• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC to OCS?

jcivic1082

I am currently in AFROTC and can not stand it. It is not what I thought it was going to be, and I am now looking at the Marine Corps. I was wondering if anyone else has made the switch from ROTC to OCS, and what they received on their DOD Form 785, and what the implications were when they applied for OCS. Do you have to get a waiver for the form 785, was it hard to get? Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Crowbar

None
Did you quit? Get kicked out? Were you on scholarship? College program? How many years did you finish? Did you do any summer training? Is there an NROTC unit at your school? What specificially can't you stand about it?

jcivic1082

I have not been kicked out. I dont like how things are run with in AFROTC and in the AF. I have many friends that have alreday graduated and they have the same sentiment. I have gone through 4 years already(engineering major),I have gone to feild training and was also a CTA. There is not a NROTC unit here, but there is an OSO office located near by. I am basically looking for someone who has switched or is in the process of switching so I can ask questions about how things worked out and if there is anything specifically do .

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
I went from good ole' AFROTC to doing PLC with the Marines. There is a world of difference between the services as far as I can tell, especially mindset. Am I glad I switched to the Marines? Hell Yeah, and I emphasize HELL YEAH. My story was a little different than your's however. I got out of AFROTC after my freshmen year. I was not on scholarship and obviously had not completed field training. So the question is whether or not you can even seperate from ROTC. I know in my unit last year they were even letting seniors go who wanted to who had completed field training and had been on scholarship for almost four years. Don't know if they're still doing that, but once again is it even possible for you to seperate? If it is possible for you to seperate, then you should have no problem getting accepted by the Marines provided your package is competitive. If you have any questions regarding the Marine Corps, etc. Ask them, because there is a wealth of knowledge on this board.

jcivic1082

Thanks for your input FLYMARINES. I do feel that my package is competitive for OCS. But the only thing im worried about is the DOD form 785. It have five boxes of which one is checked, it ranges form "highly acceptabe candidate for other service officer program" all the way to "do not accept". I know of other rotc cadets that got out on the voulentary release program and were given the middle option of "select with needs of the force".

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
I don't know anything about DOD form 785. The CoC didn't have a DOD form785 to fill out in the case with me. I just went into his office and told him that after this semester I was going to sign on with the Marines because I felt the Marines were a better fit for me. I asked him if he would mind writting a letter of recommendation for me and he said yes. He told me to write-up a draft and give it to him and he would make changes as he saw fit. I have no idea about this form you speak of because I didn't have to deal with it.

TheGreatWaldo

pilot
I made the transfer from AFROTC over to the Marine Corps. I was one semester away from commissioning into the AF and had an alcohol related incident that resulted in me being disenrolled last January. I had been in ROTC for 3 1/2 years, pilot slot, outstanding cadet, but still recieved a 3 on DD 785 (needs of service). I went to the OSO and told him my situation and he told me that he would give me a chance. That's all I needed. I got a recommendation letter from my PAS and worked like hell to show my OSO that I was serious about being in the Marines. Took the air test, got a waiver (credit due to my OSO), and started some hard core PT. I couldn't even do 1 pullup at the time. I went to OCS last summer and am now a 2Lt waiting for TBS. All this in less than a year. It can be done, but make no mistake that it is a different mentality and much more intense. If you're looking for an air slot, it may be easier to do the PLC program than the OCC...I had to extend for a semester of school to do PLC. Right now I do believe they are still letting cadets get out (a buddy of mine just got out last semester). Looking back, I definitely think the Marine Corps is a better fit for me......blessing in disguise. Hope this helps.

P.S. You will find that most OSOs will go to bat for you if you show them that you are dedicated, no matter how long they've known you.

flyinguga

Waldo,

If you hadn't been disenrolled, would you have requested to be seperated and then applied to OCS, or would you have applied and then asked to be seperated?

TheGreatWaldo

pilot
To be honest, I would've taken my AF commission. Which is why I say that it is a blessing in disguise. I hadn't given much thought to the Marine Corps before that time. I had grown up in an AF household and been accustomed to the AF life.

If I voluntarily wanted to leave ROTC, however, I probably would've talked to an OSO and gotten information about whatever program PLC/OCC and maybe asked some questions about getting an air slot. I wouldn't apply or do anything with the OSO until I was seperated. It doesn't take much time at all to put in your request for seperation. If you're thinking about leaving ROTC, you should probably decide pretty soon. The option to get out due to force shaping wasn't around a few months ago and who knows how long it will last.

Bottom line is seperate first and then apply IMHO.

xCOLEx

USMC PLC is the way to go.
I dropped afrotc (det 850) just prior to field training. I got razzed a bit from my former classmates, but whatever. Several months later I got a call outta the blue from my local USMC OSO and they gave me the run down about their garaunteed aviation and what-not. I went in a bit skeptical, but combed through the contracts and everything checked out. Anyhow, after passing the astb (equivalent to the afoqt) and turning over a decent PFT (268) attempt I was awarded a slot by the November selection board. Currently I'm taking an OCS (field training equivalent) prep course (in preparation) for Quantico this summer.
It's totally up to you, but let's face it-Airforce just doesn't have the slots available. The only logical conclusion I can come to concerning how liberal the Marines are with pilot slots is the difficulty of training required to obtain officership. Taking a chance on Platoon Leaders Class has been among the best decisions I've made.

jcivic1082

In my case, being so close to graduation and wanting to go to OCC asap, i chose to start the Marine application while I was still in ROTC. You can get accepted for an OCC/OCS slot and you are not under any obligation to sign up. I am in the process go getting out of ROTC and applying for an avaition slot with the Marine! I'll let you all know how it turns out!

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I'm somewhat in the same position. However I was in Army ROTC, 2 year scholarship recipient and a graduate of Advanced Camp.

I brought the issue up with my PMS and he was extrememly unhelpful, in fact threatening at the mention of trying to switch over. I'm awaiting a board to see how the situation turns out.

I was fairly successful while in ROTC which is why I believe there was a much bigger fuss made about me wishing to switch over. There were two other cadets, 4 year scholarship recipients who simply stopped showing up and thus broke their contract and there was not nearly the fuss made about them, and they're not even attempting to switch to another service.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
After being medically DQed from AF flying I've decided to look into the Marine Corps. I'm fourth year AFROTC with a scholarship and my OSO told me I'll have to get off of that scholarship before I can compete for a PLC aviation slot. It sounds like there are a few guys here going through similiar situations, so let's keep this thread alive with any updates or road blocks you encounter along the way.

jcivic1082

I just wanted to give you all a heads up and to thank everyone for their help and advice. I just found out the other day that im out of AFROTC and so excited to apply for OCC 194. If anyone wants advice or info on this topic just send a pm and i'll get back to you asap. thanks again.

cwc73

pilot
I was AFROTC. Got asked to leave basiallly for a Fake id charge. Started talking to an OSO's Gunny who i became friends with. Took the ASTB and scored 6,6,6 (hell yea, no pun intended lol). Put in a 274 PFT (I think). I had my pilots license, a personal trainer certification, held a regular job, and 3.68 GPA. I got selected with litttle problem from what I hear.

THE DD785 said the best option for me. I believe this was due to me losing my schlarship prior to my incident. I feel that this is also a blessing in disguise. I have straigthened up, and I want to make the USMC proud. I will do all I can to succeed and show those fagotry AF ROTC people that they messed up in my case. I also go the pilot slot.