• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some Sandbox Pics

pdx

HSM Pilot
Mothballing planes isn't a no brainer. It takes time, equipment, planning, etc (none of which the Iraqis had). I'm sure they would have liked to have had a few of the boneyard guys from Davis-Monthan. But they didn't, so their planes got f-ed up. Too bad, I have a sentimental spot for old warbirds ... even "evil" ones.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Mothballing planes isn't a no brainer. It takes time, equipment, planning, etc (none of which the Iraqis had). I'm sure they would have liked to have had a few of the boneyard guys from Davis-Monthan. But they didn't, so their planes got f-ed up. Too bad, I have a sentimental spot for old warbirds ... even "evil" ones.

BTW Some of the recovered MiGs and SUs from Iraq have made their way to Nellis AFB. Including a Mi-24 Hind.

You get to play around in them, I have some pictures from a tour. Anyways thanks for the info. That sucks that they choose to destroy so many planes, but I suppose its better that than put any of our Pilots at risk.

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
When we were flying around Baghdad and north up to Tikrit in April of 2003, there were Iraqi aircraft of all types just sitting out in the middle of crop fields. They just towed them out there figuring that is the last place we (the U.S., not necessarily CH-53E) would look to bomb I guess. Strangest thing seeing a Hind, Foxbat, Fulcrum, etc. sitting out there like a parked farm implement.

Speaking of Al Asad, I was out there in 2004 when we took it over from the Army. I hear the place has improved drastically in the two years since then. That place was pretty much the Iraqi equivalent of Nellis. Basically the main air base in the country.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
Yeah, but the news reports at the time said that they were buried with little or no protection (latex spray, etc.) and as such were nearly destroyed in the process. In other words, they didn't find any aircraft that were in any shape to fly without serious restoration work.

So... they opted to destroy their planes... to avoid their destruction... wtf? PC load letter?
Just the messenger . . . I didn't say it had to make sense, did I?:icon_tong