• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SAT scores?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I think my application as a whole was really strong, and I spent a lot of extra time perfecting the essays, but if I get a scholarsihp to say UCLA, a 1730 on the new SAT out of 2400 would probably give me absolutely no shot of getting in.

Is it easy to transfer the NROTC scholarship to another school? Or would it better to do college program at the school I liked, and then apply for a three year. I really want the 4yr scholarship so I can take full advantage of the program, but if I dont get into the UC I applied for and they gave me the scholarship to, that would really suck :confused:

This happened to me actually. I got the scholarship to my #1 school, except my #1 school didnt accept me. So I had no choice but to attend my #2 choice, which I had been accepted. The policy at the time (2001) was to write a handwritten letter to CNET requesting your switch and why you want to transfer the scholarship to the other school, or whichever was listed in your preferences. I went back on the nrotc website a month later and it was updated.

Keep your head up and make sure you have a Plan B, C, D, etc. Keep you eye on the prize bro. Much luck!

sbpilot

Alright, I have a general gameplan for what I'm going to do. I did fairly well on the ACT (25 composite), I am taking the SAT again in October, and did alright on the math 2 SAT II (640). I am signing up to take another SAT II physics to improve my chances. The UC application is out so I will begin that soon, and am probably going to try for early admission to UCLA. Unfortunately, I was never a team captain because I had to juggle two sports, and I never did Scouts, but I am trying to use the pilot training as an edge.

Hope to see you all out there one day and thanks 4 all the help!

I just checked the site and all i have left is to send my college transcripts so it looks like im onto the interview process! Finally

iwishiwaseatin

Hmm mhhmm
pilot
This happened to me actually. I got the scholarship to my #1 school, except my #1 school didnt accept me. So I had no choice but to attend my #2 choice, which I had been accepted. The policy at the time (2001) was to write a handwritten letter to CNET requesting your switch and why you want to transfer the scholarship to the other school, or whichever was listed in your preferences. I went back on the nrotc website a month later and it was updated.

I did the same thing also, after rejection I just sent in my new school preferences, and I am happy to say that it all worked out for me

SlickAg

pilot
While one's experience working on a farm would likely show a great deal of responsibility, I don't see how leadership potential would come into play. :confused:

I didn't grow up on a farm, so I can only guess. But I think that a lot of leadership is responsibility; leaders are responsible for the well-being of their troops, their equipment, themselves, etc. I would assume that the teenager working on his family's farm would be responsible for expensive livestock, machinery, feed, etc. It would show dedication, and an ability to work towards a common goal. It would also indicate that the applicant had time management skills necessary to succeed both in college and as an officer. It is also possible that he/she would have been in charge of younger siblings or hired help when it came time for crop harvesting. Plenty of indications for leadership potential.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I didn't grow up on a farm, so I can only guess. But I think that a lot of leadership is responsibility; leaders are responsible for the well-being of their troops, their equipment, themselves, etc. I would assume that the teenager working on his family's farm would be responsible for expensive livestock, machinery, feed, etc. It would show dedication, and an ability to work towards a common goal. It would also indicate that the applicant had time management skills necessary to succeed both in college and as an officer. It is also possible that he/she would have been in charge of younger siblings or hired help when it came time for crop harvesting. Plenty of indications for leadership potential.

If the person was responsible for siblings and or hired help, then yes, and it would be wise to put that in a statement. Being responsible will help one's leadership, however, responsibility and leadership are not interchangeable...they are two different traits.

SlickAg

pilot
If the person was responsible for siblings and or hired help, then yes, and it would be wise to put that in a statement. Being responsible will help one's leadership, however, responsibility and leadership are not interchangeable...they are two different traits.

One of the Marine Corps' Leadership Principles is "Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions". Obviously leadership and responsiblity aren't the same thing, but they can go hand in hand.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
One of the Marine Corps' Leadership Principles is "Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions". Obviously leadership and responsiblity aren't the same thing, but they can go hand in hand.

Bingo! Well put!

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Im proof u dunt need a killer SAT score to get a scholarship

Just a guess, but you prolly would have done better in the Verbal section with better spelling and puncuation skills. Maybe you should look into becoming a Marine Option. :D Kidding, of course. ;)

navy09

None
I'd assume that from the Navy side, they probably put more emphasis on your math and verbal scores than on the new writing portion. A 1340 (700M/640V) on the "old" version didn't get me into UCLA or UCSD two years ago (HS class of '05) and I can only assume it's a little more competitive now. There are, however, always exceptions to the rule. As far as the 4-yr scholarship goes, I think you'll find that it has very little to do with how intelligent someone is, at least that's the case in my unit. Of course, they'll put much more emphasis on demonstrating aptitude/leadership potential (team capt, student gov't, etc). I'd take one more stab at the SAT and write a great essay. You can always go college program once you get in, and even if you get a scholarship it won't matter if you don't get into the school (I'd guess that UCLA is probably a little more competitive than the NROTC scholarship).