• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian Aircraft Carrier Footage

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I've never seen a Flanker launch from a ski jump with any appreciable external stores. Huge penalty in T/O weight. Still, those Saturn engines are impressive.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just training? I thought that's what the 27KUBs are for... side by side seating.

Think of them like TA-4's.

As for the side by side seat Flankers, I don't think they have many of the carrier version so that could be part of the reason for the Su-25's.

Ragnaroll

translation in short: They're just talking about how hard carrier landings are to make. They also said they haven't lost a single pilot from/on that carrier so far, but there are only 25 carrier-qualified pilots in the entirety of Russia. Then they spend the rest of the video talking about the intensity and importance of training.

^
check that out, it has a pretty interesting bounce.

gotta_fly

pilot
I've only spent a couple days around carrier flight ops, but didn't it seem like they were relatively light on personnel on the flight deck? Do we just have higher safety standards, or is it because our ops tempo is higher?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've only spent a couple days around carrier flight ops, but didn't it seem like they were relatively light on personnel on the flight deck? Do we just have higher safety standards, or is it because our ops tempo is higher?

I would guess much fewer aircraft. They don't put that many in the air at one time and they don't the constant cycles we do.