• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Southwest US flying

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A few questions for those that have recently boomed around the desert Southwest in a gray (or other) aircraft...

Sedona...I never made it there in a T-34, but hear everyone stops there. The contract fuel listing website doesn't list it as having gas. Am I blind or is there a trick to the system?

Let's assume a trip in the area is in something w/ moving wings (and therefore more susceptible to DA), is Sedona worth the trip? I ask because...

Grand Canyon (KGCN)... Has gas and is obviously next to a natural wonder. Is a stop there worth it? More worth it than Sedona? I'm guessing yes, but wonder about it as a food stop, as well. Is getting into the Grand Canyon area fairly easy while staying legal? Looking at SkyVector, I see a dedicated Sectional, but haven't studied it very closely. I wouldn't have a lot of time to mess around in the area (probably less than 30 minutes or so), but I'm guessing the view is worth it.

Thoughts?

phrogpilot73

Sedona has gas. We bought it there when we stopped in the mighty Battle Phrog. The restaurant & view is more than worth it.

I haven't been to Grand Canyon, but if you get a chance to go to Cody, Wyoming - I highly recommend it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The Grand Canyon airspace does have specific rules. One set for tour operators and the rest for other aircraft. The tour operators generally get to operate lower and have specific tour routes to follow while lower. Get the VFR chart and follow it. One side of the chart is for the tour operators and one for the rest of us. The rules are not really that hard, basically altitudes to stay above. If the Feds catch you breaking the rules, the fines are pretty big.

Great veiw if you've never seen it. Worth the effort.

If you stop at GCN, there are a few resturants and fast food places in town. None great. If the FBO won't drive you there, it's about a mile walk. We used to walk it all the time when I was flying tours there.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I have stopped at GCN on a cross country to Fallon. I was there in the winter, but the amount of aircraft parking leads me to believe that it would be horribly busy in the summer. Flying over the Grand Canyon was a no brianer and really cool. Just stay above the altitudes (7000 MSL over some area, 9000 MSL over others). If you are having trouble getting the chart, I can get you the NSN.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sedona has gas. We bought it there when we stopped in the mighty Battle Phrog. The restaurant & view is more than worth it.

I haven't been to Grand Canyon, but if you get a chance to go to Cody, Wyoming - I highly recommend it.

I'm wondering if Sedona lost their contract, because it's not on the listing...again, maybe I'm just blind in my old age. https://ports.desc.dla.mil/ip_cis/i...ss_req&REQ_TYPE=REGION&LOOK_ID=SUNITED_STATES

Wyoming is a little far for this trip. At moment I have an extra day programmed into the trip, so a day trip up to the GC seemed like something that "has" to be done. @HAL, haven't ever been, so I'm trying to add it to the list, as long as the bird works.

I have stopped at GCN on a cross country to Fallon. I was there in the winter, but the amount of aircraft parking leads me to believe that it would be horribly busy in the summer. Flying over the Grand Canyon was a no brianer and really cool. Just stay above the altitudes (7000 MSL over some area, 9000 MSL over others). If you are having trouble getting the chart, I can get you the NSN.

I have a feeling the NSN won't be all that helpful what with the glacial speed that the Pub supply system operates at, but if you can pass it, I'll take it.

Looking at the chart on SkyVector, it says northbound traffic flies at 11.5k and southbound traffic flies at 10.5k (all MSL). I could do 10.5K, but not sure if 11.5k is doable w/ the engines I'll have...or the DA Natops limits. Where were you getting the 7000 and 9000 numbers? I'm guessing on this chart you speak of, just figured it would be on the SkyVector version, too. I'll have to study it again. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully I can make this happen.

phrogpilot73

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Those are the altitudes if you fly through the corridor. We flew from the Diamond Creek Sector(9000 MSL) to the Pearce Ferry Sector (8000 MSL)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Those are the altitudes if you fly through the corridor. We flew from the Diamond Creek Sector(9000 MSL) to the Pearce Ferry Sector (8000 MSL)

Ahh, okay, gotcha. That makes sense as I look at the chart. Due to time, I think we'd be limited to the Supai sector. But still, I can do 10000 MSL. I can probably do 10.5K okay, but I really don't think the engines will give me much more than that. I know a way to find out though... Thanks for the info Hokie.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Might not be that cosmic for helo guys, but landing at Marble Canyon ( http://airnav.com/airport/l41 ) is pretty cool. There's a bridge over the river you can walk out over and a gas station with a greasy restaurant inside. To the south of the canyon, you can stop in Valle ( http://airnav.com/airport/40g ) and checkout the two air museums. There's the standard one that has been there for years and a new one next door which is somebody's private collection opened to the public -- all of their planes fly, including the tri-motor.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was actually looking at Marble Canyon earlier. That looks like a sweet little place to drop into. Unfortunately, I just don't think I'll have the time. Valle sound interesting too. There's just so many cool little places to discover in the southwest...and so little time. This is why I need to be independently wealthy.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Well, if I had to choose, I would go with Marble Canyon and then fly up (assuming you're going NE...?) past Page and through the lake. Grand Junction has a fuel contract and that military friendly fbo.

Prescott is also fun to stop in and go to Whiskey Row -- they have a fuel contract and are right next to Sedona. Havasu has free slushies and it's cool to fly over the lake. We need a NAS in AZ, then you wouldn't have to worry about being independently wealthy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The Marble Canyon runway is an old road. That's why there is a bend in the middle. Big f'ing crack in the ground off the south end of the runway where if you aborted your t/o and failed to stop prior to the end, it was a long drop..... I used to take river rafters there all the time when I flew for Scenic.

Another good place is Monument Valley. Cool rock formations and no airspace restrictions. A lot of old western movies filmed in the area. Some modern ones too. You will easily recognize the landscape when you see it.

gotta_fly

pilot
I flew through the area in the Spring and it's (obviously) absolutely gorgeous. The ILS into Flagstaff is really cool and there's a GPS into Sedona is one of the most scenic things I've ever seen. My buddy stopped at Grand Canyon for contract gas and picked up the canyon chart there. He was able to work the VFR corridor into his departure and said it was one of the best experiences he's had. This was all in T-44s, for what it's worth.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, if I had to choose, I would go with Marble Canyon and then fly up (assuming you're going NE...?) past Page and through the lake. Grand Junction has a fuel contract and that military friendly fbo.

Prescott is also fun to stop in and go to Whiskey Row -- they have a fuel contract and are right next to Sedona. Havasu has free slushies and it's cool to fly over the lake. We need a NAS in AZ, then you wouldn't have to worry about being independently wealthy.

Actually coming from the east to TUS. But if I can squeeze another fly day out of it, then it's up to the GC.

I flew through the area in the Spring and it's (obviously) absolutely gorgeous. The ILS into Flagstaff is really cool and there's a GPS into Sedona is one of the most scenic things I've ever seen. My buddy stopped at Grand Canyon for contract gas and picked up the canyon chart there. He was able to work the VFR corridor into his departure and said it was one of the best experiences he's had. This was all in T-44s, for what it's worth.

You know, you don't have to fly the instrument approaches to enjoy the scenery.

A good call on getting the chart at GCN. I was going to try that, or some place before then.

@HAL,

Monument Valley is another place I've never really been would love to fly around. Again, just a little too far and not enough time.