• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen Tom Harkin Naval Air background?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
With his recent comments about Sen McCain I see scarce/conflicting info on his own Naval Air background. Saw where he claimed F-4 and F-8 time in SEA then backed off and claimed he did PMCF's over VN then retracted those to claim he did ferry and PMCF work out of Japan then further folks claiming he was a "cargo pilot" (C-1, R4D??)

Any of our more gentrified members recall him or anyone else found where he actually served. If he was doing NADEP type work was that a VC squadron?

Wanted to stay away from his comments and more get the history question answered.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Harkin

He graduated from there in 1962 and served in the United States Navy from 1962–1967. Harkin was stationed at Naval Air Facility Atsugi in Japan, where he ferried damaged aircraft to and from the airbase. He was also stationed for a time at Guantanamo Bay, where he flew missions in support of U-2 planes reconnoitering Cuba. He received his Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from The Catholic University of America's Columbus School of Law in 1972.

Renegade One

None
There was a rework facility at NAF Atsugi at the time for damaged/worn but otherwise "ferriable" aircraft from SEA. Japanese contractor by the name of NIPPI (which is still very much alive), and the NARF det (Navy) at Atsugi. Believe the NARF det has since morphed in to NAPRA (Naval Air Pacific Rework (or Repair...) Activity).

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The Navy used to have "VRF" or ferry squadrons that literally ferried aircraft to & from O&R depots and other similar repair/maintenance facilities. The squadrons, I don't believe (they had no use for NFO's - only for pilots) had any aircraft of their own. If Harkin was in a VRF squadron, that would explain why he was flying different a/c types but not in any specific tacair community.

S.O.B.

pilot
The Navy used to have "VRF" or ferry squadrons that literally ferried aircraft to & from O&R depots and other similar repair/mainteneance facilities. The squadrons, I don't believe (they had no use for NFO's - only for pilots) had any aircraft of their own. If Harkin was in a VRF squadron, that would explain why he was flying different a/c types but not in any specific tacair community.

I know an older NFO who was the CO of one of these ferry squadrons I think in the early 70s.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
S.O.B.: I'm sure you're correct. Being 26yrs out of the cockpit, about every time I make a statement that I think should be correct (e.g., VRF squadrons have no need for NFO's) somebody comes along & proves me wrong. In the 60's, a/c like the F-4 & A-6 could still legally be flown with only a pilot on non-tactical missions (e.g., X-country's, etc.).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the 60's, a/c like the F-4 & A-6 could still legally be flown with only a pilot on non-tactical missions (e.g., X-country's, etc.).
Random factoid: 129 nowadays sends Cat I pilots up with instructor pilots until the "safe for ECMO" checkride. Given the vagaries of who Ops throws in the backseat for circuit breaker watch, it's not unheard of to have three, yes, count 'em, THREE pilots in one jet. A great punchline I'm sure, if you can find a joke to go with it . . . :icon_tong

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
..... Saw where he claimed F-4 and F-8 time in SEA then backed off and claimed he did PMCF's over VN then retracted those to claim he did ferry and PMCF work out of Japan then further folks claiming he was a "cargo pilot" (C-1, R4D??) ......
Sounds like a "Drewski" story.

Flugelman

Contributor
There was a rework facility at NAF Atsugi at the time for damaged/worn but otherwise "ferriable" aircraft from SEA. Japanese contractor by the name of NIPPI (which is still very much alive), and the NARF det (Navy) at Atsugi. Believe the NARF det has since morphed in to NAPRA (Naval Air Pacific Rework (or Repair...) Activity).

NAS Atsugi AIMD also did a lot of work on aircraft out of SEA. I was stationed there in '66-'67 after VR-7 Det A decomm'ed up at Tachikawa AFB. I didn't know of Harkin but then I was only a lowly enlisted kid.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From INSTAPUNDIT.COM, August 16, 2004 archives .... it provides sources, quotes, and links re: the Iowa senator's Navy/Vietnam service discussed during the "glory" days of Swift boat fever, 2004 election cycle 'kine ... :)

TOM HARKIN, Naval Aviator

Republican or Democrat ... it is what it is ...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The folks over at POWNetwork seem to have the process for getting the publicly accessible records of veterans, they almost always have the quals, schooling, units and decorations on the documents releasable to the public. That is, if you have the time and want to do it.

B

Blutonski816

Random factoid: 129 nowadays sends Cat I pilots up with instructor pilots until the "safe for ECMO" checkride. Given the vagaries of who Ops throws in the backseat for circuit breaker watch, it's not unheard of to have three, yes, count 'em, THREE pilots in one jet. A great punchline I'm sure, if you can find a joke to go with it . . . :icon_tong

"How many IPs does it take to make a RAG stud safe for ECMO??"

*shrug*

I tried...