• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

S-3 Sundown

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
99, Today the sun has set on the S-3B.

S3Viking_11.jpg

tdimarco

Pro-Rec SNA
Are helicopters flying all the anti-sub missions from carriers, or are there other fixed-wing aircraft filling the role of the S-3?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bummer. The Hoover actually got more capable and versatile as it aged. It many ways it was more valuable to the fleet in the end. It always comes down to $$$$$$$$$.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Bummer. The Hoover actually got more capable and versatile as it aged. It many ways it was more valuable to the fleet in the end. It always comes down to $$$$$$$$$.

I'm sure some of the VFA bubba's will playfully disagree, But the Tomcat was the exact same way with basically taking on the F/A role in the 90's and with the D models and addition of LANTIRN (Which VS-32 inherited and used well).

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-01-29/story/jacksonville_says_farewell_to_s_3_vikings

Hoovers Forever.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure some of the VFA bubba's will playfully disagree, But the Tomcat was the exact same way with basically taking on the F/A role in the 90's and with the D models and addition of LANTIRN (Which VS-32 inherited and used well).

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-01-29/story/jacksonville_says_farewell_to_s_3_vikings

Hoovers Forever.

Playful disagreement is always fun. But in this case I don't see the disagreement. It is a fact that from S-3A to S-3B and sunset, the Viking took on Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar, a better APU, newer avionics, Harpoon, Maverick, refueling pod, and LANTIRN, just off the top of my head. Who could disagree those changes wouldn't make any aircraft more capable and by extension, better.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Playful disagreement is always fun. But in this case I don't see the disagreement. It is a fact that from S-3A to S-3B and sunset, the Viking took on Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar, a better APU, newer avionics, Harpoon, Maverick, refueling pod, and LANTIRN, just off the top of my head. Who could disagree those changes wouldn't make any aircraft more capable and by extension, better.
CAINS II, EFI's, SLAM-ER, other boxes.....it is sad to see her go. At least NASA still flies her!

Nice farewell pic on the new cover of The Hook...
I got my copy in the mail today Sir!

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
My mail must be slow or something.. No hook here today (but I did get my truck and motorcycle titles)

I'll bury my congrats in this thread, but nice write-up MB... Your reputation will now proceed you through the rest of your career :D... BZ dewd

MasterBates

My reputation precedes me. THAT is my problem..

(When I check in places I get the "So YOU are the MasterBates guy we know so much about")

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Are helicopters flying all the anti-sub missions from carriers, or are there other fixed-wing aircraft filling the role of the S-3?

From my understanding there aren't all that many anti-submarine missions any more. Which is probably one of the many reason they took the "Anti-Submarine" portion out of the AW Rate.

Lawman

None
From my understanding there aren't all that many anti-submarine missions any more. Which is probably one of the many reason they took the "Anti-Submarine" portion out of the AW Rate.

I fear that this may turn into one of those missions we realize that we still need after something blows up ala Minesweeping.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I fear that this may turn into one of those missions we realize that we still need after something blows up ala Minesweeping.

No doubt....I suspect that maybe what it takes for the USN to get really serious about ASW....segue/threadjack...has anyone else heard that there is to be no MAD on P-8 now??