• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rumsfeld flew......?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check out a Fighter/Attack varient, STOOF -

usn47do6.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Check out a Fighter/Attack varient, STOOF -

usn47do6.jpg
I love the STOOF ... don't ask me why, it's just a great, if slow, ol' airplane.

Old airplane/old joke:

Question: What's a "STOOF"??

Answer: Two T-28's flying formation on a Dempsey Dumpster ....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
AGM-12B Bullpup-A perhaps?
Correct-O ... Bullpup.

And if that wouldn't do it, they could always "blind" the bad guys with the 70+million candlepower searchlight on the starboard wing ... :)

usn32oe6.jpg

Isn't this a beautiful picture? A S-2A Tracker is about to land aboard the USS Leyte under the watchful eye of the LSO.

Photo: US Navy

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Fat airplanes are the reason children get their first look at aviaiton. They are GORGEOUS!!! Sexy pointy-nosed things and the X-Wings of Star Wars come much later...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... at the end of his three years they offered him (Rumsfeld) and all of his flight school buddies a (jet) transition..... but they had to do a tour in Vietnam. .... he said that almost every one of his buddies who took the offer ended up getting shot down over Vietnam. He had no regrets........:eek:
This just clicked in on my radar screen ... am I missing something here?? Was this information on the documentary???

A tour in Vietnam?? At the "end of his 3 years", i.e. circa 1957??? Who with --- the French???

Oh, wait ... that won't work, either .... plus, the "offer" of a jet transition puts to rest the question of whether or not he flew "jets" on active duty. Mebbe Panthers as a STUD -- I'm not going to check --- but that's it. :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This just clicked in on my radar screen ... am I missing something here?? Was this information on the documentary???

A tour in Vietnam?? At the "end of his 3 years", i.e. circa 1957??? Who with --- the French???

Oh, wait ... that won't work, either .... plus, the "offer" of a jet transition puts to rest the question of whether or not he flew "jets" on active duty. Mebbe Panthers as a STUD -- I'm not going to check --- but that's it. :)

No, I was talking about my buddies dad, not Rumsfeld. Sorry for not making it clear.......

As for the three years of active duty, I think it was pretty standard at that time. A buddy of mine from flight school had a dad who flew P-2's out of Puerto Rico and was only in for 3 years, '61-'64.

An interesting side note to that, at the end of his [buddy's dad] three years they offered him and all of his flight school buddies a transiton to any jet they wanted, but they had to do a tour in Vietnam. He had an offer from Delta and turned it down, he [buddy's dad] said that almost every one of his buddies who took the offer ended up getting shot down over Vietnam. He had no regrets........:eek:

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I've got a retired Stoof buddy (commissioned in '58) who says he believes Rumsfeld was a plowback and flew out of Glenview or Grosse Ille. Also, he may not have even gone to the boat for a deployment. Platform transitions and 3 year stints were totally the norm. I'll post when I get more verifiable info...

As a side note I told him about the current 7-8 year commitments after winging and the old guys were intigued to say the least.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I've got a retired Stoof buddy (commissioned in '58) who says he believes Rumsfeld was a plowback and flew out of Glenview or Grosse Ille. Also, he may not have even gone to the boat for a deployment.....
I think that is correct, also ... can't remember when or where I heard/saw it -- but the plowback thing sticks in my mind re: Rumsfeld.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got a retired Stoof buddy (commissioned in '58) who says he believes Rumsfeld was a plowback and flew out of Glenview or Grosse Ille. Also, he may not have even gone to the boat for a deployment. Platform transitions and 3 year stints were totally the norm. I'll post when I get more verifiable info...

As a side note I told him about the current 7-8 year commitments after winging and the old guys were intigued to say the least.

Ehhh, what is a 'plowback'?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ehhh, what is a 'plowback'?
Oh, sweet Jesus ... have things changed THAT much ?????

PLOWBACK
–noun
1. a reinvestment of earnings or new profits in a business enterprise ......

Or .... in US Naval Aviation parlance -- reinvesting a newly minted Aviator in the process of making new Aviators .... i.e., someone gets his Wings -- he does NOT go to the Fleet, he DOES collect $200, and he (and now "she") becomes an NAVAIRTRACOM Instructor of some kind or another ....

:)

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I just realized how screwed up I am--I just translated SERGRAD into FAIP...

Time to get the hell away from the Chair Force.