. At Porter I was lucky enough to find a map of the Conroe/Lake Conroe area and I hit the backroads. I drove north on the back roads until my map ran out, then Dairy Creamer filled me with info to get to Huntsville with out getting on 45 or 75. Once I got to Huntsville, I hit the appropriate back road and it took me on to Nacogdoches. I got here at 1430!

So yeah its nuts and nobody, anywhere, had gasoline.

Mass exodus is not fun.

Good luck Cathy!

phrogpilot73

The Chief said:
WOW, things I never would have thought about... Hanker down, good Texans! My squadron will be there on Tuesday to look out for you guys... Jesus, we got home last month - now we're going to Texas (MS as of right now), and Rumsfeld says we need a SMALLER military?!? When's the last time he went on a deployment?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
and Rumsfeld says we need a SMALLER military?!? When's the last time he went on a deployment?

Don't even get me started...

nugget81

pilot
Jolly Roger said:
20 miles in 7 hrs!

So yeah its nuts and nobody, anywhere, had gasoline.

You could ride a bicycle farther in much less time. Doesn't require any gas either. Just an observation...

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
nugget81 said:
You could ride a bicycle farther in much less time. Doesn't require any gas either. Just an observation...

Yeah, I know. My folks would have had a fit if I Ho Chi Minhed it out. It would have been fun carrying my uniforms, clothes, and valuables out by bike. I am just glad some people weren't bright enough to get off 59N. If all the Texas road maps in the Houston metro area hadn't been sold out, I definate would have gone the back roads earlier.

Oh, well, as far as my gas consumption goes I only used a half tank and that is what I normally burn going between Nacogdoches and Houston. I managed to top off in little town off the beaten path and hardly anybody was there.

Good stuff info, Chief. We are doing a lot that stuff right now.