• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some Questions about Naval Officers.

Jan

Jan
Hello all!

Im 15, a Freshman in High School, Im going to be a Sophmore next year. Ive been actively looking for a career this last semester and have now been heavily consiering the Navy as an Officer.

I would like to go through college doing the NROTC program and become a SWO, Surface Warfare Officer. What can I do to get a scholarship? More of do you need any requirements to get into NROTC?

Then becoming an SWO Officer, how does that work exactly? Im less concerned about the scholarship for my parents have money to pay for college. Im a lot more concerned about setting myself up to be a SWO. For info, if I decide to aim for the Navy, I would want to try and make a permenant career in it. Yet Im getting a bit confused. You first go to a college that offers NROTC, get accepted into it, and then see if you get a scholership? Yet I thought you could apply for scholarships and all that Jr. Year of High School. Please help me out.

Yet back to the other part of the question, what should I do to get a scholarship and get into NROTC. Also, a permenant career in the Navy is possible right?

Heres some info on me and what I have going this past year.

1st Semester.
Term 2 GPA 4.029
Final Semester 1 GPA 3.787
Total GPA (Adds previous semesters, so its the same) 3.787
Rank 95 out of 472.

Im in Chorus and German Club for activities.

2ed Semester
Term 4 GPA 4.089
Final Semester GPA 3.84
Total GPA at the end of Freshman year. 3.848
Rank 88 out of 470.

Yes, the class total dropped. We lost 2 somewhere. Someone was hit by a train, yet I thought he was a Sophomore. One dropped out? Im not sure. Only club still German Club and Chorus.

I always seem to get halfway through the Semester with a 4 and it just goes downhill. Im not getting lazy, just terrible things happen.

This isnt that impressive. I was nothing before High School and changed it Academically. So what can I do too improve? I have been working out the past month I have begun to lift weights and bike ride. (On trails with the pedaling difficulty high). Im not that sure where I can get a leadership position from. I do plan on running for Student Council next year too for sure along with some other activity.

Track, does that count as a team sport? There are no leadership positions in that here, yet its the one physical activity I think I could do. In Chorus, does becoming a section leader count as a leadership position? Im unsure if some of this does not count because other school's chorus's do not offer it.

Please help me prepare for a possible Career as a SWO, NROTC, and NROTC Scholarships. I believe this is what I want to do with my life. Yet Im still going to do all I can to try and win a scholarship. Even if I decide aganist it a lot late Sophomore year, my work towards it will still count for whatever else I have planned. If you have any other good information or sites, please tell me.

One more thing, whats the deal with ASVB tests? Does everyone take those, if so, when? Then theres still the idea of what college and what else to do, yet theres plenty of time in the future for that.

Jan.

Rasczak

Marine
You may want to look into the Naval Academy. You apply for the ROTC scholarship when you try to join or after a couple of years of school you can apply for BDCP.

You won't take the ASVAB, you will take the ASTB. Kinda like an SAT.

Goob83

None
don't waste your time do NROTC

you have to take the SAT keep your grades up and then choose from 185 colleges out there that have NROTC. you apply online so very easy todo. if you do NROTC you get great college life and navy when your done. Oh the first year is free. every NRD has an NROTC department you just need to walk in or call an NRS office and ask for the NROTC folks. good luck and do well on your SAT.

phrogpilot73

I disagree with the previous post. Mainly because it's entitled don't waste your time. My suggestion would be to make an informed decision. Learn everything you can about EVERY program, and every school you're interested in, then decide. USNA is no more a waste of time than BDCP or NROTC is. Some people prefer it, others don't.

Goob83

None
you are correct Sir everyone is different. But you must admit NROTC is a Sweet deal. If you desire one school over another and wish to have a normal college life.

phrogpilot73

you are correct Sir everyone is different. But you must admit NROTC is a Sweet deal. If you desire one school over another and wish to have a normal college life.
Again, since everyone is different they are all sweet deals. I got a $250,000 education and a comission in the Marine Corps, and a huge professional network (small sampling of some of the companies that my classmates work at: Shell, Lockheed Martin, USAA, Under Armour, GMAC, Caterpillar, Johnson & Johnson, GE. All of them have positions as senior engineers, managers, or directors). Sounds to me like USNA was a sweet deal.

gtg941f

pilot

I agree with Phrog, NROTC is a good deal but there's different programs that suit different people. If you're so sure that NROTC is such a great deal money and "normal" life-wise, BDCP could be considered even better and some people could ignorantly say that NROTC is a "waste of time". I have friends at the USNA and although a challenge, it offers a great education and prepares you well for a career.

To the OP, just look into all the programs and see what best suits you.

Goob83

None
BDCP is great too. A very popular choice is for applicants to do first year free of NROTC then apply for BDCP. one is not guaranteed a select for BDCP going this route but if they have done well in school the chances of selection are good. Especially if you get good LOR from the NROTC CO. It happens very often and as mentioned all three are great programs. Keep asking questions on AW to help your selection, heck apply for USNA and NROTC get accepted to both and take your pick.

Rasczak

Marine
Big point that no one has mentioned though. Your just starting HS. Start getting ready now. Do more volunteer work, do damned good in school and join and hold positions in clubs. Do whatever it takes to get yourself accepted into any of those programs. Your going to want to have a very nice looking application. It takes work, but if you want to do this, do what you need to to make the Navy feel you will be a good officer.

RAS

retired but still flying
None
I had a year of college before I went to USNA; for someone who's looking to join the Navy, I'd take USNA over "normal college life" in a heartbeat. But that's me. I don't know your financial situation but for me the sweet deal was getting paid to live in Bancroft Hall with a select group of individuals from across the country -- no tuition, no rent, no utility bills, no student loans, nothing but do your job, go to class, learn and graduate.

ROTC is a good deal too though and depending on your situation it may be better for you. We've all got opinions, but you need to decide for yourself.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello all!
So what can I do too improve? I have been working out the past month I have begun to lift weights and bike ride. (On trails with the pedaling difficulty high). Im not that sure where I can get a leadership position from. I do plan on running for Student Council next year too for sure along with some other activity.

Track, does that count as a team sport? There are no leadership positions in that here, yet its the one physical activity I think I could do. In Chorus, does becoming a section leader count as a leadership position? Im unsure if some of this does not count because other school's chorus's do not offer it.

You need to get into sports activity of some sort not just to make you application look good, but to get into peak shape and learn how to compete as well as getting into a workout routine. Track is great because running is part of your military training and annual evaluation experience. Your grades are very competitive so just need to show some team sports performance so you don't look imbalanced towards academics. Sports will count more than chorus (that doesn't translate that well even for SWO types). Get an office in student council or in your club and you'll get your leadership ticket punched there.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
you have to take the SAT keep your grades up and then choose from 185 colleges out there that have NROTC. you apply online so very easy todo. if you do NROTC you get great college life and navy when your done. Oh the first year is free. every NRD has an NROTC department you just need to walk in or call an NRS office and ask for the NROTC folks. good luck and do well on your SAT.

As an LDO, exactly which program (USNA, NROTC, BDCP) did you go through? Also, exactly what kind of "normal" college life did you have? I'm just curious where you get your expertise in these matters that you feel you can help the original poster make an informed decision.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sports will count more than chorus (that doesn't translate that well even for SWO types).
Well, there were times we all gathered in the wardroom, grabbed each others peckers and sang Kumbaya.