• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

San Antonio this weekend...

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
ROTC kids, (and I guess academy people that are home),

I'll be in San Antonio this weekend at the international airport for a Xcountry. I'd be happy to static display the mighty TH-57 and provide pictures of mom/dad and a background on anyting-you-want in my pipeline.

Please feel free to give my cell a ring. 850-377-5481.

R,
Dan

Ace_Austin

pilot
In reguards to XC flights... I have a small field in my hometown... do sudents pick where they do these flights or is it preset? I'd love to be able to show my mother that all those years of putting up with me paid off one way or another when/if the time comes.. (Noob question I admit.)

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
In reguards to XC flights... I have a small field in my hometown... do sudents pick where they do these flights or is it preset? I'd love to be able to show my mother that all those years of putting up with me paid off one way or another when/if the time comes.. (Noob question I admit.)

I'm not sure how it is past primary, but we could only fly to places with 'contract fuel'. This pretty much means that the government has a contract with the local fbo. The website below tells you what airports have those contracts. Just click on the links in the middle of the screen to get through the first couple of pages.

https://www.airseacard.com/help/help_index.html

Ace_Austin

pilot
Thanks, looks like the place to go would be Bangor Int. They do have a ANG 135 squadron there so I figured they'd have the goverment gas.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure how it is past primary, but we could only fly to places with 'contract fuel'. This pretty much means that the government has a contract with the local fbo. The website below tells you what airports have those contracts. Just click on the links in the middle of the screen to get through the first couple of pages.

https://www.airseacard.com/help/help_index.html

That's pretty much how it is in the fleet as well, and with jets like mine with no APU, you have to make sure they have a huffer and power cart (that works) to get you started. The IFR sup is your friend.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's pretty much how it is in the fleet as well, and with jets like mine with no APU, you have to make sure they have a huffer and power cart (that works) to get you started. The IFR sup is your friend.

Brett

The things you mentioned are far less critical than "food" or "crew car." That's what I look for in a stop. FBO hottie is bonus (and yes, we've all seen the website).

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The things you mentioned are far less critical than "food" or "crew car." That's what I look for in a stop. FBO hottie is bonus (and yes, we've all seen the website).

The power of cheap or free chow is amazing. It has a mysterious allure to pilots. It calls us in like the sirens song, beckoning us ever closer. I personally plan all stops around the availability of food, even if it isn't a mealtime, I can usually make it one. If someone says "hey, I went to a new stop today", the question asked will invariably be "how was the food?".

With that said, has anyone compiled a list of the best stops and the food/cars/deals/whatever associated with them?

For example:
Florala - free legendary burritos and bbq, scary runway
Monroeville - free decent food, Patty (need I say more?)
Chennault - $1 legendary cajun, ice cream and tea in the fridge.

Any others? If this is a repeat topic, feel free to chastise me!

Crowbar

None
Midland, TX has these gi-normous burritos at the food counter inside the FBO. Two of them for about $4 as I recall.

Monroe, LA-Danken Trail (BBQ), $1 with fuel purchase. Though not all of them are in pristine condition, the FBO has several crew cars, you can eat there or get the food to go.

Texarkana-Big Jake's BBQ, $2 or $3 with fuel purchase. Generous with the crew cars.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks, looks like the place to go would be Bangor Int. They do have a ANG 135 squadron there so I figured they'd have the goverment gas.

For my two Tracom CCXs it was where the IP wanted to go. In your case I'd say it depends more on what type of aircraft you fly... There is a limit on how many legs/hrs/ bags of gas you can go per day on a CC (At least there was in Wing 4). Couldn't make it to Maine from Corpus in a T-34 (DC was about the northern limit IIRC) but could in a T-44 (Think Bruinswick).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Midland, TX has these gi-normous burritos at the food counter inside the FBO. Two of them for about $4 as I recall.
Yeah.....you eat them, take off, get about 30 minsutes down the road and have to take a shit.....:eek: