• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running at OCS and while in Flight School

aburg22

Hello everyone, I dream of being a pilot in the Navy. The only obstacle in my way is one bad knee. I can tough out the 1.5 miles for the initial physical fitness screening, but I'm worried about how often and how long you run in OCS and flight school. I've recently learned that the Navy is allowing people to swap the run for exercise bike or rowing. Do these new substitutions apply when you are in flight school? I'm just really trying to understand the day-to-day physicality of OCS and pilot school. Thank you for any information or insight you can offer!

allegroreyees

Student Naval Aviator
There's a pretty significant amount of running at OCS. On top of running for PT in the morning, you'll be running any time that you're in Nimitz Hall. for the first 3 weeks of training. RDCs or DIs might also make you do wind sprints for RPT sessions, etc. During flight school, you'll really only have to run for the PRT. You'll still have to run in flight school, you're not allowed to do any of the alternative cardio until you get to the fleet.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello everyone, I dream of being a pilot in the Navy. The only obstacle in my way is one bad knee. I can tough out the 1.5 miles for the initial physical fitness screening, but I'm worried about how often and how long you run in OCS and flight school. I've recently learned that the Navy is allowing people to swap the run for exercise bike or rowing. Do these new substitutions apply when you are in flight school? I'm just really trying to understand the day-to-day physicality of OCS and pilot school. Thank you for any information or insight you can offer!

You can only choose alternative cardio once you're in the fleet (i.e. doing your actual Navy job) and even so, may not be granted.

OCS you're going to be running, whether it's the 1.5 mile timed run or 3-ish mile runs as part of physical training. If you can't handle that... I'm sorry but perhaps the military isn't in the cards.

werty0621

Hi @aburg22 ! Did you end up going through OCS? Did you make it through? I only ask because I also have an orthopedic issue that hinders my running. I really like to run (I’ve run a couple of half marathons) but am slow (and I know it - I can run 3 miles around a 10:15 min/mi pace). My 1.5 mile run time is ~14:20 - any words of advice maybe from you or others on the forum would be greatly appreciated! :)
EDIT: I’m in the 25-29 years female range.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi @aburg22 ! Did you end up going through OCS? Did you make it through? I only ask because I also have an orthopedic issue that hinders my running. I really like to run (I’ve run a couple of half marathons) but am slow (and I know it - I can run 3 miles around a 10:15 min/mi pace). My 1.5 mile run time is ~14:20 - any words of advice maybe from you or others on the forum would be greatly appreciated! :)
EDIT: I’m in the 25-29 years female range.

Before responding to someone I would double check that they are still active on the site.