• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Special Mission DH Selects making O-5?

wknowak

Does anyone know if any of the Special Mission DHs up for O-5 were selected? Wondering if I should even bother hoping when my time comes.....

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I know at least two 1310 OP-Ts were on there- not really great odds though. I haven't looked at the breakdown on the debrief yet (I have a casual interest but not a personal stake.)

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I really want to know who the three blue chip spud-f@ckers are that were selected beloow the zone -one HR and two IP. I've known Air Force guys who got picked up that way (including one twice, making him a very young O-6...), but don't know anyone in the Navy that has. Who do you have to kill? (or in this case, recruit, or fix their computers.)

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I've known Air Force guys who got picked up that way (including one twice, making him a very young O-6...)
Tell me about it! When I was a T-37 student, I knew my Viper guy Flight Commander (Air Force Captain) was a front runner, but damn!!! 7 years later I saw him in the Norfolk NEX-full bird Colonel working for JFCOM!!! Didn't know whether to salute him or call for his driver!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So being a special mission DH mostly does the same thing for you as being a non- screen DH: Terminal O-4 and community bitch for the rest of your time until you retire? Whats the plus side then? The completion of the bonus payments?

Jim123

pilot
That and a couple big downsides seem to be no sea pay and you have to go home and sleep in your own house pretty much every night of the tour.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Tell me about it! When I was a T-37 student, I knew my Viper guy Flight Commander (Air Force Captain) was a front runner, but damn!!! 7 years later I saw him in the Norfolk NEX-full bird Colonel working for JFCOM!!! Didn't know whether to salute him or call for his driver!

7 years from captain to colonel? DAMN! Was he the second coming of Curtis LeMay or something?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
That and a couple big downsides seem to be no sea pay and you have to go home and sleep in your own house pretty much every night of the tour.

TACRON is also a SM DH slot now. So, you get sea pay, no flying, and work consists of standing a watch and submitting ATO inputs for the Marines on an amphib. Now that is a good deal. And yes, the sarcasm is intended.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
The VT's made the OP-T thing worth it. Great flying and lots of it, good people. But the illusion of 0-5 was a disappointing, but not surprising considering the reality of retention and large year groups. If you're terminal, there are a lot worse places to be.

Jim123

pilot
community bitch

No no, I think the wording was something along the lines of "...Naval Aviation's investment in these officers." :)

Anyway, "SM/OP-T/whatever they call it next/go back to not calling it anything in particular" and CNATRA FTS look a lot alike.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's always the "Specialty Career Path"...you never know, you could use that to make O-5 if the OP-T DH doesn't work out.....BTW, you get to stay a 13X0 and collect flight pay assuming you have met all your gates. Apps are due JUN 9th.

-ea6bflyr ;)