• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sport and NROTC

wizpatch

I am on my way to Vanderbilt in the fall of 2006 and was wondering if anyone has any insight on what its like to balance playing a club sport (something involving travel and practices) with a NROTC committment. The websites say people take part in frats and sports but how much truth is there to that at Vandy, or more generally, elsewhere in the country. Are people able to balance the frats and sports with NROTC?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I have a couple friends that have done sports and frats. I dont think any of them have done both. The sport practices took the place of navy pt's (about half of them) in the morning so that was not a big issue. Away games are usually not an issue but there are weekends where you have to play navy with no execptions. Its all about time management and telling your staff ahead of time of dates that you will be missing navy activities.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
I myself didn't do both, but alot of my friends from ROTC were in sports or frats, a few I think tackled both. But then again, they're grades also suffered a bit and they had to bust their arse to stay in. I tried to play rugby my freshman year and found it wasn't worth balancing that, ROTC, and an engineering degree, so decided that rugby had to go. So people definitely do it, and do it well, it's just a matter of how badly you want it. You'll learn all about time management when you get to college.

Bevo16

pilot
I was on the football team in college while on ROTC scholarship, and it was pretty demanding. I was lucky to have very supportive CO's who thought me being on the team was great as long as I kept my grades up. Some of the LT's in the unit were less than supportive though. A few of them thought my full time job should have been ROTC (most of that was bitterness from a former academy girl who hated jocks). I kept the magic number north of 3.0 though, so there was not much that they could say about it.

One of the biggest benifits was not having to PT with the unit (they had runs at 0600 twice a week), but I did have to come out and do the PRT once a semester. It was a joke compared to the football workouts, so it was more like a day off than anything.

It would have been to much to try and do a frat as well. If you do ROTC and play a sport, you will have plenty of social stuff to keep you busy. No need to pay for friends.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
this might be slightly off topic, but if you are a scholarship mid and you are on a full athletic scholarship, is there a way to get your athletic money deposited into your bank account (since the NROTC money is direct deposited into your school account already)? Because if that were the case, you would be rolling OC style:D

BurghGuy

I don't think the school would let that happen. Technically I don't think the school pays you to play football for them, just so you can pay it back to them in form of tuition. I think it's more or less, this kid plays football for us, don't charge him.

That WOULD be awesome though. If you had to pick, take the ROTC scholarship, you get a stipend that way.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Bevo said:
I was on the football team in college while on ROTC scholarship, and it was pretty demanding. I was lucky to have very supportive CO's who thought me being on the team was great as long as I kept my grades up. Some of the LT's in the unit were less than supportive though. A few of them thought my full time job should have been ROTC (most of that was bitterness from a former academy girl who hated jocks). I kept the magic number north of 3.0 though, so there was not much that they could say about it.

One of the biggest benifits was not having to PT with the unit (they had runs at 0600 twice a week), but I did have to come out and do the PRT once a semester. It was a joke compared to the football workouts, so it was more like a day off than anything.

It would have been to much to try and do a frat as well. If you do ROTC and play a sport, you will have plenty of social stuff to keep you busy. No need to pay for friends.

yeah she was a monkey wasnt she?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While there can be some pleasant exceptions to this rule, female SWO's are typically....shall we say....a bit rough around the edges.

wizpatch said:
The websites say people take part in frats and sports but how much truth is there to that at Vandy, or more generally, elsewhere in the country. Are people able to balance the frats and sports with NROTC?
A lot of guys in my unit were in fraternities. Didn't seem to be much of an issue. I think the comments about sports on the websites are probably referring to intramural sports. I'm only guessing though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
BurghGuy said:
I don't think the school would let that happen. Technically I don't think the school pays you to play football for them, just so you can pay it back to them in form of tuition. I think it's more or less, this kid plays football for us, don't charge him.

That WOULD be awesome though. If you had to pick, take the ROTC scholarship, you get a stipend that way.

Right...good point....since that would kind of be like them giving you tuition money just to have you turn around and give it right back (assuming that you used the money for tuition). Do athletic scholarships not pay a stipend as well?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
Right...good point....since that would kind of be like them giving you tuition money just to have you turn around and give it right back (assuming that you used the money for tuition). Do athletic scholarships not pay a stipend as well?

When I was enrolled at the University of Central Florida if you had a full-scholarship you received any funds in addition to that for your own use. Might be different where you are but I lived quite nicely from that deal! ERAU puts a limit on how much your refund can be ( they limit to their idea of cost of living which is ridiculously cheap). So that makes me think that its up to the school. Hope this helps!

BurghGuy

I think the comments about sports on the websites are probably referring to intramural sports. I'm only guessing though.

I played just about every intramural offered, football, soccer, softball, swimming, badmitton and chinese checkers (really) among others, (our unit always put teams together) those won't get you out of PT. But who cares, it's just PT for crying out loud, so it shouldn't be your main reason for taking up a sport.

We did have a few guys who played on the actual football team, (it was the CMU team though...), and a few Pitt swimmers, who all did just fine. Most eeked by with pretty basic majors and did the minimum to graduate. Which I can't really argue with. Everyones got their priorities.

Basically you can do both, but don't be surprised when a situation pops up where you need to make a desicion to let one go.

Oh, and also, be very very careful about sports related injuries. We had a guy his freshman year blow out his knee really badly playing on the football team. It caused a few hiccups in his ROTC scholarship money and is now potentially harming his chances of even being commissioned.

An edit from earlier: I gave up my sport because I could make every practice, but due to ROTC and school commitments I could only make like 1 game a season. I figured it not be worth it for me.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
MIDNJAC said:
this might be slightly off topic, but if you are a scholarship mid and you are on a full athletic scholarship, is there a way to get your athletic money deposited into your bank account (since the NROTC money is direct deposited into your school account already)? Because if that were the case, you would be rolling OC style:D

Just to stay off topic with you, I knew a girl who was on an athletic scholarship for track, then picked up BDCP, and a guy who was prior going to school on the GI Bill, then picked up BDCP. Good deals for all my friends.