• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service time for priors before accepted to NOCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayman

Hi! I'm just new in this forum. Very infomative and everyone is helping everyone. I'm impressed! Got a question here: if I go enlisted, how much time do I have to serve the Navy before I can apply for a slot as a SNA? I hope someone can help me find answers to my questions. Thanks in advance.

rayman

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Rayman, I see that you put down Phillipines as where you are from, are you currently a US Citizen? To be commissioned as an officer in the US Navy you need to be a US Citizen, but you don't have that requirement to become enlisted in the US Navy.

Also right now, because the military is on a "war footing", the President waived all naturalization requirements (ie time limits) for enlisted members of the military. The only requirement is setting foot in the US, and you are a military member of the armed forces of the US, and you can put in your package to become a US Citizen, before you had to wait like 3 years or so.

I had to sit through an immigration and naturalization brief that covered this last week. Anyways, maybe I am way off mark here, just interpreting with you putting down from Phillipines, but putting the info out anyways.

As for your original question. I agree with Pat, that if you can go Officer directly, that is the best route, especially since you already have a degree in hand. Going through the enlisted ranks, while I did it along with others on the forum here, it is not necessarily and easy or quick route. You still have to go through your basic training, your "A" and possibly "C" schools, and then on to your first command, which will probably be sea going. Since you already have your degree, I would shoot straight for applying to the OCS program. There are quite a few ppl on the board that went that route and would be a wealth of info on the time limits and what is required to get into that.

Here is the actual instruction guidelining applying to OCS as enlisted:

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/chapter_7_opnav_1420-1.pdf

Hope the information helps.

Rayman

Thanks guys for finding time answering. The reason behind why I'm looking at enlisting is to avail the age waiver stated in the guidelines (chap 7) that can be granted to those who'll go that route. I'm still working on my immigrant thing ang I'm really running against time here because I just turned 29 this June. So it's a little bit critical now. Is there any other way I can apply(OCS w/ SNA slot) , besides enlisting?

Edited by - Rayman on 09/06/2002 10:21:09

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Remember that the waiver is month for month not to exceed 48 months. I'm afraid that you won't have enough time for SNA, but SNFO might be an option. The Marines focus less on age and the Air Force is 31 Years.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Rayman

quote:
Remember that the waiver is month for month not to exceed 48 months. I'm afraid that you won't have enough time for SNA, but SNFO might be an option. The Marines focus less on age and the Air Force is 31 Years.

Vic,

Does that mean that, if an enlisted man has already served say 12 months, it's not possible for him to apply? How long must be the service time to avail of the service time waiver? Thanks for the information anyways.

rayman

Status
Not open for further replies.