• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Run classification at OCS

VImarine

Are you broken down into different groups based on your running ability? For exmaple at Parris Island you had rabbits, mids and turtles. I'm a 21 minute man on a consistent basis however at 32 I would run with the turtles at OCS to avoid injury.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
It depends on your staff. My platoon never did it this way (we always just ran with our normal squads when we did squad runs), but I've heard of others breaking the platoon down into squads by speed.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
If they break you up into rabbits, mids, and turtles then they will tell you what group you are in based on your PFT...more than likely at least.

It all depends on your staff...

GTodd

When I was there the staff said "...Rabits here, turtles here, and jettas here." It was an integrity thing i am sure of that. They were probably looking to see if any rabits tried to slack off and go in with the turtles.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
For us it wasn't so much that the staff knew your PFT times. They would just go on whether you "look" fast to them. I ran a 19:45 and for some reason they thought I was a picture of blistering speed. Squad runs are not a big deal.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
all depends on your staff, some companies split em up, some dont, i had a candidate who ran a sub 16 minute 3 mile in my squad, and i ran it in jsut under 20......also had a 22 minuter in my squad, they jsut split us up by the alphabet

FLY_USMC

pilot
I concur, they split us up by the alphabet at OCS as well, but I'll also say that with a 21:00 mile, which no doubt will get it done, you really would "be" in the turtle group, there are some fast mofo's out there. We did get split up into fast-medium-pathetic at TBS for our Platoon PT though. And finally, I concur that they have a tendency to judge you based on how you look at OCS. Up until week 9, for some reason, our SSgt still thought I was a speed demon based off how I looked. Little did he know, my butt barely breaks 20:00 on a good day, and don't even ask me now.

Crowbar

None
There are two classifications of runners at OCS:

1) Those who fall out of runs
2) Those who don't

Don't be in the first group. The rest will be determined by your staff with little to no regard for your input.

Benson

I have been training for 4 weeks now and i am consistently running 3 miles in between 22:00 and 22:30 every time. I run sprints, 4 mile runs, and 6 mile runs but i can not seem to break 22:00 minutes... if i show up to OCC with this time will i be in the "pathetic/turtle" group ... and do many ppl that show up with this time make it the full 10 weeks?... thanks

additionally, my PFT score is always above a 260 cause i can max the pull-ups and sit-ups.

Carno

Insane
I showed up with a 22 minute run time, and I was towards the end of the pack. There were a lot of guys who were slower than I was, but 22 minutes will definitely put you in the last 1/3 of the pack.

That said, I never fell out of any runs or failed any event. By the intermediate PFT I was running 19 minutes flat and I was about middle of the pack.

KBayDog

Benson said:
I have been training for 4 weeks now...

That's why your times haven't improved dramatically. It takes time; in the meantime, try getting with a local running club or find a faster runner to run with.

Additionally, enter a local 5K race (at least 6-8 weeks away) and train for it using a regimented training program (there are plenty of programs out there).