• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA's getting a Wings + 10 yr commitment?

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
I was at my NROTC unit finishing my pre-commissioning paperwork when one of the LT's (a SWO) said that NAVAIR would be changing the commitment for all SNA's getting commissioned and those in flight school from Wings + 8 years to Wings + 10 years.

Is this something that has already happened, hasn't happened yet but is definitely going to, or purely speculation?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To my knowledge, it's still 8 years. I would think they could change it for your year group, but I haven't heard any rumors or official announcements. And NAVAIR is in charge of technical development; any change in commitments would come through NPC, aka BUPERS, if I'm not mistaken.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
...So people will be sticking around for 2IA tours and a disassociated sea tour... sweeeet...

Haven't heard anything about this...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zippy said:
...So people will be sticking around for 2IA tours and a disassociated sea tour... sweeeet...

Haven't heard anything about this...
Probably bogus.

Brett

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Often given the 8 year commitment and the length of flight training, people end up being committed for 10 years plus. Mine will be a little over 11. Maybe the rumor got garbled from that.

Edit: I would also find it odd for BUPERS to be extending the commitment not long after they got done chucking a bunch of people out the window, but that's just me.

KSUFLY

pilot
BDCP + OCS + Fight School + 8 Year Comm= 12 years

Flying for the best f****** Navy in the world...timeless

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Edit: I would also find it odd for BUPERS to be extending the commitment not long after they got done chucking a bunch of people out the window, but that's just me.

FY05 and 06 need pilots. You know how this sh!t works :)

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go figure . . .
slinky.jpg

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
To my knowledge, it's still 8 years. I would think they could change it for your year group, but I haven't heard any rumors or official announcements. And NAVAIR is in charge of technical development; any change in commitments would come through NPC, aka BUPERS, if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct. NAVAIR is shortened from NAVAIRSYSCOM. They deal in acquisitions and engineering stuff.

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
I don't want to stick my reputation behind this. It's just what I heard today at the ROTC unit. As for the NAVAIR/Bupers thing, I haven't really been initiated in the Naval Aviation "Alphabet soup" thing since I haven't started formally training.

This peaked on my bull**** radar and I wanted to run it by you guys to see if it panned out.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
The rumor about the ten year tag has been floating for a little while. The Air Force already does this and the Navy is said to be planning to follow suit. Even with the eight year commitment post winging you are looking at people having to take orders post first shore tour in many cases (no option to get out after), but the ten year would pretty much lock everyone in to having another tour after their first shore tour. This is interesting in the sense that they would no longer have to beg for disassociated sea tour fillers AND could possibly add another window of opportunity to reduce/eliminate/delay any bonuses since no one can get out till after their next sea tour anyway. Just a thought.

WBGTSNA

NPQ from SNA
Contributor
I'm sorry. I need to clarify. August 4th, 2006. I'm finishing up classes now, and then I graduate.