• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Status after swearing in?

PJ81

FS SNA
Just curious. Where do you fall in category wise after you swear in, but before OCS? Some sort of inactive status?

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
In BDCP you are paid at E-5 after graduation and before OCS but your rank is is considered OCSN. I would imagine your rank would be the same for straight OCS just without a pay grade until you get there. I do also know you will be paid as a E-5 while at OCS.

However, I know next to nothing. This is just what i've learned from reading.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
In BDCP you are paid at E-5 after graduation and before OCS but your rank is is considered OCSN. I would imagine your rank would be the same for straight OCS just without a pay grade until you get there. I do also know you will be paid as a E-5 while at OCS.

However, I know next to nothing. This is just what i've learned from reading.

The "rank" OCSN becomes OCPO2 upon graduation in the BDCP program.

You're just putting OC for Officer Candidate in front of the rank that corresponds with your paygrade.

navy09

None
The "rank" OCSN becomes OCPO2 upon graduation in the BDCP program.

You're just putting OC for Officer Candidate in front of the rank that corresponds with your paygrade.

Technically, you'd abbreviate that OC2, though I'm not sure OC is a real rate.

PJ81

FS SNA
You are an inactive reservist.

Thanks....this is exactly what I was looking for. Makes a lot more sense now. I was just wondering how you'd be in the military without adding time in service, getting paid or accruing leave.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You are an inactive reservist.

I think technically this is accurate, although you're not "really" in any sort of service, because your date of entry into service is the day you report to OCS. I was BDCP and not OCS, so I can't be certain, but I believe the OCS guys don't start time in service until OCS and therefore can't get IDs, can't use military privileges etc until OCS.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I think technically this is accurate, although you're not "really" in any sort of service, because your date of entry into service is the day you report to OCS. I was BDCP and not OCS, so I can't be certain, but I believe the OCS guys don't start time in service until OCS and therefore can't get IDs, can't use military privileges etc until OCS.

I did OCS without BDCP, and you're considered active duty from the day you leave home to go to OCS. So going from CA to RI will get you a couple extra days pay than say, someone going from CT.

They don't actually figure this from the day you literally left for OCS, rather they count back travel days allowed from your OCS start date...so if you Fly from CA, your pay entry date will be later than if you drove. Make sense? No? Good.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I did OCS without BDCP, and you're considered active duty from the day you leave home to go to OCS. So going from CA to RI will get you a couple extra days pay than say, someone going from CT.

They don't actually figure this from the day you literally left for OCS, rather they count back travel days allowed from your OCS start date...so if you Fly from CA, your pay entry date will be later than if you drove. Make sense? No? Good.

Ya, I'm tracking now. Thanks. I can now answer a buddy's question who is headed to OCS. Either way, you're time in service doesn't start until you're at OCS (from a practical standpoint), it just gets "backdated" once you're there. So for all intents and purposes, you can't take advantage of any active duty benefits until at OCS?

Does the question make any sense? No? Good. ;)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Read a contract. You enlist in the Naval Reserve in an inactive status.

The rest of the stuff you've mentioned is all admin stuff spelled out in various laws, regulations and instructions.

BTW, while you do not accure any time in service, I believe your PEBD (pay entry base date) is the day you sign your OCS contract / enlist in the reserves (it was in my day) which means you get the pay bumps quicker.