• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Selection Changes

Python

pilot
Contributor
Due to the changing mission of the Navy, service selection procedures are changing in NROTC.

When selecting designators, you used to choose your top 4 choices. Now you list your top 5 URL choices and 1 RL choice.

Source: My CO who received this information from Pensacola.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
That is some interesting news. i dont think I've met anybody that got lower than their 2nd choice...unless they weren't medically qualified or had the appropriate credentials.

That sucks for whoever gets their 5th choice.....

gotta_fly

pilot
Yeah, that's how it was last year too. They provide a longer list of URL sub-specialties, like SWO-Oceanographer, which makes it possible to leave the dreaded n-word off the list and avoid submarine impressment.

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
Yup we got the gouge too. Since I'm stashed here until OCT, I here all the rumors.

I little advice:

If you're a senior and have not taken the ASTB yet, do it NOW! The sooner you get it done the better. Then bug the hell out of whoever schedules flight physicals until you get it scheduled.

It is probably going to get extremely competitive this year. For example, the lowest ASTB score for this year's senior class I've seen from my school is a 7/8/7 53. The Nuke officer is already pulling in all of the 2009 class for "pep talks" about the world of Nuke.

There are also mumblings of another "special" Nuke trip this fall for those on the fence.

Good luck to all. I hope you don't have to go through what I did this year.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
It is probably going to get extremely competitive this year. For example, the lowest ASTB score for this year's senior class I've seen from my school is a 7/8/7 53. The Nuke officer is already pulling in all of the 2009 class for "pep talks" about the world of Nuke.

And you know this how? If your CO/NROTC Staff put that info out, I understand. Don't go freaking anyone out unless you have a solid source, other middies don't count.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Don't go freaking anyone out unless you have a solid source

What?! And deny them the opportunity to train for the rumor mill that is flight school?

"Well I heard everyone with below an 80 is getting redes'd to SWO after primary now, so you better do well on your flights!"

:::gasp:::

ENSIGN POWERS...ENGAGE! and the rumor mill grinds away.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
What?! And deny them the opportunity to train for the rumor mill that is flight school?

"Well I heard everyone with below an 80 is getting redes'd to SWO after primary now, so you better do well on your flights!"

:::gasp:::

ENSIGN POWERS...ENGAGE! and the rumor mill grinds away.

Thats what I was trying to avoid!

....and everyone knows the flight school rumors are legit:D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, I'm not sure what it would matter at this point for any selecting seniors. Your fate is pretty much sealed at this point in terms of your package, so whether they ask for 3 choices or 5 (it was 3 last year, plus one RL BTW) you are still getting what you would have. Good luck to the selectors, it will work out okay.

Python

pilot
Contributor
For those who don't know, the top 5 URL must have all of the following 3:

1390 or 1370
1170 (subs) or 1160N (SWO nuke) for females
1160 (SWO)