• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Solo - Cutting Tie/Belt Question

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm the first onwing for my IP and will be soloing in a few flights after getting back from the break. I understand the whole cutting the tie tradition, plus I'll be cutting his belt. Is there anything else I should be aware of, i.e. is it customary to give the IP something or is it just cutting the belt. Is there anything else to go along with it? Thanks.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
From Wikipedia of all places...

The first solo flight of a beginner airplane pilot in North America consists of the student completing one take off and landing by his or herself. Flying such a flight is known as soloing.

Several traditions have developed around "soloing", including drenching the student with water and cutting off and permanently displaying the back of his shirt.

Usually when the student is given permission to fly alone the instructor directs the student to fly three patterns. Each pattern includes takeoff, circling of the runway, and landing. By making three flights the student gains more confidence than one flight.
Thats the one I've always heard of...
KevinH-solo-Tshirt.jpg

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I've never heard of the belt-cutting thing... you may be getting led on. As for the "something else," a bottle of your onwing's favorite libation is customary. If you're in doubt about anything, talk to your buddies who are getting their tie cut the same day... that way, if you screw up, you all screw up simultaneously, which disperses the blame.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I've never heard of the belt-cutting thing... you may be getting led on. As for the "something else," a bottle of your onwing's favorite libation is customary. If you're in doubt about anything, talk to your buddies who are getting their tie cut the same day... that way, if you screw up, you all screw up simultaneously, which disperses the blame.

I hadn't ever heard of the belt cutting either but that's what he was saying when we picked up before FAM-0. Either way, I'd heard about maybe getting a bottle of liquor or something but didn't know if there was anything else. Thanks.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The belt is no sh!t. I had to go out during the tie cutting and get one at the NEX so that my first on-wing could cut mine (I had never heard of it either). If you don't know what to get your on-wing, just ask him, he usually won't be too shy about letting you know. Liquor is always good, but if he is not much of a drinker, golf passes, restaurant gift cards, etc are always good. Also: You MUST have a good story (truth is optional) and props always help (like stage props, not mad props).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You only cut your on-wing's belt if you were his first student. I had that honor.

The shirt-back is only a civilian thing.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From Wikipedia of all places...

Thats the one I've always heard of...

Those times where you haven't "been there and done that" and should not try to speak on the subject? Ya, this is one of those times.

On Topic:
Buy a hideously ugly tie, and a bottle of his favorite booze. Get overly drunk and tell lies about each other. At least that's what I remember from mine.

usnphoenix

Remove before flight
pilot
Make sure you bring one dollar bills too. In VT-2 we got fined and had to throw some cash into the boot. Some guys forgot to bring cash so their fines were doubled others only brought large bills and the boot doesn't make change.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Try to spend in the $25 - $40 range on the gift. Also, bring plenty of $1's, as you'll get "fined" by a panel of judges (I've seen from $1 to $10 of fines). These depend on the stories you and the IP swap, and the quality of the gift. Make the story as short and funny as you can.

Edit: good call phoenix, you beat me by 2 minutes.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Water dousing = Air Force

When I went through VT-3, our tie cuttings always took place in the club ballroom next to the pool. Our CO used to joke that in the name of jointness, the option was always available to throw people in the pool after cutting their tie. Funny how it never happened . . .

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
1) Wikipedia, please....

2) I will concur with the rest, the belt cutting is real.

3) As for the tie cutting, supposedly the length of the tie (after it is cut) is the IPs opinion of you as a stud/pilot. There was always a lot of laughter as the IPs always tried to figure out where to cut the damn thing. Definitely ask the IP what booze they like, that is generally the gift. You also better be prepared with some good stories our outright lies about your IP. I had nothing on mine, so I made shit up. Some of my friends were more fortunate, and actually had some good dirt on thiers. But dude, be prepared to have your sordid mistakes aired!!

Good times though!

KSUFLY

pilot
3) As for the tie cutting, supposedly the length of the tie (after it is cut) is the IPs opinion of you as a stud/pilot.

I've never heard that one. Now it makes sense why some of the stud's ties were cut at the knot!!! I'm guessing that the length of the tie is directionally proportional to the excellence of the stud. No length=No excellence

Mine is long...mine is very long...:)

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Make sure you bring one dollar bills too. In VT-2 we got fined and had to throw some cash into the boot. Some guys forgot to bring cash so their fines were doubled others only brought large bills and the boot doesn't make change.

But if you do show up with only twenties and you're not going to get change, get your money's worth:) Throw a few shots at the judges, question the legitimacy of their authority, the court, etc. Within reason though.