• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen Tom Harkin Naval Air background?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Random factoid: 129 nowadays sends Cat I pilots up with instructor pilots until the "safe for ECMO" checkride. Given the vagaries of who Ops throws in the backseat for circuit breaker watch, it's not unheard of to have three, yes, count 'em, THREE pilots in one jet. A great punchline I'm sure, if you can find a joke to go with it . . . :icon_tong
Do they do rock, paper, scissors to see who gets to smack him with a checklist???

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not familiar with that one
Came here awhile back as a "Captain" claiming to be a former ferry pilot turned retired reservist and FedEx type. With a personal website listing combat medals out the wazoo, and hours in damn near everything in the then-current (60s-70s) inventory.

Said website had pictures of this individual as an LT with the obligatory pizza stain, wings, and nothing else. But somehow after one active duty tour and reserves, said ribbon rack exploded, including a Legion of Merit strangely buried halfway down, and certainly was awfully hefty for the career track described according to those Mods who served at the same time. Said individual made cricket noises when asked by Mods where he earned those combat decorations and how. Later claimed illness for the non-response when in fact he had been lurking regularly during the "sick" period.

You do the math.

1 more pilot

pilot
Senator Harkin is a piece of sh*t. And I can say that because i'm from iowa. End rant.

I can confirm that. I went to high school with his daughter in Northern VA. It just so happened we were at the DMV on the same day getting our driver's license. Just like everyone else in the world, they didn't have the correct paper work the first time through the line. He decided it was best if he make a huge scene by yelling at the DMV employee and asking her if she knew who he was. His daughter began to cry from embarrassment.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
I can confirm that. I went to high school with his daughter in Northern VA. It just so happened we were at the DMV on the same day getting our driver's license. Just like everyone else in the world, they didn't have the correct paper work the first time through the line. He decided it was best if he make a huge scene by yelling at the DMV employee and asking her if she knew who he was. His daughter began to cry from embarrassment.

And you were there to swoop in and comfort her, right? Well unless she looks like her dad, that is...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reminder to all . . . we are discussing a sitting US Senator with all the UCMJ implications that may or may not have for various posters.

BigRed389

None
Reminder to all . . . we are discussing a sitting US Senator with all the UCMJ implications that may or may not have for various posters.

Actually, and this is what they teach at legal O course nowadays...if you read Article 88, you will note that it specifically says:

“Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

So you can trashtalk individual Senators/Congressmen, but can't disparage Congress as a whole...and you can use "contemptuous words" against Governors as long as you're not stationed in their state.

Of course you can always get hit with Article 134...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, and this is what they teach at legal O course nowadays...if you read Article 88, you will note that it specifically says:

“Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

So you can trashtalk individual Senators/Congressmen, but can't disparage Congress as a whole...and you can use "contemptuous words" against Governors as long as you're not stationed in their state.

Ummmm, yeah.......still not a good idea and it should not be tolerated.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor

Yeah, but is that Congress as a whole or the individuals that make up Congress? Unless there is case law that says either way, it sure would suck to be the first person taken to court martial in order to set a precedent.

In any case, it won't be tolerated on this site.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Of course, you could counter-sue the Navy with an equally justified charge, to wit, violation of Article 125.

Yeah, but is that Congress as a whole or the individuals that make up Congress? Unless there is case law that says either way, it sure would suck to be the first person taken to court martial in order to set a precedent.

In any case, it won't be tolerated on this site.
I think you're too late in your bid to secure yourself the coveted AG spot.:D:D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I was wrong to impugn the good Senator from Iowa the other night. However, I think it's unconscionable for anybody, elected official or not, to embellish or fabricate their service record for the purpose of self aggrandizement ala Skeeterman, Brian Dennehy, or Capt. Drew. AND I think that if the allegations against the Senator are substantiated, he should be taken to task for that.