• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Square One

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bob

First time post, first time on this site, and quite honetly first time that I am getting serious about going to OCS. I've thought about it, oh, most of my life, but the time just feels right and with a job ending in November (I work on a very popular U.S. Senate campaign) I want to begin the process NOW.

I've read most everything on this site and you guys have been great about answering most every question. I'm curious as to the timeline of going to OCS. Take me for example, I just now want to join. I know about the test I have to take, the physical readiness I have to be in, and the other ins and outs.

My question is how long will this all take? Let's say that I go to the recruiter tomorrow and say I want to join. When should I expect to take the academic and physical tests?

There are a lot of considerations to look at, but I'll be out of a job in about a month or two and want to see if I should even consider looking into another job (if only a temp job) while preparing for OCS.

Thanks in advance!

grouch

The Bob, It took me about six months for the total process. If you go to your recruiter on Monday, you could take the ASTB by the end of the week (if it is offered). You could also go to MEPS fairly quick. If you are in good shape, you could do your PRT in short order as well. The whole process is long however and I suggest that you start now. The security questionair took a long time for me to fill out becuase some information needed was hard to track down. Best of luck.

Hartman

I met a Primary student in Chorpus who said he got his application out the door in 40 days. I would say most applications take longer, but you can get it done pretty quickly if you're willing to spend a lot of time on it.

tali264

It took me about 3 months from the time I started the application process to when I got word about getting in. That also included the Christmas holiday, so as long as your recruiter tells you everything you need to do (mine gave me a list), you just need to make the time to do it. Also.... get on the recommendation letters quick because some people you ask take their sweet time doing them.
Good luck
icon_smile.gif

The Bob

Thanks all. I will check with the recruiter tomorrow. I guess the only downside for me is that I'm not in tip-top shape (that's what a year of campaigning will do to you), but that's something that will have to take priority especially since it sounds like getting into OCS is very competetive.

Another question, can you take the ATSB test at any time (and as many times as you would like) in the recruitment process? I'm not terribly worried about it, but just want to see what options are available.

Again, I appreciate all your help. While my poor vision won't allow me to be a pilot, I'm really intrigued by the Intel community (yeah, I know I shouldn't hold my breath).

Thanks again.

Tessone

Getting into shape honestly shouldn't be too bad, depending on which service you're thinking about joining. I basically had exercised only sporadically in my youth, and not at all for about four years, before this April. Now I'm in pretty decent shape, just from doing martial arts, lifting, and running. You have to be serious and committed about it, but it can be done. Sadly, "pretty decent shape" doesn't cut it for the Marine Corps, so I still have a ways to go.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

FlyGirl

Oh, Guess I was different, I really, REALLY wanted to be sent ASAP when I turned the application in...however, my application was accepted in April2002 and my date is Feb2003!!!! (10 month wait!!) I think it depends on the demand and how many slots available for OCS. It may have been because of people signing up after September 11th. (although, that's just a theory). I can just say that sometimes it is hurry up and wait. If you have bills to pay, you should probably start looking and tell your future employer nothing about your plans(otherwise they may not hire you). Then do the application process and keep things rolling until you have a date in hand. I was lucky in the fact I had my current job then and will have until the week before I leave. :)

Harmony Boy

The Bob,
You have to schedule to take the ASTB, but depending on your recruiter (if he's willing to work with you) you could conceivably take it "any time". After the first time you have to wait 30 days before you're able to take it again and 180 days every time thereafter (and as many times as you like). Whatever you scored on the last time you took the test are the scores that are used. Those scores will be good for the rest of your life if you decide not to test ever again (there is no "statute of limitations", if you will).

If you really want to be a pilot/NFO I would look into PRK. You can do a search on this forum for tons of info on the subject.

Just my $0.02

James

The Bob

So Flygirl, with you applying 6 months ago does this mean that if I got my application accepted let's say in December (wishful thinking perhaps), does this mean that I'll likely not be going until September or October of next year?

Gosh, seems like a long wait. Guess I'll be be looking for a job.

grouch

The Bob, I forgot to tell you that four months was taken up with wavier issues. It would have been much quicker if I wasn't deaf.

Tessone

Originally posted by The Bob
So Flygirl, with you applying 6 months ago does this mean that if I got my application accepted let's say in December (wishful thinking perhaps), does this mean that I'll likely not be going until September or October of next year?

Gosh, seems like a long wait. Guess I'll be be looking for a job.

It's going to depend on lots and lots of issues--what pipeline you're entering, how many slots are around and at what times, etc. There's even the chance to trade, or the chance that a slot could open up and you could get called. But in making plans for the future, I'd assume that the wait will be reasonably long to be safe--you might get pleasantly surprised.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

The Bob

Thanks Chris. When applying for OCS can you state a preference for when you want to start? I'd prefer to go before those hot summer days.

FlyGirl

Like Tessone said, It will depend on many factors. Like I said I think my delay was because (1) all the people that were recruited because of September 11th (2) because some #$%@ army guys were working on the EKG machine before they tested me at MEPS and I had to obtain a waiver for an absolutely healthy heart! (also had to pay a cardiologist over $250.00 for them to do an Echo..which was totally NORMAL!) ..this added 3 weeks to my package being accepted and caused me to get a later date. and (3) my recruiter said he was trying to time it right so I could do OCS and API pretty close to each other. I know other people that had a long stash duties lasting 6 to 9 months as they were waiting on API classes to start up.

And believe me, you may need the time. I've been able to do a great deal of work on my runs, pushups and swimmings. the more you push yourself now, the easier it will be to get through OCS from what I understand. :) If you do get a later date, then just use the time to your advantage...

The Bob

I'm looking at the application (or maybe I'm not looking hard enough). Even though I'm two years out of college, do I need to include high school transcripts?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.