• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SU-30 High AOA Video

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Video

Video of a Sukhoi flying some high AOA. How do the engines not stall? It is pretty amazing.

I was thinking this would be a hard airplane to engage in a dogfight, but with the new aim-9x and with his speed at nil, I don't think it is too useful.....thoughts?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Some of that is along the same lines as their "Cobra" maneuver. Sure it looks pretty at an airshow, however bleeding all your speed off in a single maneuver like that eliminates all your energy...which will get your killed very fast. I think the radius of turn on that plane is badass along with the ability to fly almost sideways to engage a target, which would be the big benefits there. Although after doing some reading, it appears that only the "civilian" test pilot can make it fly like that. The Navy has actually had a few test planes for all of the design concepts the 30 incorporates, so its not stuff we dont already know about.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
HighDimension said:
I haven't taken any aerodynamics classes or anything so could you explain how the engines would stall?

Its all about disruption of airflow into the engines. Engines running at high power like to see a smooth straight flow of air. High angles of attack disrupt this and cause turbulence. However there are ways of altering the intake to account for changes in AoA. Some designs included variable intake geometry, (though this is usually reserved for high speed supersonic flight), creating a seperate intake route on the top of the fuselage, etc. Actually very high AoA isnt as bad for an engine as negative AoA where the upper fuselage and wing can actually block airflow into an engine.

Benson

That video is awesome! :) Although are all those maneuvers truely practical in todays Air-to-Air engagements that are mostly beyond visual range?... dunno

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
lowflier03 said:
Its all about disruption of airflow into the engines. Engines running at high power like to see a smooth straight flow of air. High angles of attack disrupt this and cause turbulence. However there are ways of altering the intake to account for changes in AoA. Some designs included variable intake geometry, (though this is usually reserved for high speed supersonic flight), creating a seperate intake route on the top of the fuselage, etc. Actually very high AoA isnt as bad for an engine as negative AoA where the upper fuselage and wing can actually block airflow into an engine.

awesome, that clears it up! thanks!

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
lowflier03 said:
Some of that is along the same lines as their "Cobra" maneuver. Sure it looks pretty at an airshow, however bleeding all your speed off in a single maneuver like that eliminates all your energy...which will get your killed very fast.

Occasionally you get into slow BFM, which is when the high AOA becomes very handy. Faster isn't always better. And with the thrust to weight, they aren't that worried about bleeding down.:icon_smil

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
pilot_man said:
Occasionally you get into slow BFM, which is when the high AOA becomes very handy. Faster isn't always better. And with the thrust to weight, they aren't that worried about bleeding down.:icon_smil
Really? Why? (not calling out, just asking)

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Once you get into the merge, you will eventually have to bleed off energy. It pays to have a jet that can handle itself well in a slow engagement because if it can't, charlie's gonna have a good day.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When the manuvers you see are performed engines are most likely at idle. Thus a significantly lower chance of a compressor stall. If he kept the power up the jet would just climp up into a loop.

He add power as thenose falls and engines spool up as it comes back to the relative wind. And flies away. There is loss of altitude, just hard to see at this aspect.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
Another 'knowledges' thread. Awesome.
Yeah, while flying around like that is "neat-o," I'd like to see the tactics they've developed to put those capes to use. My bet is that at this point, their bark is worse than their bite.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
no real tactical employment..great airshow demo to sell the jets.