• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scholarship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny

I'm sure this has probably already been addressed, but I'm new to the board and appreciate all your help. I have applied for a 4 yr. scholarship but I was wondering how difficult it is to get a 3 yr. if I don't get the 4. I plan on enrolling in the college program if I don't get it. Does anyone know how many 3 yr. scholarships are allocated, or does it just depend on the college? I'm trying to go to UNC (first choice) and it's out of state for me. How competitive is the 3 yr.? I've just heard that I shouldn't expect to get the 4 yr. because the Navy has really cut back on them so I was wondering if the 3 yr. were just as difficult to receive. I even heard there's also a 3 1/2 yr. scholarship. Can someone explain this to me? :confused:

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Manny said:
I'm sure this has probably already been addressed, but I'm new to the board and appreciate all your help. I have applied for a 4 yr. scholarship but I was wondering how difficult it is to get a 3 yr. if I don't get the 4. I plan on enrolling in the college program if I don't get it. Does anyone know how many 3 yr. scholarships are allocated, or does it just depend on the college? I'm trying to go to UNC (first choice) and it's out of state for me. How competitive is the 3 yr.? I've just heard that I shouldn't expect to get the 4 yr. because the Navy has really cut back on them so I was wondering if the 3 yr. were just as difficult to receive. I even heard there's also a 3 1/2 yr. scholarship. Can someone explain this to me? :confused:

Just to give you a little perspective on my class: half of us came to college with a 4-year, the other half picked up scholarships after freshman year (3 year). If you don't pick up the scholarship while in high school, all is not lost. When you become a college programmer, make sure you get good grades and participate heavily in the battalion. Academics are the biggest issue when it comes to picking up the scholarship, but being active helps a lot as well. If you keep your head on straight your freshman year, picking up a scholarship will be likely. Any other questions, shoot me a PM.

Noze

flynhi

Everything I've heard about these scholarships is that you need to be a tech major with great grades to be competitive. I didn't get a scholarship coming out of high school and I'm now a History major. I'm also a strong participant in the battalian and my grades are very good so far. I don't know exactly, but I would say I have a 3.5 or better. I'd hate to think that just because Joe Blow is a tech major he gets the scholarship over me, even though his grades aren't as good. I'm not taking Calc & Physics this year but I've been told I can take them next year. One year of Calc by the end of sophomore year and one year of Calc Based Physics by the end of junior year. Do you have to take Calc & Physics before you're elligible for the scholarhip? Or can you take them once you receive the scholarship? I've heard different things in my unit.

flynhi

Thanks, but I really want to know if you have to take them first before you can get a scholarship, or if you can get the scholarship and then take Calc & Physics. Does anyone know?

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Zoltan04 said:
You may take Calc and physics at any time over the course of the 4 years.

That's not entirely true.. flynhi was right in saying that if you are on scholarship you need to complete calc by the end of sophomore year and physics by the end of your junior year.

Do you need to have them done before you can apply? No, but if you aren't on scholarship now and you want to be competitive you should take calc... i've always heard that having it out of the way or in-progress makes you a stronger candidate.

flynhi

I've already lined up my classes for next semester and they don't include Calc or Physics so I guess I'm screwed. I don't think I could have taken Calc this year. Had some other math requirements to meet first, but I plan on taking it next year. Does that mean there's no chance at getting a 3 year scholarship now?

Legionnare

Not that I know, but unless you are lucky, from a common sense perspective I'd say no.

Advice: Don't expect it, if it comes...EXCELLENT! If it doesnt at least you are prepared.

pjxc415

pilot
The 3-year scholarship is becoming increasingly hard to get. Because the Navy currently has a surplus of officers they're cutting down the scholarships they give to kids who don't come in with them. FYI, last year they had around 100 (just an estimate from what i remember of my COs brief) that they couldn't find jobs for. They were considering offering the full scholarship graduates not to get commissioned but I don't believe it came to that. 2 people from my units consortium were affected by this, one from MIT and one from Harvard, but I believe in the end it turned out alright. Anyways, back to the point, according to my CO the national boards that meet for the 3-year are only awarding the scholarships to a limited number of the highest qualified individuals that are college programmers. This has affected many qualified 3/c in my unit who are in my opinion much more deserving of the scholarship than seniors coming out of high school. Keep in mind, the CO from each NROTC unit gets to give out one scholarship per semester based on grades and leadership (its called the leadership scholarship). So to answer your question the 3 year scholarship has become even harder for individuals to win, even for kids at my consortium which includes BU, BC, Northeastern, Harvard, Tufts, and MIT. Hope this post helps you with your decisions, and in no way did I mean to discourage everyone, if you're highly qualified you definitely have a very good shot. Good luck.

PJ~ MIDN 2/c Marine option Boston U.

flynhi

pjxc415 said:
The 3-year scholarship is becoming increasingly hard to get. Because the Navy currently has a surplus of officers they're cutting down the scholarships they give to kids who don't come in with them. FYI, last year they had around 100 (just an estimate from what i remember of my COs brief) that they couldn't find jobs for. They were considering offering the full scholarship graduates not to get commissioned but I don't believe it came to that. 2 people from my units consortium were affected by this, one from MIT and one from Harvard, but I believe in the end it turned out alright. Anyways, back to the point, according to my CO the national boards that meet for the 3-year are only awarding the scholarships to a limited number of the highest qualified individuals that are college programmers. This has affected many qualified 3/c in my unit who are in my opinion much more deserving of the scholarship than seniors coming out of high school. Keep in mind, the CO from each NROTC unit gets to give out one scholarship per semester based on grades and leadership (its called the leadership scholarship). So to answer your question the 3 year scholarship has become even harder for individuals to win, even for kids at my consortium which includes BU, BC, Northeastern, Harvard, Tufts, and MIT. Hope this post helps you with your decisions, and in no way did I mean to discourage everyone, if you're highly qualified you definitely have a very good shot. Good luck.

Hey, thanks alot! I'll still hold out hope.

flynhi

pjxc415 said:
Keep in mind, the CO from each NROTC unit gets to give out one scholarship per semester based on grades and leadership (its called the leadership scholarship).

Who gets the leadership scholarship? I would think a 2/C has a much better chance than a 4/C or 3/C just because they've had more time with the unit and therefore more leadership experience.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I was one of the guys who picked up the 3 yr. scholarship this last year, as did a few of my classmates who were going into their 3/c year. I don't know all of the specifics for them, but as for me:

Mech. Engr. major
low/mid 3.0 range for my GPA (I can't remember exactly what it was back then)
upper half of my unit as far as class standing
Drill team, Color Guard were my major unit activities and I was a new squad leader

As you can see, I wasn't a superstar in academics or at the unit, but I was reasonably solid in each category. It may be different at units in other areas, but it seems like as long as you get a competitive GPA (it was a 3.0 for technical majors), and you're doing well at the unit, it isn't too difficult to get the scholarship. So, just keep working hard and things should work out for you. BTW, a 3.5 is a pretty solid GPA in any major from my experience, so unless you're a screw up at the unit, I would think you're already pretty much set!

flynhi

Found out I have a 3.6, but I'm not a tech major. I have participated and volunteered heavily in the unit and I'm on the Drill Team. Still worried about not taking Calc this year though. I'm sure that's gonna hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.