• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SU-30 High AOA Video

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
:icon_lol: There's one from the AW vaults!

Ah, the memories...
I'm guilty of using "knowledges" in conversation with my fellow aviators. Is it still an inside joke if only one person knows? :D

Brett

B

Blutonski816

LMFAO...

I was gonna give squeeze points for bringing up "knowledges"....
but I still need to spread some rep points around....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
Video

Video of a Sukhoi flying some high AOA. How do the engines not stall? It is pretty amazing.

I was thinking this would be a hard airplane to engage in a dogfight, but with the new aim-9x and with his speed at nil, I don't think it is too useful.....thoughts?

Airshow stunt (like Harriers sold their VIFF capability). Want to park yourself in the sky like a grape...go ahead

Maybe useful in horizontal scissors to spit out your opponent but you better be the only two guys in the sky or you're ripe for plucking....speed is life

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Benson said:
That video is awesome! :) Although are all those maneuvers truely practical in todays Air-to-Air engagements that are mostly beyond visual range?... dunno

Answer....no

In BVR, you have relative luxury of time (60 seconds to conclude a medium range encounter) and your head is likely in the cockpit looking at a MFD..maneuvering is mild initially..notching is about a sdramatic as you get

In WVR...time compresses and your should be belly checking and making directional changes every 6-9 seconds...manuevers are designed to get you in a "control" position where you are threatening your opponent and not being threatened (although "they" test-fired a rearwards firing AA-11 that would make you rethink the classic six o'clock position

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Airshow stunt (like Harriers sold their VIFF capability). Want to park yourself in the sky like a grape...go ahead

Maybe useful in horizontal scissors to spit out your opponent but you better be the only two guys in the sky or you're ripe for plucking....speed is life
Amen!

Brett

ELCID05

What countries have this aircraft now? Is Russia just offering it up to anyone who is willing to swllow the expense?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Airshow stunt (like Harriers sold their VIFF capability).

No one sold the Harrier based on the "VIFF"ing thing.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I came in on this psedo-ACM thread kinda' late --- been watching football, swilling expensive whiskey and rum and lattes, and eating chili ....

After reading the previous posts and then watching 1:00 of the 3:06 video clip ---- and shutting it down --- Let me be clear:

THERE IS NOTHING TO BE GAINED IN THE ACM ARENA FROM A "TACTIC" LIKE THIS ROOSKIE "STUNT" portrays --- THE ONE THAT SOME OF YOU ARE HAVING AN ORGASM OVER !!!

Are We Clear ??? Crystal ??? :) ... I love Tommy Cruise ... sometimes ... even though he's a lousy actor ... and even if he is very strange in real life and unbelievably short.

If all my air-to-air Adversary opponents had used such "tactics" ... I would have "won" every engagement. The guy was "out of control" ... like a seed off a maple tree ... a death spiral. A stunt.

We used to joke about the A-7 in ACM ... the guys tried, but that sorry, sorry excuse for an F-8 --- that same A-7 which was a great day, VFR system dive bomber --- used to regularly depart when attempting to fight. I/we would just slowly spiral down over him ..... making sure he was O.K. .... munching on a candy bar .... sipping a bottle of H2O .... maybe smoking a cigarette ... whistling a little tune ..... while waiting for the hapless Corsair II driver to recover --- then we'd shoot him.

Guns kill. :)

Game ... set .... match. Have a nice day ....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
No one sold the Harrier based on the "VIFF"ing thing.

The Marines didn't, but the Brits sure did before the Marines bought in....
before your time perhaps?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whalebite said:
Threadjack: Are the russians, or anyone else for that matter developing stealth aircraft?

Rafale is mighty proud of their signature reduction....

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
The Marines didn't, but the Brits sure did before the Marines bought in....
before your time perhaps?

True, the Brits used/use it rather differently than us, but I made the assumption that we were talking US here.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier VIFF tactic

squeeze said:
True, the Brits used/use it rather differently than us, but I made the assumption that we were talking US here.

Engaged 4 Sea Harriers with 2 Tomcats in 1985 off Oceana (HMS Invincible was visiting Norfolk). For some reason they all ended up line astern port turn following each in same plane like they wanted us in a Lubery Circle (MiG-17 tactic over North Vietnam), but they only had 1/3 of a circle so we rolled on dash last to close to guns and he did the VIFF move we were wary of. He literally stopped in flight, but fell off as we simply went upstairs in a high yo-yo and then rolled inverted at the apex to pull through to a nice Sidewinder shot as they then scattered in different directions. Nice debrief later on their ship....Brit and French carriers have it so right with adult beverages for visitors....makes for great debrief and making of new friends