• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Steve Jobs is dead.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I used to balk at Macs...until I bought one. I had a basic Windows based laptop on my first expenses paid trip to Afghanistan that probably cost me twice what I paid for it in both frustration, and beer for the data guys/gals to unfuck it on a constant basis. After that, I decided that I'd had enough, and bought MacBook Pro #1. On my subsequent vacation to OEF, the MBP went with me, and was thrown out the back of a Shitter trying to bug out of an LZ, blown up in the back of an MATV during an IED strike, and was choked with about a pound of dust when I finally got around to cleaning it out. It's dented, scratched, and there's one pixel that seems to be permanently bright pink, but it never hiccuped once. My wife still uses it.

And then there's this Richard Stahlman guy: "As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, 'I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone.' Nobody deserves to have to die – not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on people's computing."

Pugs

Back from the range
None
And then there's this Richard Stahlman guy: "As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, 'I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone.' Nobody deserves to have to die – not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on people's computing."

He's another old hippie who thinks all software should be free and open and people should be paid what they need not to their value so it's no surprise that he hates people who work hard and want to be recognized financially for that hard work. Bet he's marching on Wall Street this week.

phrogpilot73

He's another old hippie who thinks all software should be free and open and people should be paid what they need not to their value so it's no surprise that he hates people who work hard and want to be recognized financially for that hard work. Bet he's marching on Wall Street this week.
I think that all software should be open source. Not free, but open source. Why? So adpet programmers/owners can add plug-ins, tweak the software for themselves, etc... I know it will never happen, but I can dream. Oh, no - I don't have to. I use all open source on my new convertible tablet...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I think that all software should be open source. Not free, but open source. Why? So adpet programmers/owners can add plug-ins, tweak the software for themselves, etc... I know it will never happen, but I can dream. Oh, no - I don't have to. I use all open source on my new convertible tablet...

There is certainly a place for FOSS and if people like it and use it then the proprietary software business will die but don't tell me I can't protect my IP. RedHat and Citrix are doing well at a bifurcated software model with Linux and Xen respectively but they also have secret sauce they had to the purchased products that adds value and they get to keep there work hidden imo.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used to balk at Macs...until I bought one. I had a basic Windows based laptop on my first expenses paid trip to Afghanistan that probably cost me twice what I paid for it in both frustration, and beer for the data guys/gals to unfuck it on a constant basis. After that, I decided that I'd had enough, and bought MacBook Pro #1. On my subsequent vacation to OEF, the MBP went with me, and was thrown out the back of a Shitter trying to bug out of an LZ, blown up in the back of an MATV during an IED strike, and was choked with about a pound of dust when I finally got around to cleaning it out. It's dented, scratched, and there's one pixel that seems to be permanently bright pink, but it never hiccuped once. My wife still uses it.

You could probably sell that story to Apple's ad guys.

Brett

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
^Nope. I tried.

When I got home last year, I had bought another laptop, and my wife wanted to use the old one. I sent it to Apple to be repaired, and they called me about two days later. The AppleCare program does not, it seems, cover 'accidental impact damage'. I told them that it wasn't exactly accidental, seeing as how someone had been intentionally shooting at/trying to blow us up. That was an...interesting conversation with the customer service types, who clearly could not conceptualize WTF I was talking about.

So much for AppleCare. More like, "Fuck you, we DON'T care," if you ask me. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

But I'll still probably buy another one when the MacBook Pro I'm typing this on goes kaput. I'm hooked.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Open source is cool and all, but theres something to be said for the "too may cooks in the kitchen". Tech has reached a point where it needs to become less complicated to become more prevalent. Apple figured this out. Hell, my four year old nephew can FaceTime me from an iPad. Thats the kind of next level shit that you only see in movies.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'll see your 4yr old, and raise you one 2yr old offspring: My daughter plays angry birds.

ETA: Hit post before I finished... Anyway, there's something strikingly intuitive about the iOS interface. I have yet to meet a child who couldn't figure it out in just a few minutes. And maybe that right there is one of Mr. Jobs' legacies.

Random8145

Contributor
I know this is a bit late, but just wanted to add this, but another heavy influence on the design of the Apple products was Dieter Rams, the German industrial designer, who was a huge influence on Apple's Senior Vice President of Industrial Design, Johnathan Ive. If you look at Rams's designs for consumer products from decades ago, they look very similar to Apple products (although really the reverse is what holds).

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I know this is a bit late, but just wanted to add this, but another heavy influence on the design of the Apple products was Dieter Rams, the German industrial designer, who was a huge influence on Apple's Senior Vice President of Industrial Design, Johnathan Ive. If you look at Rams's designs for consumer products from decades ago, they look very similar to Apple products (although really the reverse is what holds).

But Rams didn't work for Apple or directly on the design of any Mac products. His influence rests on his being a respected industrial designer who published his list of ten criteria for successful industrial designs. Ive and Jobs just both happened to read his book and take it on board.

It's like giving Admiral Hopper credit for iOS. Sure, there's a connection, but. . .