• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SAT scores?

sbpilot

Hey everyone, I am a little concerned because of my low SAT scores last June, and I dont feel like its nearly up to par to get into a UC.

Question for all current NROTC midshipmen: What was your high school SAT score?

I had a sucky 1730, but am taking them again in October, trying for atleast a 2000. I would like to go to UCLA and join the bruin batallion but I also have Berkeley up there. Thanks for the help!

-AJ

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
had a sucky 1730, but am taking them again in October, trying for atleast a 2000
:eek:

UMMMMM...apparently something has happened to the SAT since I took it last...someone pull up the rock here.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone, I am a little concerned because of my low SAT scores last June, and I dont feel like its nearly up to par to get into a UC.

Question for all current NROTC midshipmen: What was your high school SAT score?

I had a sucky 1730, but am taking them again in October, trying for atleast a 2000. I would like to go to UCLA and join the bruin batallion but I also have Berkeley up there. Thanks for the help!

-AJ

wtf did they do to the SAT?? I had a 31 ACT if that helps any.

SlickAg

pilot
It's out of 2400 now. They have to write an essay that gets graded. F that noise.

Keep in mind that your SAT score is one small part of the bigger picture. I had a 1470, I had friends with 1100 who got scholarships. I'd say ~1250 was average. Honestly, I think it is mostly used to screen people: make sure they have the minimums, and then go from there. If you can get the minimums or above, they focus on other aspects of your application.

When I was stashed our CO was telling us about the new trend for boards that he had sat on and they are BIG on leadership, church/scout involvement, and sports. They have also changed the definition of diversity and have extended it to include special or different circumstances, such as "I had to work my way through high school at a Mickey D's" or "I lived on a farm and couldn't play sports b/c I had chores to do every afternoon".

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
They added a third portion of 800 points so it is a total of 2400 points... However Big Navy only looks at the Math And Verbal for NROTC Scholarship students.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
They have also changed the definition of diversity and have extended it to include special or different circumstances, such as "I had to work my way through high school at a Mickey D's" or "I lived on a farm and couldn't play sports b/c I had chores to do every afternoon".

That came off a little high and mighty.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickAg
"I had to work my way through high school at a Mickey D's" or "I lived on a farm and couldn't play sports b/c I had chores to do every afternoon".

What???:sleep_125

SlickAg

pilot

Huh? It's the new definition of diversity being used for the boards. They felt like some kids w/ extraordinary circumstances were not having the chance to show their full potential, due to their diverse backgrounds. Would you want to go up before a board with an application that showed no sports in high school, and that be that? Or would you rather be able to have the board take into account that you were responsible for working on your family's farm, thus indicating your leadership potential. The quotation marks were on those examples b/c those were two specific examples I remember the CO mentioning.

sbpilot

I think my application as a whole was really strong, and I spent a lot of extra time perfecting the essays, but if I get a scholarsihp to say UCLA, a 1730 on the new SAT out of 2400 would probably give me absolutely no shot of getting in.

Is it easy to transfer the NROTC scholarship to another school? Or would it better to do college program at the school I liked, and then apply for a three year. I really want the 4yr scholarship so I can take full advantage of the program, but if I dont get into the UC I applied for and they gave me the scholarship to, that would really suck :confused:

SlickAg

pilot
I think my application as a whole was really strong, and I spent a lot of extra time perfecting the essays, but if I get a scholarsihp to say UCLA, a 1730 on the new SAT out of 2400 would probably give me absolutely no shot of getting in.

Is it easy to transfer the NROTC scholarship to another school? Or would it better to do college program at the school I liked, and then apply for a three year. I really want the 4yr scholarship so I can take full advantage of the program, but if I dont get into the UC I applied for and they gave me the scholarship to, that would really suck :confused:

It would help if you called the NROTC unit and talked to the scholarship officer. You ought to find out if the UC system has a policy of automatically accepting anyone with a ROTC scholarship. If you really don't think you can get in, you ought to apply to some colleges that you think you can get into. If you REALLY need/want that 4 year scholarship, be practical. If you're willing to roll the dice to go to UCLA, then do that. Only you can decide.

Check this website out https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/colleges.cfm if you're thinking about other schools. If you're willing to go to SD, you can apply to SDSU, CSU-SM, and UCSD. You can also appy to UC-Davis and cross-town w/ them. The option's yours.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
It's out of 2400 now. They have to write an essay that gets graded. F that noise.

Keep in mind that your SAT score is one small part of the bigger picture. I had a 1470, I had friends with 1100 who got scholarships. I'd say ~1250 was average. Honestly, I think it is mostly used to screen people: make sure they have the minimums, and then go from there. If you can get the minimums or above, they focus on other aspects of your application.

When I was stashed our CO was telling us about the new trend for boards that he had sat on and they are BIG on leadership, church/scout involvement, and sports. They have also changed the definition of diversity and have extended it to include special or different circumstances, such as "I had to work my way through high school at a Mickey D's" or "I lived on a farm and couldn't play sports b/c I had chores to do every afternoon".

Not to downplay the leadership portions of the scholarship applications...but it seems that the new trend with scholarships is heavy involvement in math, computers, and science related subjects. The Navy is definitely trying to get more engineering majors on scholarships. You can have all that stuff like scouts, community/church involvment and leaderships in sports. Of course that helps, but the marks have to be there. Do well academically!

Side note: I did pretty well in high school, but when I applied for the scholarship 5 years ago engineering wasn't such an issue. I'd like to think I got my scholarship because I was a team captain and an Eagle Scout.

Also....gotta be fit. Looks really good when you apply/interview for your scholarship.

If anyone else has any questions about applying for the NROTC scholarship, please PM me. Currently I am working as a scholarship interviewer while I wait for flight school.

Superclub

pilot
sbpilot, I have three friends that were accepted to UCLA with SAT scores similar to yours this year, so your scores are not disqualifying. I have other friends get accepted to UC Santa Barbara and San Diego with significantly lower scores. My advice to you is take your SAT II's (a requirement of at least two for all UC's), and study hard for them. You should take at least math 2 and another of the subject you're most interested in at school, but taking more than two is a smart move. These tests are cheap and only consist of one subject, allowing you to show off in your best areas. As was mentioned before you have to write killer essays. Have them proofread multiple times by parents, english teachers, etc. At UC's the essays are weighed fairly heavily. Also be sure to do good in your senior year of high school, one of my friends was on track to go to UCSD and slacked off the last semester, her grades dropped to low and they pulled her acceptance. Hope this advice helps, good luck. One more note, average SAT score for the new test is in the 1500's for what it's worth.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Or would you rather be able to have the board take into account that you were responsible for working on your family's farm, thus indicating your leadership potential.

While one's experience working on a farm would likely show a great deal of responsibility, I don't see how leadership potential would come into play. :confused:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My SAT's were sooooooooooooooooo high ... back-in-the-day ....... that they could give you a nosebleed. :eek: