• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

markkyle66

Once upon a time, helmets were painted and many went outside the system to get form fit protection helmets when the system had lesser quality helmets. It was not uncommon to see fancy/custom metalflake helmets that aviators would drop big money on. Then came better helmets with poured liners and eventually better pads as well as regs on covering helmet with reflective tape. I suspect what you think looks like paint is actually reflective tape.

Sir, here's a pretty cool example of the older-style painted helmet. This one in paticular belonged to Adm. Anderson. I took this one a while back at the museum in Pensacola. I believe there was a VF-84 one next to it with the metal flake you mentioned.

To piggy back on the previous question, under what circumstances could aviators get their helmets painted in the good 'ol days?

DSC00647.jpg

B

Blutonski816

^man... a whale dropping a nuke on his helmet... what a way to have a sense of humor about the job.

somehow methinks that in the "kinder, gentler Navy" such things would be deemed inappropriate... :(

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Once upon a time, helmets were painted and many went outside the system to get form fit protection helmets when the system had lesser quality helmets. It was not uncommon to see fancy/custom metalflake helmets that aviators would drop big money on. Then came ..... regs on covering helmet with reflective tape. I suspect what you think looks like paint is actually reflective tape.
Roger that -- paint/single visor -- then had to go to tape/double visor -- then got my own and did it my way ... and the rest of the squadron followed suit -- much to the dismay of the paraloft. :D

One squadron; one example of the evolutionary process:

dsc01941smallso2.jpg
dsc01888mi8.jpg
dsc01916smallpaintuk8.jpg
dsc00691ie1.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Touche :D

Actually I was thinking the other day after reading the "downing of an F-117" sticky article, how some of the survival/equipment stuff they go over in API sort of goes in one ear and out the other (at least it did for me). We go over NATOPS/EP's all the time, but I can't think of a single time in primary where we have talked about anything beyond "D-ring Pull", or "Aircraft evacuate, LPU inflate when clear". Not that it should need to be a briefing item to warrant consideration, but there is very little emphasis placed on this important bit of general knowledge. To the primary studs, can you w/o looking, pull out your survival knife from the correct pocket? It is maybe a little bit embarrassing (since we all place such emphasis on knowing procedures, EP's, limitations, maneuvers, etc) especially being so simple, but I honestly couldn't (at least w/o fumbling through a couple pockets until I found it) until a couple weeks ago when I made it a point to memorize the locations of everything.....this being several months into flying. I'm sure some folks are more survival oriented than I had been, but it would not surprise me if there are many out there who aren't.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
One of my last flights before solo, I remember talking about the survival vest. What frequencies does the PRC-90 use? What things have the yellow tabs? etc.

I thought it was briefing item, but maybe it was just my onwing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Obviously it's a good idea to learn that stuff, even in the Weiner, but it also helps to have been wearing the gear for a while. Depending on your future community, you might get asked that stuff on a Natops check, plus you'll get quarterly training, and most importantly, be flying in the gear all the time.

In the T-34, I knew where the shroud cutter and radio was, but the other stuff I couldn't tell you w/out having the gear on. But if I put my hand on it, I knew exactly what was in the pocket. The helo has more junk in there, so it's more important to know what you're reaching for.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
243.0 and 282.8. Not sure if it uses 121.5. Don't think so.

Not the PRC-90. UHF only. I always taught my onwings on FAM 0 about how to rig the radio up in the cockpit. They probably retained about 10% of it at the time, but at least I showed the pieces and how to assemble it so they saw it at least once.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
You know, I have flown with that PRC-90 almost a hundred times now and have never opened that little black pouch. I always figured it was pretty easy. Just snap it onto the radio and put it in your ear. I am going to look at it next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.