• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sta-21

Navy Swimmer02

its been awile since Ive last posted, how is everyone? I'm trying to put together a STA-21 package, but it seems like every time I get going on it, something comes up things kinda get put on the back burner. I am a non-acoustic AW about to PCS to VP-1. Which leaves for deployment to Japan in December. I keep getting frustrated and wonder if I'll ever have time to focus on my package. Any advice?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get it done....No time like the present. When I got selected to ECP, I had orders to VP-30 as an FE.....I took the ECP orders.

ea6bflyr

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
Get it done....No time like the present. When I got selected to ECP, I had orders to VP-30 as an FE.....I took the ECP orders.

ea6bflyr
No kidding. I didn't know you were a fellow VP guy.

Brett

LoneSailor

Where there's a will, there's a way. How bad do you really want it? I'm sure there was a handful of STA-21 applicants this year that worked on their package either underway or deployed. I was deployed for the better half of last year and this year and still managed to turn in a Naval Academy package from scratch.

Have you been getting your chain of command involved? I'm sure they'll be glad to accomodate you in any way. That's what I did.

No one will do your STA-21 package for you, you must make time. Putting together an Officer Package is extremely time consuming but it shows your dedication and desire to be an officer. I created my package while working 16 hour days as a minimum. Also if you can you should try to get your interviews done before you transfer because the selection board members will have of better idea of how well you would do as an officer.

Navy Swimmer02

You guys are very right. Next week I will be at the college office taking clep courses. hopefully that goes well. And I will be scheduling another ACT test aswell, that seems to be my demise. I have taken the test three times and I cant seem to get better than a 22. Any suggestions? I've been studying my ass off too. I just dont feel that I am a very good test taker. we'll see how the next time goes. Hopefully my 3 semsters of College before the Navy will account for something. Thanks for the advice, keep it coming.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
AWguy04 said:
You guys are very right. Next week I will be at the college office taking clep courses. hopefully that goes well. And I will be scheduling another ACT test aswell, that seems to be my demise. I have taken the test three times and I cant seem to get better than a 22. Any suggestions? I've been studying my ass off too. I just dont feel that I am a very good test taker. we'll see how the next time goes. Hopefully my 3 semsters of College before the Navy will account for something. Thanks for the advice, keep it coming.
On Testing:

If concentration and fatigue are getting to you, Red Bull before and sometime in the middle of the test has helped me in the past.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
No kidding. I didn't know you were a fellow VP guy.

Brett

The orders were for Flight Engineer training...Never flew in a P-3...

Country Boy

Proud Father
AWguy04 said:
We had something on our LAN called ACT TestPrep. I can't remember the exact name of it, but it allowed you take a couple of practice tests exactly like the ACT. It raised my score substantially (It had been four years since I had even seen a standardized test with English on it). I'd recommend that or something like it, there's a bunch out there. As far as test-taking, just get a good night's sleep and be relaxed, and practice (tests) make perfect.

KimberlyD

Check w/ Navy College, the location here in Norfolk maintains an SAT/ACT prep course that can assist you not only in the studying portion of bringing up your score but they are able to advise you on how to improve your test taking skills.

Navy Swimmer02

yeah, i took some tests at the Navy College Office to see where I was at and they said that I need to CLEP out of as many things as possible. The College Office here in JAX does offer a SAT/ ACT course however you have to route a request through VP-30 and they dont approve anything like that while you are at the command. However, I have already graduated and am just sitting around on TAD for the next month. So I am trying to get as much of my package takin care of within this time frame.

KimberlyD

This might be a long shot but call the local HS, they can sometimes give you the contact info for a prep course, you would have to pay for it but you wouldn't have to route a request to take it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get the current STA-21 instruction and Read it, then re-read it, and then re-read it again. Then follow the step by step proceedure to gather all the required info for your package. I'm not sure why they told you to CLEP course before taking your test....It might increase your scores, but I belive that using a study program like kaplan will help you pass the SAT/ACT test with a decent score.

Run your chit...Walk it through if you need to....I can tell you that if you don't run a chit, then you know that the answer is NO. If you have to PAY for the prep course yourself.

ea6bflyr

LoneSailor

Yes, buying a study guide will help you. KAPLAN has great publications, I found the CD-Rom more helpful than the book. Luckily I bought it (along with my laptop) before I deployed. If you have a problem with the ACT, you might want to look at the SAT. I had the same problem, for some reason I couldn't score as high on the ACT than the SAT. In the end I got a 1350+ combined math/english score on my SAT.

Take it one day at a time. Even if you are very busy, scheduling what needs to be done for your package helps. Take it one step at a time, one thing at a time. You still have a lot of time for FY '07. FY '06 is closed. Use this time wisely.

Don't let anything get in your way, even if your command won't approve your chit I would suggest using your off-time studying. Go to your local bookstore/walmart/NEX and look for study guides. Good luck.