• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian Aircraft Carrier Footage

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Did a search. Found some discussion about the ski-jump carriers but didn't find this particular footage. I thought it was rather interesting. Shows some good footage of ski-jump launches and traps on a Russian Carrier as well as simulator/training footage. Just wish it had subtitles.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Good find. There's something very strange about the way that ski-jup style takeoff looks.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Interesting, they have SU-25s and SU-27KUBs (3+43) on there as well. I had only seen the SU-33 mentioned in the press.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Didn't the Indians buy that carrier? The Indian Navy studs going through Whiting right now are all destined to become their new carrier Mig-29 pilots. They are all pretty decent pilots in primary. Most have been in the 55-65 NSS range.

TopShot

BDCP SNA
Yeah I was pretty shocked when I saw the Su-25 on there too...didn't know they could do carrier operations. Their simulator looks like Lock-On :icon_lol:

robav8r

None
Contributor
I'd be curious to know how their Arresting Wire system works. U.S. carriers have a pretty complex (man-power intensive) system. I suspect that if I were to inspect the below-deck equipment (sheaves, engine room, etc) I might be very afraid !

Ace_Austin

pilot
I'd be curious to know how their Arresting Wire system works. U.S. carriers have a pretty complex (man-power intensive) system. I suspect that if I were to inspect the below-deck equipment (sheaves, engine room, etc) I might be very afraid !

Considering the boat was a Soviet era design... they probly just chained a bunch of gulag inmates to the bulkhead on the hanger deck and said " Here, hold this".

Raptor2216

I saw a bunch of them hanging out in downtown corpus last night. Turns out they are at kingsville but I was surprised to see a bunch of indian students out here. Must be cool to have a chance to come here and train to fly Mig's.

Didn't the Indians buy that carrier? The Indian Navy studs going through Whiting right now are all destined to become their new carrier Mig-29 pilots. They are all pretty decent pilots in primary. Most have been in the 55-65 NSS range.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
I'm curious.....How exactly does the "ski ramp" work, other than changing the angle of the wings for take-off? Also, does the SU have enough propulsion to not need assistance?(Sorry, rookie question)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting, they have SU-25s and SU-27KUBs (3+43) on there as well. I had only seen the SU-33 mentioned in the press.

The Su-25's are used primarily for training, which is why you see mainly two seaters, and have little combat capability.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Crazy. That ski jumps looks like it would force the plane into a stall almost. Thats the first video I have ever seen of a Russian carrier.