• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Silly Shoe games

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
They're coming out with some extremely capable ships in the next 5 years. We're talking comparable to our Arleigh Burke's.
Bonus points to you for using "Arleigh Burke" and "ship" in the same context. I really need to start giving aviators more credit. You guys surprise me sometimes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Bonus points to you for using "Arleigh Burke" and "ship" in the same context. I really need to start giving aviators more credit. You guys surprise me sometimes.

Ah, yes. Aviators: it's amazing they can get dressed in the morning. I have three words for you and your brethren, Steve: Wind Hunting Circle.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Ah, yes. Aviators: it's amazing they can get dressed in the morning. I have three words for you and your brethren, Steve: Wind Hunting Circle.
Did you guys ever send a pilot up to the bridge during flight ops?

fudog50

Hi Steve,
Just food for thought about sending a pilot to the bridge during flight ops. Most of our (CVN-72) good underway OOD's are NFO's, our Gator is a pilot. So is the Skipper. Does that count?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
That's an interesting point. Is there a small boy equivalent of a "tower flower" or CATCC Rep? If not, why?

Brett

fudog50

CATTC rep?

I never heard of a "flower tower", guess thats not a term we use on a Carrier. CATTC reps are in CATTC not on the bridge, however most of those guys stand TAO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fudog_50 said:
I never heard of a "flower tower", guess thats not a term we use on a Carrier. CATTC reps are in CATTC not on the bridge, however most of those guys stand TAO.
Apples and oranges as far as what the Airwing guys do. Tower Flower is a term you use on the carrier, just ask around. Obviously, the small boys aren't going to have a "Pri-Fly" or CATCC, so I'm guessing the most logical place for an air det rep to be would be on the bridge. Sure, you've got the det Air Boss, but how effective is he sitting in the pit while the bridge is fvcking things up for the recovery?

Brett

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Red Leader's bio

Steve Wilkins said:

CAPT Lupton (and current JFK XO) was the guest speaker at my winging...important part below:

"He is the recipient of the Commander Naval Surface Forces U.S. Pacific Fleet Shiphandler of the Year Award"

Put that in your SWO crack pipe and smoke it!:D

Sorry for the threadjack. The number of Chinese scare me. 1 million men. That's alot.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Steve:

Yes. In fact, one day I was up in combat (where the actual wind hunting courses were being calculated) and watched one struggling individual try and use a Moboard, which would have been completely the wrong way. I (yes, a pilot) was able to look at the ships speed, and relative wind and see where the true wind was coming from, and could give a course that was pretty damn close, just by eyeing it (a skill I know you've said you possesed, as well). I tried to impart this knowledge, but alas, at least once a week, same same.

Brett327 said:
Apples and oranges as far as what the Airwing guys do. Tower Flower is a term you use on the carrier, just ask around. Obviously, the small boys aren't going to have a "Pri-Fly" or CATCC, so I'm guessing the most logical place for an air det rep to be would be on the bridge. Sure, you've got the det Air Boss, but how effective is he sitting in the pit while the bridge is fvcking things up for the recovery?

Brett

No, but we do have someone who is doing the same basic thing, and that's the LSO. As an LSO, we have all the ships instruments in the shack (except maybe speed, depending on the ship). In fact, our gyros are more accurate than what the bridge has for pitch and roll (as stated in a Note or Caution in our Natops). So part of what we do is double check everything the bridge sends back to us, and if it's good, pass it along to the aircraft. Otherwise, we kick it back to the bridge and tell them to fix it.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fudog_50 said:
Hi Steve,
Just food for thought about sending a pilot to the bridge during flight ops. Most of our (CVN-72) good underway OOD's are NFO's, our Gator is a pilot. So is the Skipper. Does that count?
Yea, did my time on the good 'ol CVN 72. Helped train a lot of the OOD's. All the guys that qualify OOD up there do a pretty decent job, NFO's, Pilots, and SWO's. Of course, standing OOD isn't rocket science either.

You should know though, that I wasn't talking about carrier flight ops. Gatordev (who my post was directed at) isn't a carrier pilot. He's a LAMPS bubba. I was specifically asking him if they sent pilots (in his det) to the bridge during flight ops.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fudog_50 said:
CATTC guys standing TAO?.... NO.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChunksJR said:
CAPT Lupton (and current JFK XO) was the guest speaker at my winging...important part below:

"He is the recipient of the Commander Naval Surface Forces U.S. Pacific Fleet Shiphandler of the Year Award"

Put that in your SWO crack pipe and smoke it!:D
So what's your point?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
@Steve:

Yes. In fact, one day I was up in combat (where the actual wind hunting courses were being calculated) and watched one struggling individual try and use a Moboard, which would have been completely the wrong way. I (yes, a pilot) was able to look at the ships speed, and relative wind and see where the true wind was coming from, and could give a course that was pretty damn close, just by eyeing it (a skill I know you've said you possesed, as well). I tried to impart this knowledge, but alas, at least once a week, same same.
I think you're missing my point. I was just curious if you guys sent pilots up to the bridge during flight ops so that you could see that flight ops isn't necessarily the only thing going on. I am NOT saying this is an excuse for not knowing what course will put winds in the envelope. I always made sure I knew what course to drive to get winds in the envelope no more than every 15 minutes....whether the bird was chocked and chained on the flight deck or in the air. And I made sure my JOOD's did the same.

We always offered to have the pilots come up during flight ops to see if maybe there was something we could do to make their lives easier during flight ops. They never took us up on it. That's why I asked if you guys sent any pilots up to the bridge during flight ops.

I don't know why so many folks don't get relative motion or understand how to figure out what course to drive for winds. But you're example is of someone struggling with a moboard is unfortunately too common...not that you really even need the moboard.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
I think you're missing my point. I was just curious if you guys sent pilots up to the bridge during flight ops so that you could see that flight ops isn't necessarily the only thing going on. I am NOT saying this is an excuse for not knowing what course will put winds in the envelope. I always made sure I knew what course to drive to get winds in the envelope no more than every 15 minutes....whether the bird was chocked and chained on the flight deck or in the air. And I made sure my JOOD's did the same.

We always offered to have the pilots come up during flight ops to see if maybe there was something we could do to make their lives easier during flight ops. They never took us up on it. That's why I asked if you guys sent any pilots up to the bridge during flight ops.

I got your point, just merely taking an easy shot. As for flight ops not being the only game in town, I hear you, and sometimes I know the wind hunting circle is actually an attempt to evade some rogue Group III that doesn't want to answer his radio. But at the same time, it's not like the Group III is moving at warp speed, and the DR of the track is pretty apparent, thanks to radar, so why it's all of a sudden urgent to turn right when the helo is lifting or landing (after a green deck has already been granted) becomes frustrating. But I digress.

Lastly, E->M, E->R, R->M...relative motion. I agree with you, I really don't get why that's hard.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I got your point, just merely taking an easy shot. As for flight ops not being the only game in town, I hear you, and sometimes I know the wind hunting circle is actually an attempt to evade some rogue Group III that doesn't want to answer his radio. But at the same time, it's not like the Group III is moving at warp speed, and the DR of the track is pretty apparent, thanks to radar, so why it's all of a sudden urgent to turn right when the helo is lifting or landing (after a green deck has already been granted) becomes frustrating. But I digress.

Lastly, E->M, E->R, R->M...relative motion. I agree with you, I really don't get why that's hard.
Yea, that rogue GIII...amazing how they sneek up on us, eh? Don't get me started on the "warp speed" comment. Too many XO's and CO's out there that think the world is going to crumble if you get w/in 5000 yards of GIII or other big deck. I don't know why, but apparently, its very, very scary.

Your last sentence mad me laugh. Sometimes, you guys need to figure out you're just being fvcked with.