• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

highside7r

None
Prowler guys, just some basic ?'s:
Typical loadout, 2 tanks-3 pods?
Watching some vids around the boat, half flaps on the cat shot?
Are all stations "plumbed" for tanks?

Thanks

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends. I don't know how much more detail would be unclassified WRT mission planning especially in today's environment. ECMOs? Anyhow, the RAG usually uses 2 pods, 3 drops.
Technically, there is no such animal as "half flaps." 20 degrees, 30 degrees, and up. But yes. 20 degrees on the cat and for landing at the boat. 30 degrees at the field unless the wind kicks up during FCLPs and Paddles tells everyone to go flaps 20.

Takeoff default is flaps 30. You can go to 20 if you want as long as certain SOP conditions are met regarding runway length, temperature, etc. Flaps 20 gives you better single engine performance should you lose one on rotation. Flaps 30 gives you better abort numbers. It's a standing debate in the community as to which is better and really devolves into how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. i.e. it's personal preference as long as you're within SOP and NATOPS and have an intelligent reason.
Yes.

nugget61

pilot
Yeah, you can take the MEPS vision exam, but it's a bit more difficult...especially the part where they make you bend forward and look all the way up your own asshole. If you can see what you ate 3 days prior, you're good to go.

FWIW, the AF ain't gonna be any easier.

Thanks, I'm researching into that now. But I thought the AF is 20/70 uncorrected?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Thanks

"Typical" operational configuration is 3 pods, 2 drops, but you'll oftentimes trade one of those drops for a HARM or another pod - depends on mission requirements.

Brett

nugget61

pilot
I know this is an insanely noob question, but what do carrier pilots do (responsibilities) when they're not on a tour?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I know this is an insanely noob question, but what do carrier pilots do (responsibilities) when they're not on a tour?

ride motorcycles, pump fists, nail blondes with antique cars, and gain carnal knowledge of ladies on the premises of wherever they are at.

nugget61

pilot
ride motorcycles, pump fists, nail blondes with antique cars, and gain carnal knowledge of ladies on the premises of wherever they are at.

No volleyball? Damnit.

In all seriousness though... what the hell do they have to do?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Yeah, right. Truthfully, most of them are utter and complete dorks who marry the first piece of ass who shows them their vagina, then pathetically phone musters every five minutes every second they're away from home. Result: bad divorce by age 28.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... Result: bad divorce by age 28....
Naaaaaaa ... the guys who are made of stouter stuff go to 29 years "total service" and endure until they're well into an airline pilot career -- you know; so they will have more community assets to divvie-up w/ the soon-to-be-former Mrs....

Believe it. :)

MasterBates

Yeah, right. Truthfully, most of them are utter and complete dorks who marry the first piece of ass who shows them their vagina, then pathetically phone musters every five minutes every second they're away from home. Result: bad divorce by age 28.

Brett

Apparently this applies to helo turned E2/C2 pilots as well.

Or is that just me?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Apparently this applies to helo turned E2/C2 pilots as well.

Or is that just me?
For you, I think that description would be the Reader's Digest version of the Cliff's Notes of the Executive Summary of your marriage.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Stolen from other thread...

Scoob said:
Nope, just an a no shit, actual Navy job on the forward end. DIFDEN, though. :(

"DIFDEN: Duty In A Flying Status Not Involving Flying"

What the hell does that mean?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Stolen from other thread...

"DIFDEN: Duty In A Flying Status Not Involving Flying"

What the hell does that mean?
It means I will be fullfilling my duty which does not involve flying, while still remaining in a flying status.

(No flying, just flight pay....and lots of shoes bitching about it.:D)

Status
Not open for further replies.