• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
*Is it possible to snag an arresting wire while still airborne?

*Do hornet pilots carry a sidearm when they fly into a combat zone?

*Are Navy squadrons ever deployed to an airbase in a combat zone, for example Asad or Bagram?

This is not the 20 questions website.

The next time you post more ridiculous, juvenile questions that can/could/will be answered in any of 1000 other venues ... I'm gonna ban your post-pubescent little ass.

Do some stupid study on your own. It's for your own good.

Capiche ???
:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
*blah, blah, blah .... ? (TEEHEE)

You just played Russian Roulette ... and lost.

russian-roulette.jpg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I may just be slow, but does "NORDO" stand for no radio? If not, what does it stand for? Curious minds want to know.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Re: the way-back question about using survival gear in the TRACOM. I was stashed at P'cola SAR before API and was riding along in the H-3 when a Milton instructor jumped from his T-34 in the wilds of LA. He was fine - landed amongst the piney woods - but didn't want to use his flares or smokes because the pines were bone-dry. Wound up doing a mark-on-top for the SAR helo and got hoisted out between the trees. Cool stuff to see for a wide-eyed young Enswine.

Also educational was the effing flying circus overhead with H-57s nearly smacking into the trees trying to pick him up and T-34 instructors arguing over who was senior and thus OSC.

Rule #1 in any emergency: don't make things worse trying to be a hero.

phrogpilot73

Also educational was the effing flying circus overhead with H-57s nearly smacking into the trees trying to pick him up and T-34 instructors arguing over who was senior and thus OSC.
Weird. I always heard in briefed in helo land that first on scene was the OSC, and would remain the OSC until bingo, emergency, or relieved by a more capable platform. No mention of seniority...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Weird. I always heard in briefed in helo land that first on scene was the OSC, and would remain the OSC until bingo, emergency, or relieved by a more capable platform. No mention of seniority...

It's assuming that everybody's already "on scene" and has about equal gas and capabilities. Maybe it's a tailhook thing...we briefed that way for large-force strikes and such. I just always figured it was wrote that way so CAG could stick around and be HMFWIC for the SAR.

The H-57 dudes were trying to squeeze between the pines and get the grab. What's the damn rush? He's not hurt, he's only in danger from the hillbillies, and he had an H-3 SAR bird 15 minutes out with a Coastie Jayhawk following.

Everybody wants to help, but they were lucky they didn't turn a tree into toothpicks in the meantime.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Example would be a 4 ship, one went down ... the senior man would have OSC ... he would stay until relieved by a more capable airframe, bingo, or emergency of his own.

S/F

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Stupid bag / nomex jacket question:

Every officer I've seen in a flight suit has worn rank insignia on the shoulder. Normal. Now, does this apply to the nomex jacket as well? I think I've accidentally blown off a few officers who lacked the shoulder insignia. Is shoulder rank insignia usually worn on the nomex jacket or is it a matter of personal preference?

phrogpilot73

Example would be a 4 ship, one went down ... the senior man would have OSC ... he would stay until relieved by a more capable airframe, bingo, or emergency of his own.

S/F
Then again, even this isn't hard and fast. Under one CO, we briefed date of rank type seniority. Under another one, we briefed flight leadership seniority.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Then again, even this isn't hard and fast. Under one CO, we briefed date of rank type seniority. Under another one, we briefed flight leadership seniority.

WE would brief it prior to flight, but we used to make a "real world" judgment call on scene, based on current fuel onboard, experience, and demonstrated past headwork of the players available at the time ... as what if your "briefed" OSC was the guy who got bagged ... ??? Egos and/or seniority played into the final OSC call very, very little ... and no one "argued".

The object of the exercise was to rescue our downed Amigo. We tried to keep that in focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.