• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA select, will I get really get the job I want?

j5kim1

Hello, I am a college student who will graduate with bachelor degree in Aviation Flight Science with commercial MEL and SEL with instrument rating in June. I am looking into becoming a navy officer to extend my avition career. My biggest concern of applying for the navy officer as a pilot is that I heard some stories that some people were stuck with duties that they did not apply for. I was wondering if any of you guys who applied to be a pilot but ended up being something else or if heard of a buddy who is stuck with a duty that he did not sign up for. Thanks.

Lobster

If you're applying for OCS and are selected for pilot I'm pretty sure the only ways you can not be a pilot is if you fuck it up or are not qualified medically to fly. As far as where you get sent during flight school and when you're in the fleet there are numerous factors that weigh in. How well you do is one of them so in a way you can control your own destiny but the needs of the navy come before yours. You should take into account being an officer first and an aviator second. If you weren't able to be a pilot would you still be happy with a career in the navy? Best of luck.

A10DCC

Pro-Rec SNA
If you are selected to be a pilot you will be a pilot unless you fail out of flight school, or are not physically qualified

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You should probably prepare for an assload of responses about how you're not joining the Navy to "extend" your aviation career, but rather to serve your nation as a Naval officer first.

I'd say that myself, but since I'm only in college I can't really talk. Still, if I got NPQd down the line I'd be ok with serving my commitment in whatever capacity.

j5kim1

Thank you guys for the response. I thought that everyone would understand I am here asking questions because of course I would like to serve the nation. If not, I would be asking questions on a commercial airlines website. If I could, I would serve as a pilot because I do not want to waste all the money and time I have spent into flying so far.

torpedo0126

If you put in your selection package and don't get picked up for pilot, then yes you could get a job you don't want.

Same with someone else said about being NPQ'ed. One of my best friends majored in aviation but got NPQ'd when he got down here because of some random eye thing (switched to NFO).

According to NAMI, about 22% of pilots and 25% of NFOs attrite out of flight training each year. If that ends up happening, you will either get sent home or redesignate into a different field.

Lastly, while its fantastic that you are very far along in your aviation training, having a prior background in aviation will only give you a leg up for a short while before the playing field levels.

d3west86

Have you checked to make sure that you can meet the minimum physical qualifications for OCS and/or flight school? My friend has the same commercial ratings that you will have, but he didn't meet certain standards.

It's also important to know that unless you plan on going the tailhook route, your chances of flying fixed-wing multi engine are not that good. Right now most all of the Navy's non-tailhook fixed-wing aircraft are reserve squadrons. Just food for thought...

MasterBates

Those number seem a bit high to me for the attrites.

I trust NAMI as far as I can throw the average Kingsville girl. (not far)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want a guaranteed flying career, the Navy is not the best bet for you. And your time spent flying will not necessarily get you through the Program. We've attrited students with hundreds of hours, including CFI's and CFII's.

That being said, if you have a flight spot for OCS and fail at NOMI, you can choose to DOR from OCS rather than redesignate. You will not be "forced" to pick another designator, like the Academy guys. If you fail out before wings, you can choose to redesignate, but more likely will be sent home. Right now, we're not redesignating anyone out of API.

Hope you're not too overconfident in your chances of getting a civilian job in this market. Things the way are, a few years in the SWO salt mines might look better than flipping burgers.

torpedo0126

Those number seem a bit high to me for the attrites.

I trust NAMI as far as I can throw the average Kingsville girl. (not far)

I think that sounds right because the quote regards all the people who attrite out of training for a given year. This includes people at different phases of training, as well as IFS, medical and exam failures.

Casual

Jammin'
None
According to NAMI, about 22% of pilots and 25% of NFOs attrite out of flight training each year. If that ends up happening, you will either get sent home or redesignate into a different field.

That's probably the number of people who get NPQd, not attritted. I wouldn't think that NAMI would keep tabs on the number of people who failed out of flight school anyway. At any rate, I don't know anybody who's been kicked out, and I probably would if the attrition rate was 25%...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
For those of you getting ready to jump all over using the military as a method of training for a civilian career - well the military uses that as one of their recruiting tools. As long as you do the best job possible and maintain your professionalism while serving , there is nothing wrong with this.

Whatever the motivation, the time spend in the military is a service to our country and a sacrifice by the individual.

Get over your self righteous attitudes.

MasterBates

What HAL said. Don't treat this as just building hours for the airlines, but there is no shame in doing the 8 and out and trying to get on with an airline or charter operator.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I will say to the OP- be prepared to accept the idea that hours in the military may not be as plentiful as you had hoped. With ever increasing age of our aircraft and potentially shrinking operational budgets there may be less flying hours in future years compared to how things are now, and how they used to be.