• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Subic Bay/Cubi Point Pt. then and now

phrogpilot73

The Chief said:
A friend shared this with me and thought some of you "older members" (relative term) would enjoy the then and now photos of that great U. S. Naval Base, Subic Bay, RP and Cubi Pt. In 1992 after SOFA negotiations failed, for a number of reasons, we pulled out of Subic Bay and turned it over to the Philippine Government. Enjoy! :icon_smil

http://www.gdhs.org/treasure/photos/sego/sego.htm
Forwarding that link to my Dad... 29 years in the Navy, and most of the stories about Vietnam involve getting there via the Phillipines! :) Thanks, I'm sure he'll love it!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"Car Coming Kalaya-a-a-a-an, Come In ..... " (Those of you who have "been there" will understand the reference :) )....

Chief, Chief, Chief .... I am just in an absolute state of bliss. Thank you for the link --- rep points for you if this Nazi-like system would let me. I am going to cry for a little while --- tears of joy; squeeze some limes:icon_rast , and go through the whole website --- looks good at first glance, though. A trip down memory lane, or what ???

I noticed there's still a small pile of my brain cells still lying next to the Subic O'Club veranda .... nice touch. :icon_rast

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A4sForever said:
[size=3 I noticed there's still a small pile of my brain cells still lying next to the Subic O'Club veranda .... nice touch. :icon_rast[/b]

And the best "Stingers" in the world at the CPO Club. A week on Grande Island during C7F Scheduling Conferences.

And; Cubi Pt saved our bacon more than once, what a wonderful sight when 2 and 3 both feathered.

And: Sorry, Scott, you have SP duty at the bridge outside the gate. But Chief, last time the Merchant Marine sailors beat me up and threw me in the Olongapo River. Well, use your night stick next time. Ahhh the memories.

USN99

USN99
None
Memory bank

And the name of the place at Subic, not far from or adjacent to the Subic O'Club where the Phillipine Country & Western band played? Was it the "Chuck Wagon"? Does anyone recall?

FYI- I don't necessarily like C or W music. However, that band was startling in how much like a U.S. C&W band is sounded. Or was it the booze? :icon_smil

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
WOW! Awesome pictures. Makes me miss the PI even more. I plan on visiting this xmas and visiting the American cemetery in Manila plus a number of other places. Again, these were some great pictures. I wish the base had stayed opened longer but what can ya do. Plus, had it not been for Subic Bay, many of my friends would have never been born! (yes...i have a plethra of half white/ half filipino friends, including my gf :eek: )

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
USN99 said:
And the name of the place at Subic, not far from or adjacent to the Subic O'Club where the Phillipine Country & Western band played? Was it the "Chuck Wagon"? Does anyone recall? FYI- I don't necessarily like C or W music. However, that band was startling in how much like a U.S. C&W band is sounded. Or was it the booze? :icon_smil

After 6+ San Miguels, EVERYONE likes CW bands .... and yes, 99.99% sure it the Subic spot near the O'Club was the "Chuck Wagon" ... if not officially, at least all the guys called it that. Great "after hours" pizzas after a hard night's liberty in the 'PO. :)

A typical Philippine Country-Western band ??? .... MABUHAY !!!
happybirthday5qf.jpg

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What memories...trike races through town, jeepnies, the "Aromatic" River outside the gate...ACM and gun dets out of Cubi, low levels around the island...
25 cent beers...and Ben Martinez handcarved models for $30.
I was there many times, last time on the Lincoln to help evacuate people after Mt Pinatubo blew it's top.

Thanks Chief.

r/
G

USN99

USN99
None
Thanks, amigo

A4sForever said:
.... and yes, 99.99% sure it the Subic spot near the O'Club was the "Chuck Wagon" ... if not officially, at least all the guys called it that.

Thanks, amigo. You have confirmed a fond Vietnam era memory. :D
As the veterans of Napoleon's Grand Armee are saying now, "the snow wasn't so bad, and it was kinda fun camping across Europe with the rest of the guys." :icon_wink

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Holy thread resurrection ... :eek:

Just noticed something the other day that some of you old(er) hands might like to read -- and the younger guys might get a kick out of it, too ... every time I'd drive by CUBI on the descent to Manila over the past many years, I'd give them a call on the radio even though the Navy is no longer operating out of there -- the tower always responded w/ a good attitude and a big "MABUHAY". :)

It's tough to go back to Kansas, Dorothy ... but CUBI was great times and great guys all .... so CUBI still lives. :)

Sea story/CUBI reminiscence from the Skyhawk.org website:
CUBI POINT REVISITED

Time to go squeeze some limes ... :icon_wink

nascubipthg7.jpg

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Did two tours on Midway prior to closing it down. Brought back great memories, thanks! Still gets a smile on my face at the P-cola museum looking through the plaques’ for names and I always get to urge to order a Cubi Special. :tongue2_1

navyao

Ahhh...The PO...Monkey meat, bar fines and the San Miguel squirts! What I wouldn't do to re-live those days. My first bar fine was a raffle I won at an AOA party in the Barrio, a bar owned by a retired AO Chief. Nothing better than being woken up by rooster's in the a.m. I woke up one morning and this LBFM is washing my shirt on a rock by an adjacent stream getting a stain out for me. Her Marine boyfriend was in the field that week, tehehehehe....

Bolter

pilot
Looking at these pictures makes me want to drink a beer with you old salt and hear stories about the days gone by. Cheers.