• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sink/Scrap list

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The DeWert didn't have a #3 engine room. At least not when I cruised on her :D
You mean AMR 3?
Pardon my FFG NATOPS knowledge. See, that is what I got out of that cruise:D. The loud space through the sound-proofed swinging door where the big screen on the mess deck is. Wanna know how much trouble I got in for catching a sea turtle on my fishing line while pierside?:D

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Pardon my FFG NATOPS knowledge. See, that is what I got out of that cruise. The loud space through the sound-proofed swinging door where the big screen on the mess deck is. Wanna know how much trouble I got in for catching a sea turtle on my fishing line while pierside?

One of the more senior lurkers on this board was the former CO of DeWert. A kid landed a Yellowfin on our way to the NAG in '93, and the CO was working out in the starboard helo hangar/gym. He took over the aft lookouts sound powered phones and backed the ship down to recover the tuna. He summoned the IDC to "okay" the fish and had it chopped up and served on the mess decks pronto.
Good times.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Its surprising that they would rather sink some of these ships than recycle them. For nostalgia and economics.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
There was talk around Newport a few months back about making the Forrestal a museum. Maybe that was the Sara or maybe the idea just got canned.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You'd think there'd be a friendly third world nation or two that would like the prestige of a carrier. I bet Colombia would like that big stick to swing in front of Hugo Chavez in Venezuela.
Selling Colombia an aircraft carrier would be a mistake. That would likely start an arms race, which wouldn't do anyone any good.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I suggest you research the USS Coral Sea fiasco.

Are you referring to this?

early 70,000 tons by the time she was struck, Coral Sea was the largest vessel ever scrapped up until that date and may be the last large American aircraft carrier ever to be scrapped (newer environmental laws make it unprofitable for companies to scrap carriers within the United States, and it is illegal to sell capital ships for scrapping abroad). The company attempted to sell the hulk to China for scrapping, but the Navy blocked the sale in court. The scrapping continued off and on for several years until finally completed on 8 September 2000.