• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Academies Start Point

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's been a hot minute since I did this, so I'm trying to quickly educate myself in an effort to help someone...

What initiates the accession process when applying to a service academy? Is it first reaching out to the admissions office? I couldn't remember what drives the DoDMERB process to start, and since I applied to both ROTC and USNA, the two processes got mixed together for me.

Also, is starting the interview process with a congressional critter initiated separately by the applicant, or does contacting the admissions office also start that process? It's been too long for me to remember.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Can't speak the medical side but yes, absolutely contact the Congressmembers and VP all separately. One does not connote applying for all.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
It's been a hot minute since I did this, so I'm trying to quickly educate myself in an effort to help someone...

What initiates the accession process when applying to a service academy? Is it first reaching out to the admissions office? I couldn't remember what drives the DoDMERB process to start, and since I applied to both ROTC and USNA, the two processes got mixed together for me.

Also, is starting the interview process with a congressional critter initiated separately by the applicant, or does contacting the admissions office also start that process? It's been too long for me to remember.
Do you have a Blue & Gold officer/recruiter (I forget what they call them exactly) nearby? They should be able to help out.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

First step is the RFI section at USNA Admissions

USNA will send the contact info for nomination routes the applicant is qualified for (Congressional, VP, Pres, etc). Can't hurt to look up and contact their local BGO. BGO Area Coordinators

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Ask your recruiter…

All jokingly aside the USNA admissions website is a good start. Contacting a USNA Blue and Gold officer as well as your local congressman / senator service academy admissions rep is another solid start as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks all. This is actually for USAFA, but my understanding the fundamentals of the process is the same for each academy. I have a feeling there might be a hiccup in the DODMERB process, and my initial advice was to start with admissions, so sounds like that was good advice. I'll pass along it's best to contact the congressional offices separately.

johnboyA6E

None
I'm a BGO and Area Coordinator for USNA, all info is on the academy admissions site, but he basic steps are:

1. submit the preliminary application - for USNA, it's available online in January. all the info, including standardized test scores is self reported
2. beginning in Mid May, become an Official Candidate - this is based on review of the prelim app, the bar is fairly low to become an official candidate, but some students I've seen get ruled out at this phase.
3. complete all the steps in the Application Process - this includes Medical (DodMERB), Physical (CFA), BGO Interview, app/essay, Letters of Rec, etc
3. at the same time, separate from Academy process, you apply for all Nomination sources - always 1 congressman, 2 senators, and sometimes various service related nominations. USNA does NOT send any info to congressional offices, that is for the candidate to do

At least for USNA, the DodMERB process is initiated by Admissions, and only after about half of the application steps are complete. The actual criteria to trigger DoDMERB has changed a few times in the past few years, recently a candidate needed to be considered "competitive" in order to get a DoDMERB appointment. That info isn't really public, and it's subject to changes year over year. I've seen lots of candidates complete with everything and still not get a DoDMERB process started.

If there is a concern about some lingering issue that you worry could trigger a DQ, you can get ahead of it by reviewing the DoDMERB standards, where all the specific requirements are detailed. Be VERY careful filling out the forms, and don't provide more info that is being requested. I've seen candidates create unnecessary problems and delays by being TOO transparent. ie. unless you've been officially diagnosed with something DO NOT report it. you can find the standards here: https://www.med.navy.mil/Portals/62...e_Accessions.pdf?ver=MC54GRDgJtlfTJ0ljSmlBQ==

I helped my son with the waiver process for 3 separate issues, and it's definitely a minefield. I was lucky to have an old bud who was at the time an 0-6 Flight Doc who advised on the process.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks all. This is actually for USAFA, but my understanding the fundamentals of the process is the same for each academy. I have a feeling there might be a hiccup in the DODMERB process, and my initial advice was to start with admissions, so sounds like that was good advice. I'll pass along it's best to contact the congressional offices separately.

I can imagine the process is 90-95% the same and the Air Force has their own blue and gold counselor.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Coast guard process is completely different. King's point is identical to USNA