• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seaman to Admiral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmony Boy

Greetings all,
(Precursory "bowing-down")
I have been a lurking member of this forum for about the past six months and gleaned a fortune of knowledge from it. Kudos to webmaster and Steve Wilkins for creating this invaluable resource, and many thanks to all the contributing members. I figure it's time to offer something back (with a little bit o' self-interest involved[:D]).

About myself: enlisted E-5 musician (I can hear you laughing), 3+ years active duty, age 27. I applied for the Seaman to Admiral 21 Program (STA-21) for FY03 (specifically for Aviator). ASTB stats:

OAR: 56
PFAR: 9
AQR: 8
FOFAR: 7

The board for STA-21 convened this past Monday and I should know the results in just over two weeks (two of the longest weeks of my life!). I wanted to post my info so that a) anyone who is interested in STA-21 and has questions-I've got a lot of answers (and good contacts); b) if there is anyone out there that was either accepted from last year's board or who is waiting anxiously like me for this year's board we could share info and hopefully I could get a better idea of how my chances are. If there is anybody in the former category, please, let me know...I want to pick your brain as far as the process goes right after selection.

To all those who are waiting on OCS selection board decisions, I share your anxiety.
icon_smile_question.gif

MU2 F. James Raasch, USN

Ray

What are you planning to major in? Music might not be a good choice. But a tech degree isn't really needed anyway. My astb scores were like yours and I have a EE degree. Now I'm in the jet pipeline. I had no prior flight time either. Its all about your monkey skills and how well you can memorize. I suggest practicing the memorization and then play lots and lots of video games. Hope you make it.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

Rainman

pilot
quote:
What are you planning to major in? Music might not be a good choice. But a tech degree isn't really needed anyway. My astb scores were like yours and I have a EE degree. Now I'm in the jet pipeline. I had no prior flight time either. Its all about your monkey skills and how well you can memorize. I suggest practicing the memorization and then play lots and lots of video games. Hope you make it.

Ray--kingsville || meridian (hopefully as a EE you remember your logic classes ). .what's with all the rumors about J1/J2 shutting down b/c of aircraft probs??? what's going on? Are folks still tricklin in? It seems those selecting are waiting a long time. .

Ray

Most of us are waiting for two reasons. First is they have too many jet pilots right now. Most that were getting out right after sep 11 stayed in. And the other reason is they cut navy kingsville wingings by 20 for fiscal 03. So I can't start until I can finish in 04. Meridian is faster now because they were below quota for a while, but they are clogged now too. Only one person from all primary squadrons can select jets right now (navy at least) The planes are still flying here so there really isn't a problem with that. The pipleline should pick up again around march I'd suppose. This happens all the time. While I was in primary, they were asking people to go jets that didn't want to. Now you have to be god. Its all timing.

ghost_ttu

If you could clog it up a little so the flood gates will open for for the guys in 04 primary that would be great. Thanks..

kaiangel

I am confused about the ASTB scores. I thought that the OAR was like a composite type score, like an overall aptitude. I am confused because Harmony Boy has much higher individual scores, yet my OAR is higher. I just don't see how that can be possible. My scores are:
OAR 57
AQR 6
PFAR 8
PBI 5
FOFAR 4
If anyone can explain this scoring I would greatly appreciate that.

JayManC

kaiangel,
the OAR is a composite score, of your math/verbal and youre mechanical comprehension, and then it is weighted against the group whom you took the test with. the rest are all stanine (standard nine)converted scores essentially meaning where you placed percentage-wise against other applicants that have taken the test.

<insert something witty here:>

Harmony Boy

Ray - Technically, once you're accepted to the STA-21 program, you can get a degree in anything you want...they highly recommend, of course, that you pursue a technical degree of some sort. I'm pretty close to completing my Bachelor's in Music so my plan is to kind of finish that on the side while I would focus on an aeronautical engineering degree primarily. I figure that will help me in the aviator career path and is something I've always wanted to study. My monkey skills are good and having a photographic memory doesn't hurt for memorization. I think my strongest attribute, though, is my determination not only to make it as a Naval Officer, but to be a damn good one.

MU2 F. James Raasch, USN

Fighter0210

Hey, I'm an E-5 wih 3 1/2 in and have 2 meritorious promotions. I want to start a package to Seamen to Admiral. I'm currently deployed in Saudi Arabia as an Ordnancmen. Where do I start? What should I be doing to set myself up?

shooter13

Take an ACT/SAT right away. Your scores need to be less than 3 years old. Take the OAR soon so you can take it agin if you need better scores. Get your family to help you since you are overseas. You need copies of all your transcripts, high school and college. Review the information on the web site:
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil
The new instruction will be out soon. In the meantime, put together an application based on last years instruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.