• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid days...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So...the title kind of says it all...What makes you have those days when your SA goes to zippo, you trip over your own feet, miss checklist items and generally make your 2P or copilot (or IP) earn his money?

Needless to say, I had one today and made a dumb mistake...safe, no injury to aircraft, others or self but....one of those things that makes you look like a goober. I then proceeded to drive home and catch myself throwing my dog tags away, and keeping my empty soda can for later...you get my point? I had tons of sleep last night, exercised normally, ate...

Thoughts?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Just put it behind you and don't beat yourself up over it. Learn from it and improve. I'd definitely say everyone of us have been there one day or another... I know I have.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Yeah I agree, sometimes bad days just happen. Just remember that we're here to learn to fly, and often learning means making mistakes (just not REALLY big ones). Sh!t happens, so learn from it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So...the title kind of says it all...What makes you have those days when your SA goes to zippo, you trip over your own feet, miss checklist items and generally make your 2P or copilot (or IP) earn his money?

Needless to say, I had one today and made a dumb mistake...safe, no injury to aircraft, others or self but....one of those things that makes you look like a goober. I then proceeded to drive home and catch myself throwing my dog tags away, and keeping my empty soda can for later...you get my point? I had tons of sleep last night, exercised normally, ate...

Thoughts?

It's called life and it happens to the best of us. Take on any lessons learned then press on forward.

Brett

badger16

None
yeah man just stay positive and learn from it ...every now and again you have bad days but you just got to rebound...good luck to you.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...thanks for the encouragement guys...know I've gotta take what I can from it and move on but...what I was really getting at was this question...

Any pet theories on why those days happen? Today seems awfully hard to explain to me but sure enough I had the SA of a toad...:D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any pet theories on why those days happen? Today seems awfully hard to explain to me but sure enough I had the SA of a toad...:D

How about superstring theory? For some questions, there just isn't a good explanation.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about superstring theory?

I think that about covers it. You will have days, months and years which are better than others. It's life. The good side is, if you are motivated and usually do well, then people will be more likely to say that it's just an off day. That's better than them rolling their eyes and thinking "there he goes again . . ." Just figure out what you did wrong and don't make the same mistake twice in a row.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, if you're normally an above average student, when you have those off days, and EVERYONE does, it'll be chalked up to "You're better than this, it must be just a bad day".

jpm269

pilot
Scoober78. It's funny that you started this thread. I went flying today and from chocks to chocks, I could not get my head into the game. It seemed like I made mistake after mistake and not the ones everyone makes, but the ones that you make on your first flight in Primary. As much as I tried to shake it off, I would do something else stupid. My peeps really earned his money tonight. Like everyone else has said, just learn from those mistakes and hopefully everyone in my squadron doesnt think I am a loser.

I have tried to evaluate my routine today and see what factors lead to myself having one of the worst days in the air. For todays flight, I came up with being scheduled the night before, being delayed due to maintenance, horrible weather, flying with my PPC for the first time trying to make a good impression, changing my daily routine before heading into work and not having that solid hour before preflight to get my head into the game.

With all of the factors today, I think what really caused me to have a bad day was not chair flying or having a POA for my flight tonight. I knew where we were heading on our DFW what kind of approaches we would be doing and the general sequence of events. I should have came up with a POA for the approaches so I didnt look like an idiot and I even should have chair flown the pattern so I didnt look like an idiot. Even though I have done these approaches many times and flew countless turns in the pattern, I think I got a little complacent and assumed I knew what I was supposed to do. For the most part I do, I just think that I should brush up on the basics every once in a while. So to answer your question, today my SA went to zippo because I didn't brush up on the basics and have a POA.
R/
brand new 3P

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Less than 250 hours in type.

I'm sure you're being facetious, but to clarify; I've seen guys with 3000 hours in type make the same mistakes scoober is talking about. No one is immune.

One of my favorite cliches: "There is no such thing as a perfect flight." Mistakes are mistakes, big and small. Maybe you jack up a brief, maybe you miss a checklist item, maybe it's as small as stepping on a radio call. How you react to an error (yours or someone else's: crewmember, other aircraft, ATC) is just as important as preventing one.

Bottom line, think it over, react and adapt, press on. It will happen again. The real issue is learning to recognize it, deal with it ASAP (preferably while still inflight), and keep going. Big picture, big picture, big picture.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Sometimes it's you, bad luck, or even your instuctor. Everyone tells you to put bad days behind you, but every time it happens, it only gets harder and harder to do. If you're feeling beat down, just remember that it's happening to other guys too, whether they show it or not.

By the way, do your best to leave that trash at work. Sucking at work makes you feel like a poor excuse for a pilot, but letting it screw up your home life will make you feel like a poor excuse for a man, and that certainly won't help your performance in the sim/plane. Don't let them get you where you live. Once again, easier said than done. . .

good luck