• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Show us your LES! (BAH/BAQ/VHA discussion)

HueyCobra8151

pilot
And just to mention, if not already done so, I believe that an E-1 with less than 4 months of service makes more than 3500 / month when you throw in the tax advantage, freebies and opportunities.

Some freebies and opportunities are hard to quantify into dollar format.

You should get in touch with the enlisted pay charts and check them out before you are in charge of enlisted sailors. I think as an E-1, I made about $500+/- every pay check.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, that was pretty bad... Did you guys ever figure out if he was a college guy who didn't get picked up or a high school guy? And just to mention, if not already done so, I believe that an E-1 with less than 4 months of service makes more than 3500 / month when you throw in the tax advantage, freebies and opportunities.

That would have to be one hell of an enlistment bonus to meet that much. Even counting free health care, E-uno's don't make anywhere close to 3500 a month. The 08 pay chart has E-1s w/ less than 4 months at 1246, before BAS and BAH. Thats 600 bucks every 2 weeks, before taxes. I'm assuming it's gone up for 09, but not anything spectacular, maybe another 50 bucks a paycheck, pre taxes.

Those freebies? chow hall and living on the ship. Yea...what a deal.

I made more than that as a beach lifeguard when I was 17.

Sailors bust their asses for wayyyyy less than they're worth. Thinking anything less is an insult.

navy09

None
I think Ash meant O-1s

There's no "O-1 w/ less than 4 months" on the pay matrix.

I think ASH's math might be a little off...E-1s don't draw BAH, so they don't have much "tax advantage" ($$$ saved by not paying taxes on allowances). He's also overestimating the 'freebies.' Saying a brand new E-1 makes $3500/mon is nuts.

Still, I think the root of his argument is that any E-1 can hold his head a hell of a lot higher than a lot of guys making way more than him in the civilian world. That's a 'freebie' that you can't put a price on...

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
I was merely try to rub it in RickRoss's face that his 3500 / month was nothing special. I was thinking about an E-1 that is station in San Diego and lives off base (not probable, but possible). I just wanted to make him feel that he is lower than an E-1... In ranking and pay, I'm not saying E-1's are the lowest because we rely heavily on the junior enlisted.

This is all before tax, as I assumed RickRoss's 3500 was.
Base Pay: $1399.50
BAH: $1472.00
BAS: $323.00

That is almost 3500 right there, now throw in uniform allowance, commissary/NEX rights, health care, etc. We really do get a lot of good stuff that is hard to quantify, such as the honor you get when you put on the uniform...

Sorry RickRoss, no matter how much you make you can't buy the right to call yourself a sailor, and not to sound like a damn Mastercard commercial, but that is priceless...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well ASHWIND, I can say with confidence that my O-1 (less than 2 yrs) pay totals out just under that figure, so I would be really surprised if there were an E-1 somewhere making any more (or anywhere close to that). Not saying they *shouldn't*, just that they don't.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Well ASHWIND, I can say with confidence that my O-1 (less than 2 yrs) pay totals out just under that figure, so I would be really surprised if there were an E-1 somewhere making any more (or anywhere close to that). Not saying they *shouldn't*, just that they don't.
He said living off base in San Diego, see for yourself. Comes in right under the $3500 mark with the tax advantage. I don't even know if E-1's are allowed to live off base except if they're married so I'm probably arguing semantics as I normally do, but raise the family size on the calculator and that's even more money in said Seaman Recruit's back pocket for a realistic number.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
He said living off base in San Diego, see for yourself. Comes in right under the $3500 mark with the tax advantage. I don't even know if E-1's are allowed to live off base except if they're married so I'm probably arguing semantics as I normally do, but raise the family size on the calculator and that's even more money in said Seaman Recruit's back pocket for a realistic number.

I guess that was kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, but yes, perhaps there is a small amount of folks somewhere making that kind of $$$ as very junior E's....I wouldn't really use it as an arguing point however.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I wouldn’t ever include BAS, that's the first thing to go away when said E-1 goes to sea. As for BAH and VHA, I really wouldn't count those either, take away the family and go to sea and those too disappear. Just my .02 cents.

phrogpilot73

I wouldn’t ever include BAS, that's the first thing to go away when said E-1 goes to sea. As for BAH and VHA, I really wouldn't count those either, take away the family and go to sea and those too disappear. Just my .02 cents.
Dude, you're dating yourself. VHA went the way of the dinosaur in 1998 (and for what it's worth, when talking about the old system, it was BAQ/VHA. Now it's just BAH).

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Thank you Morgan81, I was saying that it is possible, but not a very common... Or good arguing point... thing that happens. I hope I just got the point across that RickyRoss's 3500 / month isn't anything special, and he was probably inflating that number as well.

Why does VHA and BAQ still show on our LES?

lmnop

As for BAH and VHA, I really wouldn't count those either, take away the family and go to sea and those too disappear.

Being underway or deployed does not cause BAH to go away.

Why does VHA and BAQ still show on our LES?

Correction: I just went back and looked, you're right, they do show it in the pay data section at the bottom. I was thinking of the Entitlements block which shows BAH.