• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Show us your LES! (BAH/BAQ/VHA discussion)

BAH goes away if I get deployed??
Fail..Big Bad Navy isn't going to jack my wife and daughter's roof out from over their heads just because I get sent out...You might want to rethink that one AE606...

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Dude, you're dating yourself. VHA went the way of the dinosaur in 1998 (and for what it's worth, when talking about the old system, it was BAQ/VHA. Now it's just BAH).
I don’t mind if people know I’m experienced! ;) And yes it was BAQ/VHA; I'm just not that familiar with today’s terms.

Being underway or deployed does not cause BAH to go away.

Back in my time when dinosaurs roamed the earth, for a single sailor, BAQ went away when deployed. There was enough barracks space one wasn’t required to live in town. Often times weren’t permitted to till they were an E-5.

lmnop

So does the Navy's.

I thought so too, until I went back and looked at mine in detail. This pic is an AF LES, but it's the same. On the left side, the Pay Data row still shows BAQ Type and VHA Zip Code.
<AF dude's LES deleted. Although a wiki link, I don't want to personally perpetuate his stupidity or the sharing of his checking account number>

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in my time when dinosaurs roamed the earth, for a single sailor, BAQ went away when deployed.

I think you had to be out for x days for it to go away (if you were single), ne c'est pas? Believe it was 90 days. Otherwise, workups and dets would cause it to come and go.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought so too, until I went back and looked at mine in detail. This pic is an AF LES, but it's the same. On the left side, the Pay Data row still shows BAQ Type and VHA Zip Code.
500px-Leave_And_Earnings_Statement.jpg

But the important thing is the number at the top left, and that is BAH.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in my time when dinosaurs roamed the earth, for a single sailor, BAQ went away when deployed. There was enough barracks space one wasn’t required to live in town. Often times weren’t permitted to till they were an E-5.

Nowadays you don't even have to prove that you are renting or have bought out in town to get paid, as long as you are not in government quarters you get BAH. The rule changed about '97-'98, right after I got in. A great deal for guys like my buddy who showed up to Whidbey two months before deploying and crashed on my couch before he left. He pocketed 8 months of BAH and promptly blew it on wine, women and song. Lucky bastard.......

lmnop

But the important thing is the number at the top left, and that is BAH.

I agree, it's the only one I care about. I was just pointing out that the data for BAQ/VHA is indeed still present on the statements despite the switch over to BAH in 1998.

That LES has the bank account number in the lower right.

Yea, looks like it. Not sure what would inspire someone to put their LES up on Wikipedia.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I think you had to be out for x days for it to go away (if you were single), ne c'est pas? Believe it was 90 days. Otherwise, workups and dets would cause it to come and go.
I'm not arguing this point; I just wouldn't count on BAQ/VHA as a single E-1 sailor. When I was in I didn't even know of any single E-1, 2, or E-3's living in town, at least on the Navy's dollar.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
My buddy got it (enlisted Marine) right out of recruit training but he also did the geo bachelor thing. I asked him and he said he wasnt sure if he could get it if he was single.