• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

scholarship interview

corona

I have my interview coming up in a couple weeks. Does anyone who has done this before have any good advice on what to wear or any other tips? Any help is appreciated :)

UMichfly

pilot
None
I would recommend just wearing khakis and a collared shirt. That's the standard for proper civilian attire. As far as any other tips, I'd just say don't worry about it. In my interview, they just asked some general questions, had me confirm that I am not going to do drugs, then threw a few odd questions at me to see how I'd react (Who is the president you most respect throughout history, etc...). If you are relaxed, the interview should be a non-issue.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Yea...dont worry at all. Be respectful, honest, and passionate. And for me, it went from interview to sea stories in no time. Hahaha. And ask questions if any should arise. Good Luck!!!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Big thing.... BE YOURSELF! I have sat on a couple NROTC interviews (given one as well), it is very easy to pick out the people who are voicing opinions/answers that they think you want to hear. Be honest, they want to get a feel for who YOU are and why YOU think that you would be a good candidate. It should be a very low stress environment.

When I was in highschool and was trying for the scholarship ('97) I went down to the recruiting office and was interviewed by a Senior Chief, LT and a nurse LTjg. Very low key, with easy questions about what I thought it meant to be an officer, to why I wanted to be one.

Good luck!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I had my interview for NROTC way back in 1999... since I applied for the USMC and Navy options, I was interviewed by a USMC Captain and a Navy Lt.

bch has the right idea.. just be yourself and be up front and open about why you want ROTC. Don't make up some over-the-top patriotic bullcrap that some of the guys that went my day did. Be honest.

Also, I don't know if its the same for you, but I had to take a USMC PFT that day, then the Navy PRT a week later. I showed up in a pair of khaki slacks and a button down shirt.

Good luck.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know for the Marine options you have to take the PFT, but I don't think Navy options have to do the PFA any more. At least that's how it was when I applied in 2003.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I think you might be correct on that. I know the PFA for USNA's package is done by your school PE teacher...

My PFA was a special case now that I remember...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah it's called the PAE for USNA (at least it was 2 years ago) and I did it with my gym teacher, but you don't have to do the Navy PFA when you apply for the NROTC scholarship if you're applying Navy option. Just as long as you can pass when you get to your battalion, you're good.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Definitely

corona said:
o, another question, should i call the person who does my interview "LT whatever" or "sir"?

Yeah, know the officer ranks and enlisted rates... I got interviewed by a Senior Chief, and when the whole ordeal was over, I was told later on by the local 1/c PO that the Senior Chief was very impressed that I knew his rate. Knowing some stuff about the Navy won't hurt either, the Senior Chief and I ended up bsing about E-2s... the conversation went like this:

"So what warfare communities are you interested in?"
"Well, mostly Aviation, but Surface Warfare too. I just know I don't want subs."
"So lemme guess, you want to be like Tom Cruise, being called 'Maverick,' with your hair on fire at Mach 2 right?"
"Well, I just want a chance to fly, I mean, I'd really like to serve on a carrier, so platforms like the E-2 appeal to me as well."
"E-2s! No one your age talks about E-2s! That's my old squadron!"

And we ended up talking about E-2s and their squadrons for a while... That worked out pretty perfectly I must say and I ended up getting the scholarship. :tongue2_1

Av8or72Dan

When I had my scholarship interview with the Capt, he asked me basic questions like:

What do you want to do in the Navy?
Why do you want to be in the Navy?

He read over my personal statement before I walked into his office so he knew what I was going to say. I wore dress pants and a collared shirt. Also, look him in the eye what you are talking/listening.

Johnnyo'

Victory is mine
I had my interview today. I was even scheduled to have it; after signing some forms the recruiter just brought in a chief petty officer to interview me. Asked a few simple questions; why do you want to join NROTC?... Made note of what you were wearing and your communication skills. Just be yourself and highlight your best qualities.