• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Competition

es101js

pilot
I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of understanding of what NFO's really do, whether the cause of that is lack of exposure or just having people who don't do the job tell you that you "don't want to be in aviation if you can't fly the plane" or "you don't want to be a second class citizen". I think once people get more exposure their opinions change somewhat and their attitudes towards the community improve.

Yesterday, i attended the first annual FO career day at the aviation museum during the pensacola homecoming air show. Although i have a pilot slot and very limited fleet experience, i was thoroughly impressed by the jobs that NFOs have in the aviation community. They have pretty cool jobs when it comes down to it, weapons system, navigation, communication, and more, either Navy or AF. I guess what i am saying is i would be happy either way FO or NA because from what I have seen so far, either side of the aviation community is awesome and should cause no room for complaint if you dont get a front seat slot.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
NozeMan, that is actually fairly common attitude around service selection time. I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of understanding of what NFO's really do, whether the cause of that is lack of exposure or just having people who don't do the job tell you that you "don't want to be in aviation if you can't fly the plane" or "you don't want to be a second class citizen". I think once people get more exposure their opinions change somewhat and their attitudes towards the community improve.

Yeah, I totally understand what you are saying. I still think it's pretty ignorant to rag on the NFO community, that's what I took from his earlier post. You're exactly right, not enough is put out there about the NFO community. Aviation just always seemed to get lumped together throughout NROTC etc. If you're even considering Naval Aviation, learn about the NFO side as well.