• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sport and NROTC

Bevo16

pilot
I was a walk-on football player, so I did not have to worry about dual scholarships. ROTC scholarships did not put any money into your account, they just paid the tuition bill. I did get the monthly stipend though. I did get some cash for playing football, but that was just per-diem for bowl trips.

I was prior enlisted, so I also got the GI Bill. That was cash in my account every month (Between 800 & 1100). I also got the STA scholarship that was $1,000 a semster. With all that and with the ROTC money, I did pretty well in college. I had about $15K saved when I graduated with no debt. It was enough to get me in a really nice truck.

I didn't even have to steal any liscence plates to get out of parking tickets. Rare.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I know, I know, nobody cares ... but I rowed major college Frosh and JV crew --- it was never a problem with travel, school, grades, NROTC participation (full scholarship) , or fraternity social life.You learned how to manage your time, which is a good thing. The ROTC unit supported everyone who participated in interscholastic or intramural sports --- it was never an issue, as long as you kept your head above water.

At the start of my junior year: got cut from crew (too small @ 6' and 185 lbs --- which made me the "smallest" out of > 70 guys going up for Varsity crew ... :) , moved out of the fraternity into an apartment, grades went to hell, started smoking, increased drinking. I got a red TR-4 and spent too much time on wine, women, and song.

Took up intramural boxing as a substitute --- probably a lot of pent-up anger ??? There must be a lesson here .... :icon_rast

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
That drinking and smoking isn't such a good thing? And that maybe a TR4 isn't a good car choice for a college junior?:)

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
fut.MIDSHIPMAN said:
Does the NROTC give you like a monthly pay check?

Have you actually looked at the NROTC website yet? Most of the questions you ask would be answered by it! Not to be mean, just thought I could lead ya in the right direction! :icon_wink

edit: https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/ <--- the treasure chest of information!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am actually a sophomore at Vandy NROTC and yes people do sports here. One of the freshmen is on the football team and I know some other people have dabbled in the club sports. People do everything here, Greek life, write for papers, honor council, etc. It's just a matter of time management. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the unit or Vandy if you like.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
That drinking and smoking isn't such a good thing?

Hell yes its a good thing... you got the wrong lesson from A4's post.