• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

some RCAF hud footage....gone bad!!!

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I had a friend at riddle who almost failed his private checkride because he didnt know which way a bird tends to dive away from an airplane. I think there were more factors that led him to almost failing though. he was told birds dive left (cockpit view) if they have space below the plane.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NavyVance said:
Not like you can try to avoid a bird that close to the ground.
There are those who have, and those who will. Just hope it doesn't hit something important - like your 1st compressor stage, or your face! :D

Brett

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Try flying into Midway Island... at night there are about 20-30 birds that you nearly miss. You'd get smacked for sure if it were legal to land there during the day.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Im trying to find a picture of a f-14 that had a bird go through the front of the canopy, pass both pilot and rio safely, and splatter on the back of the cockpit. i'll post it if i find it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
kmac said:
Try flying into Midway Island... at night there are about 20-30 birds that you nearly miss. You'd get smacked for sure if it were legal to land there during the day.

Two friends of mine were flying somewhere up there last year. I can't remember if it was Midway or another smaller island that's part of the chain. Anyway, they needed to land to do something (medevac or Red Cross), and when they were 30 minutes out, they called the "tower." He said roger, and to call him when they were 5 minutes out. So they did, and what do they see, but the guy coming out in his truck, and chasing all the birds off the landing area. There were hundreds (bird sanctuary), and he moved them just far enough away so the helo could come in and land. Probably a bit uncomfortable, but still interesting to see.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
There were hundreds (bird sanctuary), and he moved them just far enough away so the helo could come in and land. Probably a bit uncomfortable, but still interesting to see.

Same thing for us when departing in the wee hours. A truck drives down the runway and kicks away whatever Goonies are lounging there. With a nice 7 foot wingspan, I'd hate to take one of those anywhere on the aircraft. The entire way in our out of there you're crossing your fingers as you watch birds whiz by above and below you.

T-man

kmac said:

Just curious - why is it illegal to land during the day?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
T-man said:
Just curious - why is it illegal to land during the day?

I am curious as to why as well...

On another note, that was a pretty crazy vid... the pilots seemed to have kept their cool really well though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't have a SUP to say for sure, but I think the thinking is that the birds don't fly as much as night. However, if you've ever flown on goggles at night, especially around random Pacific islands, you'll see that's bogus.

Kmac may have a better answer.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gator is right on the mark. The Goonies are daytime only birds. While there are nocturnal birds, their numbers are dramatically less than their daylight brethren. I'm trying to upload some pictures, but am not having any luck. Anyone who is much smarter than me please advise...I've gone to gallery, upload photos but for some reason it's not uploading.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh, that's right. Forgot it was that specific type of bird that was the problem. You even mentioned Goonie birds on your last post. Sorry about that.