• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Skipping NIFE?

Willfly4crayons

I have a Commercial pilot license, Instrument rating, and a little over 300 flight hours. Is there any chance of skipping NIFE when I get down to pensacola?

Also, the wait time to class up us getting pretty long. Is there any restrictions on me renting planes on my own time? Id like to stay proficient. Even when enlisted, there were plenty of hoops to jump through if you wanted to take up anything hazardous in your own time. Maybe just a simple ORM sheet to be filled out? Just curious.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There is a Pro-Advance mechanism in CNATRA - so almost certainly. NASC is probably your first step in finding the appropriate instruction for pro-advancing through NIFE.

RocksAndWedes

pilot
I remember filing out a high risk sheet during A-Pool and was able to get civilian flight instruction when I waiting to class up for IFS/API. Had to gather all the signatures and had an interview with the chain of command but I was able to get it done.

Willfly4crayons

I remember filing out a high risk sheet during A-Pool and was able to get civilian flight instruction when I waiting to class up for IFS/API. Had to gather all the signatures and had an interview with the chain of command but I was able to get it done.
Okay so it sounds like it's allowed with a little paperwork! I'm hoping to get some hours in here and there

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There's a great soaring club in Pensacola- Coastal Soaring. If you're interested in flying check them out.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
They'll probably pro-rec you through most of the NIFE flights and you'll probably TAP most of Primary - and your NSS will thank you. But they made guys with way more time than you - even guys with airline and warbird time - go through the program. I would be shocked and fascinated if they let you skip the actual program.

Willfly4crayons

They'll probably pro-rec you through most of the NIFE flights and you'll probably TAP most of Primary - and your NSS will thank you. But they made guys with way more time than you - even guys with airline and warbird time - go through the program. I would be shocked and fascinated if they let you skip the actual program.
Thanks for the feedback! I hope my little flight experience comes in handy but I'm going to approach it humbly. I know I could easily not make the cut just like anyone else. It's comforting to know I likely won't be thrown straight into a T-6.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Take a look at the NIFE instruction. Chapter 1 paragraph 1.f. discusses the Proficiency Advanced.

h. Accelerated Students. Students with prior flight time may be accelerated (Proficiency Advanced) at the discretion of the NIFE Director. The NIFE Director or NIFE Operations Officer (OPSO) has the authority to tailor each student’s accelerated syllabus based on the student’s past flying experience. Students with a Private Pilot Certificate or higher and USNA students who have completed the Powered Flight Program (PFP) are candidates for proficiency advancement. Accelerated students are required to complete all discussion items from the flight events that were accelerated. ATFs for the events not flown will be completed with a note in the remarks section stating “ACCELERATED – EVENT NOT FLOWN. ATF COMPLETED FOR ADMINISTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY IAW CNATRAINST 1542.178.”

So bottom line is that you’ll end up going through the first part (Flight Physical, gear issue, basics of Weather, Aero, AirNav, Engines, etc, as well as the water & land survival parts) and second part (ground school). Once you get to the flight side of NIFE, YOU’ll basically challenge the flying with a checkride with a CFI to prove you have the skills.

Last edited:

Willfly4crayons

Take a look at the NIFE instruction. Chapter 1 paragraph 1.f. discusses the Proficiency Advanced.

So bottom line is that you’ll end up going through the first part (Flight Physical, gear issue, basics of Weather, Aero, AirNav, Engines, etc, as well as the water & land survival parts) and second part (ground school). Once you get to the flight side of NIFE, YOU’ll basically challenge the flying with a checkride with a CFI to prove you have the skills.
Thank you. I'll definitely be keeping this in mind. I've heard that students only get 10-15hrs of flight time before they test out. So this might jump me ahead a couple of weeks at the most?

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Thanks for the feedback! I hope my little flight experience comes in handy but I'm going to approach it humbly. I know I could easily not make the cut just like anyone else. It's comforting to know I likely won't be thrown straight into a T-6.
Your 300 hours will come in handy - there was like a 20 point NSS dropoff between guys I knew had prior flight time versus those who didn't. Especially guys with instrument ratings. You'll enjoy the T-6, she's a hell of a ride.