• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swimming req’s / Learning to swim

Wingnut

Kill your television
Forgive me if I’m getting ahead of myself here, but I was wondering why there aren’t any stickies about swimming and information for anyone who isn’t capable of meeting the swimming requirements. I’m hoping we could put something together here that would answer general questions about what’s required to apply for OCS, ROTC, et al.
First of all, I’m not an expert on swimming or any such thing. I’m actually grew up a borderline aquaphobic and six months ago was capable of little more than survival floating. With that being said, here are the current questions asked on the application for commission regarding swimming ability:

Can you swim 50 yards using the crawl, breast, side, and back strokes?
Can you remain afloat for 5 minutes (prone position) without submerging or grabbing the side of the pool?
Can you jump from a 12-ft platform into a body of water?
Can you tread water?

When I first set about applying to OCS (should know in a couple weeks whether I’ll be recommended for Student Naval Aviator), my recruiter said that it’s best to wait until you can comfortably answer yes to all four questions, even though it’s indicated on the app that you can apply as long as you remedy it. On the first question it’s not clear whether it’s fifty yards each or total, but it’s safe to assume that you will have to demonstrate that you are capable of each stroke, and if you can’t do fifty yards then you probably need to work on that stroke. The prone float might be a problem to someone like me who doesn’t have much buoyancy; I guess I don’t know what exactly they’re looking for there, but I can float on my belly with a lung full of air. The next one is pretty clear. On treading water, there’s no mention of how long; I guess they assume if you’re strong enough to swim you’re strong enough to keep your head above water for a reasonable period.

As I mentioned I had zero real swimming ability not too long ago. I tried working on it on my own, but given that I had no base to work off of, it didn’t go very far and I quickly realized that I’d need the services of a qualified swim instructor. I ended up going to the YMCA and found a good instructor. Looking back on it, I might have been able to do it myself, but it would have been much harder and taken much longer. I’ve had ten half-hour lessons at a cost of $230, and it’s gotten me to to where I need to be. In my experience, I spent an hour or so in the pool for every half-hour lesson. Practice is very important, I often found myself having trouble getting down what the instructor was trying to teach me until I had time to think about it and work on it on my own. I came a long way, my instructor has commented that she was worried about whether it was even doable to begin with. Basically, except for the case of a true aquaphobic or unexpected difficulties picking up on it, the average person will have less work to do than me. If I can do it, you can do it.

Anyway, that’s my experience. Swimming was an issue that could have kept me from applying to the Navy, and when I started I was fearful that I might not be able to overcome it. I hope that no one lets their lack of swimming ability and/or fear of the water keep them from applying for the Navy as it could have done, and probably did for a time, in my case.
Hopefully others who know more than me can add on to this, it’s something that I know I could have used, and I’m sure there are others.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Wingnut said:
Can you remain afloat for 5 minutes (prone position) without submerging or grabbing the side of the pool?
Can you tread water?

There are a couple issues here. If you're going to be SNA or SNFO, you better be able to do better than the bare-ass minimum, because you'll have extra swim classes while at OCS, and you'll have to swim in the training pipeline.

That being said, the third class swim test was:
-50 yards using any stroke.
-Remaining afloat for five wasn't bad, you basically lie face down and come up for air as needed. Repeat for five minutes.
-Can you jump off the platform? If not, have someone push you.

Finally, there was this thing where you had to put on dungarees and blow up your shirt, then use your pants to make a floating device with one of four methods. Again, if you're not an aviator, do one, and you're in the clear. If I recall correctly, the aviators should be able to do all four during those extra swim classes (you know, the time where the non-aviators are back in thier rooms picking thier asses).

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Wingnut- I used to be just like you. I had a fear of swimming after I almost drowned at the base pool when i was 16. With that being said, applying for the aviation community meant knowing how to swim or be proficent enough to pass the regs. I mean, I even failed my 3rd class test. But i was so motivated that i didnt want my inability to swim to cripple my dreams of being a naval officer. So i sucked it up, shallowed a couple cups of pool water, and practiced until i was comfortable enough not to worry about drowning. Thats how bad i wanted to be a NFO and a naval officer. Guys like us have to work twice as hard as the next guy. It really boils down to the "I will never give up" attitude.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Practice, practice, practice....my stash job was at the Deep Water Survival Training (DWEST) center.

Lots of people get a membership and use the UWF pool.

Rather than loll on the beach while stashed or awaiting API, practice your swimming.

Only way to get better is to get wet.

Wingnut

Kill your television
Fezz, that's just it, motivation. Probably part of what made my instructor wonder if I'd make is that she's used to seeing people who want to take a couple lessons and be done with it. I too sucked down plenty of pool water, but you can't let things like that keep you from shooting for your dream. I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I was looking back on my life and I'd never even tried to make the Navy because I wasn't determined enough to confront that old fear. I don't know for sure what the source of my fear was, I do know that my sister had an incident when we were both kids where she could have drowned, and that might have been part of it (in her case water has never been an issue). Really, even if I never make the Navy, I'll always be glad that I went ahead and learned to swim. I don't like to think there's something I'm unwilling to confront, and that's one less thing.

As far as the demands of SNA and SNFO, I've read around and have some idea of what's expected. I will continue to work on swimming, I know that minimum requirements are just that. Heading off under the impression that the minimum swimming requirements were all I needed to worry about would be almost as foolish as thinking that the PRT minimums were all I needed to be good to go for OCS. I'm not taking the easy road with SNA, but I want to fly, and I'm willing to work through the details. And when things get tough, I can just think how glad I am I'm not trying for the SeALs.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Does API still iclude the 'mile swim'? Inquiring minds wish to know....

-and, Schnugg, that F-14 pic is nothing short of awesome... just had to add...

KBayDog

scotty008 said:
Does API still iclude the 'mile swim'? Inquiring minds wish to know....

Sure does. I was sweating it a little bit, since I swim about as well as Kevin Federline (that's K-Fed to you, dawg) practices hygiene. The swim is done in a bag - no other gear. You're supposed to use the breaststroke, sidestroke, or crawl, but as long as you don't touch the bottom of the pool you're good-to-go. The time limit (70 mins?) was more than enough time for a brick like me to Get-R-Done, and I was one of the very last people to finish.

API "swimming" is not too much different from the Marine Corps swim qual, in that it's more about survivability than Olympic-quality form (and it's easier than the Marine qual). The key is to relax, learn the techniques to keep yourself buoyant, and enjoy the time out of the classroom.

KBayDog

Fezz, is your avatar a human representation of a Simpsons character? Either the photo is just a crummy angle, or she's got one heck of an overbite.

ip568

None
You have to be kidding

Can you tread water?

This has to be a joke. We had to swim one mile in full flight gear, jump from a 35-foot platform, drown proof (dead flaot) for 15 minutes, swim 200 yards with the combination strokes, and swim the length of the pool underwater.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
KBayDog said:
Fezz, is your avatar a human representation of a Simpsons character? Either the photo is just a crummy angle, or she's got one heck of an overbite.
Didn't notice her bite structure...

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
KBayDog said:

If you dont know who Catherine Bell is, I pity da foo.

KBayDog

Fezz CB said:
If you dont know who Catherine Bell is, I pity da foo.

Quit yo' jibba'-jabba', or I'll throw ya' helluva far. Foo.

Of course I knew the obvious (who she was); I was just wondering if she was doing a Simpsons impersonation.

Wingnut

Kill your television
ip568 said:
This has to be a joke. We had to swim one mile in full flight gear, jump from a 35-foot platform, drown proof (dead flaot) for 15 minutes, swim 200 yards with the combination strokes, and swim the length of the pool underwater.

That is how the current application for commission reads. They recently changed things around, I think it may correspond with the class II swimming reuirements; I have an older version of the application that mentions swimming underwater, but I don't remember the specifics. Also, if you're headed for pilot of flight officer you have extra work to do. It would suck if you were expecting what's on the application to be all that's required of you. That's on great thing about this forum, you can be better prepared. As always minimums are minimums, and your milage will vary.

By the way, KBayDog, do they let you do any backstroke at API? I can probably go farther faster with back crawl than any other stroke or combination, but I suppose alternating between side stroke and breast or crawl would probably get me through. Also, what are the pools like at API? Maybe I'm just sensitive, but I really get tired of that over-chlorinated smell (I'm hoping they might back off the chlorine considering there aren't any kids making contributions, unlike most public pools).

Aircrew Instruc

None
ip568 said:
Can you tread water?

Ok time to set you straight you do swim a mile in a flight suit, NOT FULL FLIGHT GEAR. You do swim 200 yards with a combination of strokes you tread water in full flight gear for 2 minutes and drown proof for 3 minutes. You do swim under water after jumping off a platform in a flightsuit and boots. You also swim 25 yards breast stroke 25 yards side stroke and 25 yards back stroke in full flight gear. Plus you will do the helo hoist, parachute drag, parachute disentangelment, and helo dunker.