• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swimming req’s / Learning to swim

KBayDog

Wingnut said:
By the way, KBayDog, do they let you do any backstroke at API? I can probably go farther faster with back crawl than any other stroke or combination, but I suppose alternating between side stroke and breast or crawl would probably get me through. Also, what are the pools like at API? Maybe I'm just sensitive, but I really get tired of that over-chlorinated smell (I'm hoping they might back off the chlorine considering there aren't any kids making contributions, unlike most public pools).

No backstroke for the mile swim, unfortunately. I used the side/breast combo with good results.

How are the pools? Fill your bathtub with 10 gallons of bleach, stick your head in it, and then open your eyes.

There are others on this board who are more "API-current;" I went through a year ago (though I'm sure not too much has changed).

Crowbar

None
Wingnut said:
I really get tired of that over-chlorinated smell

Good luck with that! Our whole class reeked of chlorine for the rest of the day when we got out of the pool. Take goggles.

Wingnut

Kill your television
KBayDog said:
How are the pools? Fill your bathtub with 10 gallons of bleach, stick your head in it, and then open your eyes.

Crowbar said:
Good luck with that! Our whole class reeked of chlorine for the rest of the day when we got out of the pool. Take goggles.

It figures. Fotunately I'm not allergic or anything, just annoyed by the smell. That and I don't think it's good for the skin. Anyway, I'm well accustomed to wearing my goggles, and I'll be bringing them if I'm fortunate enough to be selected for SNA. Heck, from where I sit right now, I'd consider it a privilage to swim in a cesspool if it meant I'd have a crack at flying jets.
Should know in a couple weeks: Come on baby, come on!

ander37

K-rock
The API Pool is just like the heated pool you would find at the Y down the street. Only difference is that there are racks of flight gear on the side and bleachers to sit on prior to pool exercises. Oh, and you get ear wash, but watch out, it stings a bit on a freshly shaven face :)

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
My roomate, a soon to be SNFO, swims like a rock... what happens if you cannot pass some aspect of the swim? Is there some type of remedial? We're working to get him up to speed, but there's only so much one can do.

ander37

K-rock
If you fail the swim portion during API, you just get put on swim hold till you pass. I guess there are stories of people being on "swim-hold" for 6 months or more. But once you get the swim down, you are put back in class and move on.
You can fail swim and still stick in API, just don't fail more than 3 tests or you're gone. :(

My suggestion is to tread water in clothes, or even better was that my roommate and I held an orange street cone to our chest with one hand while we treaded for 5 minutes. It is a good simulation of the weight of your gear and boots. :)

The average for the mile swim is 54 to 60 minutes. The breast-stroke is the most commonly used stroke, I did it for all but maybe two of the 36 laps in the pool (72 lengths). You will be swimming with a max of 10 to 12 other people in the room of about 3 lanes. The first 10 laps are the worst, after that it is simply repetition.

Also be able to swim underwater for 3/4 the length of the pool after jumping off the tower. AND DO NOT TOUCH THE BOTTOM IN THE SHALLOW END OF THE POOL, THE INSTRUCTORS DON'T SEE EVERYTHING BUT YOU ARE STILL CHEATING IF NOT SEEN BY THE INSTRUCTORS.:icon_rage

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

Will the instructors allow goggles?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
FMRAM said:
Will the instructors allow goggles?

Yes.

BTW, we have the tower jump and 15yd underwater swim next Tues. Any advice? I always gasp for air as soon as I come back up.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Just grit your teeth and get across the line. You'll feel like you're running out of air because your heart is pounding when you hit the water, so fill your lungs all the way before you hit, and puff out a little bit of air thru your nose every three or four strokes. The hardest part for me was not gouging my eyes out afterward from the chemical sting. I drove home just like a typical Pcola driver because I couldn't see sh!t through my watery eyes.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Fezz CB said:
Yes.

BTW, we have the tower jump and 15yd underwater swim next Tues. Any advice? I always gasp for air as soon as I come back up.
Yeah... when it feels like you're gonna gasp for air underwater, let a small amount of air out.

Try to step out a little off of the platform

Keep a nose-low attitude underwater, belly scraping the bottom of the pool if you have to.

Other than that.. mind over matter man. Just gut it out.

usnphoenix

Remove before flight
pilot
Chill out on the tower, take a big step off and inhale on the way down. The biggest thing is to tell yourself you will either make it to the line or they will be dragging your unconscious body out of the pool. The tower swim is nothing but a mental game. I had a hard time at first but once I realized it was nothing but a mental game it was easy.

ander37

K-rock
I also kinda freaked on the practice jump and ended up not making it, but then I realized it was mental, as phoenix said, and it was no big deal after that.
Just breath deep, step off, and swim, you'll be to the line in no time :)

jmiller82

Bump..

I was just wondering if the dead man's float (prone float) is as difficult as it sounds/looks. I'm imagining us laying face down in the water with arms outstretched to each side, trying to keep our bodies afloat, with an occaisonal breath every 20-30 secs. Is this a pretty close rendition of what it's like? If so, it doesn't seem that difficult. But if not, and if they're actually watching how we take our breath and how motionless we are, etc., then it could be a $hitfit for some, including myself.. As far as I understood, OCS prone float is 5 mins, and then API's prone float is 3 mins, AFTER you do the 2 minute treading of water (all in flight suit)? Any insight into this would be appreciated...

GMan1976

Banned
This has to be a joke. We had to swim one mile in full flight gear, jump from a 35-foot platform, drown proof (dead flaot) for 15 minutes, swim 200 yards with the combination strokes, and swim the length of the pool underwater.

Um, ok THIS has to be a joke.... full-flight gear my ass. The mile is in a bag only. Also, a 35 ft platform??? YEAH RIGHT! That's 3 1/2 stories, bruddah! The platform for the swim qual is roughly 15 feet (maybe less). Dead float is 3-5 mins. Also, you only swim about 3/4 of the pool underwater (to the black line).

As for attriting in swim... according to the PO's in charge of the pool, there has NEVER been an attrite from API swim (DOR, maybe, but no "failures"). If you can't get it right, they'll work with you till you can....