• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SHE BREACHES !!! (Merged thread ... the other title was too boring ...)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Supreme Court has ruled that the Navy does not have to curtail sonar use due to whales. It was a 5-4 decision but two of the dissenter's did largely side with the majority. The policy might not stand unchanged long though, the new administration definitely appears to be much more 'enviroment-friendly'. I doubt there would be a wholesale ban or severe restrictions, it is too important an issue to the Navy leadership (and DoD leadership too) and they will puch back hard on too much, but possibly some new rules and restricitons.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/SCOTUS/story?id=6237114&page=1

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
She breaches !!!

"'There she breaches! there she breaches!' was the cry, as in his immeasurable bravadoes the White Whale tossed himself salmon-like to Heaven."

"'Aye, breach your last to the sun, Moby Dick!' cried Ahab, 'thy hour and thy harpoon are at hand!

tousle.gif
Sonar's back in business, it would appear ... screw the Whale?? Naaaaaaaaaa ... screw the 9th Circuit Court ... :)

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Court rules for Navy in dispute over sonar, whales[/FONT]

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...the new administration definitely appears to be much more 'environment-friendly'.

aside from the fact that "the Navy had been operating off the California coast for 40 years 'without a single documented sonar-related injury to any marine mammal.'"

freaking environmental douchebags...

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
As a side note, yesterday the "Science" channel featured a docudrama on whales and at one point the whale gets "blasted" by a sinister high-frequency bow mounted sonar and then an active-VLF array is portrayed as "mind-scrambling" to the whale driving it to the surface where it narrowly avoids being impaled by an evil oil tanker.

My daughter looked at me like I was complicit in murder. I didn't mention nuclear depth bombs.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I doubt there is another Navy on the planet, sans the USN, that goes to such great pains with mammal mitigation with respect to EER buoys and active pinging. You can be damn sure the PLAN dosen't.

BigRed389

None
aside from the fact that "the Navy had been operating off the California coast for 40 years 'without a single documented sonar-related injury to any marine mammal.'"

freaking environmental douchebags...

I remember not too long ago we were hammering away with a bow mounted sonar, and we got a report of a visual sighting of dolphins by the lookout.

I couldn't help but wonder, if sonar was that harmful to dolphins, why the hell they weren't running like hell away from us instead of coming alongside and jumping in and out like always. The fathometer is also pretty damn loud (can't be used when divers are in the water) and always on, but the marine mammals don't seem to mind that either.

We HAVE turned a whale into chopped up whale steaks once though...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Fvck the whales. And the manatees too.

It's posts like these that cause the whales and manatees to join the insurgency. And when I hear about ALL that intel gathered by subs and ships and the like I always think to myself "Sure we got so much intel, but how many Marine mammal insurgents did we just create?"

You culturally insensitive fools.

Smilies...of course.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
It's posts like these that cause the whales and manatees to join the insurgency. And when I hear about ALL that intel gathered by subs and ships and the like I always think to myself "Sure we got so much intel, but how many Marine mammal insurgents did we just create?"

You culturally insensitive fools.

Smilies...of course.

Well, they managed to torpedo a certain LT.....

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I remember not too long ago we were hammering away with a bow mounted sonar, and we got a report of a visual sighting of dolphins by the lookout.

I couldn't help but wonder, if sonar was that harmful to dolphins, why the hell they weren't running like hell away from us instead of coming alongside and jumping in and out like always. The fathometer is also pretty damn loud (can't be used when divers are in the water) and always on, but the marine mammals don't seem to mind that either.

It's like a rock concert... only with dolphins... :D

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
"'There she breaches! there she breaches!' was the cry, as in his immeasurable bravadoes the White Whale tossed himself salmon-like to Heaven."

"'Aye, breach your last to the sun, Moby Dick!' cried Ahab, 'thy hour and thy harpoon are at hand!

tousle.gif
Sonar's back in business, it would appear ... screw the Whale?? Naaaaaaaaaa ... screw the 9th Circuit Court ... :)

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Court rules for Navy in dispute over sonar, whales[/FONT]
(It seems a bit ironic that the 20+ whales detailed by Melville in Moby Dick are now mostly extinct.)

Actually, scientists seems to think that the Navy sonar is less harmful than the over-fishing. Seven orcas have disappeared from Puget Sound recently--probably because of lack of food.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Seven orcas have disappeared from Puget Sound recently--probably because of lack of food.
And just to illustrate how much "concerned" people REALLY care about the issue of Whales in general ... about a two years ago a magnificent sight passed by my westerly facing deck -- a pod of @ 30+ Orcas -- from the very smallest to the largest, all heading south at a leisurely pace no more than 200 yards offshore -- a TRULY rare sight in Puget Sound.

I immediately called TWO of the Seattle TV stations who maintain a helicopter and suggested they might want to "launch 'em" to film the very, very rare sight .... but the (paraphrased) response from each was:

"We really can't do that on the weekend as we'd have to pay the pilot overtime ... "

:sleep_125