• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Square One

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bob

I spoke with the recruiting office (the recruiters are taking a week off or something). The lady I spoke with (she might have been just a temp worker) said something about the new standars that took place in October.

She said that all I would have to do for my packet is take the ASTB test, get my paperwork together, and then they ship it to the board to review. If they accept me, they'll give me a date for OCS and THEN I'll do my PRT.

Don't you do your physical test when you do your academic test? I just want to make sure so that I don't have to doubletime busting my ass to get in tip-top shape.

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
You don't necessarily have to do the PRT on the same day as the ASTB, but they're both part of the package. I've never heard of waiting until after getting accepted to take the PRT.

FYI I took my ASTB in mid-may, then the PRT in early June. My package was sent at the end of June.

The Bob

Can someone provide some insight into recommendation letters?

I'm going for Intel and SWO as a second choice. I've got three great contacts (a Russian professor, a Congressman, and a Senator). The last two I worked for, and the Senator's office basically said "send us whatever you want us to write."

This is a real plus, because basically I'm writing my own recommendation. What do I want to include? What does the board look for in candidats for either Intel or SWO?

Thanks in advance!

cman

Bob, I've never talked with anyone who sits on the boards down in TN, so I can't tell you anything specific. That said however, from what I've seen on this forum it seems that what they like best is people who actually know you and can speak about characteristics that they have personally observed. ie. "so and so has great leadership potential." Well, everyone's letter is going to say that, so what's better is something like "so and so has displayed great leadership skills on more than one occasion. He/she developed and implimented a proram for... blah, blah, blah, served as a advisor for... Get the picture? The key is to give specific examples.

Chris

FlyGirl

TheBob..cman's right, you want people that know you personally. But also a good suggestion is to find someone with excellent writing skills...you don't want a recommendation letter that is lengthy or one that's general about your qualifications. I varied mine...I had one neighbor do it as she has known me for 12 years/they are navy family, a former boss and attorney because he's a great writer and knows my work quality, and a professor whom I took 5 classes with who knew my academic ability. I thought breaking up the three was the best as the navy was more able to get a complete picture of my personal, professional and academic abilities. :) Anyhow, just a suggestion. (I did know Judges and people in office but didn't feel they knew me enough to write a good recommendation for me even with working on their campaigns...) I really also think it helped add to my overall package. I mean really, physical scores can improve, academic test scores can vary...so personal recommendations is where the rest is coming from....

Status
Not open for further replies.